Windows 10: Send-to mail recipient association to Outlook but should be to Mail

Discus and support Send-to mail recipient association to Outlook but should be to Mail in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I recently visited my sister and set up a new computer for her with Windows 10, MS Office 2016 professional and using the Windows Mail. She is as... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by Hamish, Feb 9, 2018.

1. Hamish Win User

Send-to mail recipient association to Outlook but should be to Mail

I recently visited my sister and set up a new computer for her with Windows 10, MS Office 2016 professional and using the Windows Mail. She is as pleased as punch but when wanting to send jpegs to a mail recipient (and resize them accordingly) it asks her to create a new profile in Outlook.

So I must have installed Outlook by mistake, and further it has somehow associated itself with the "send to mail recipient" function.

The computer is in a different country so its quite a problem for me.

First thought was to uninstall Outlook only. This does not seem to be easily possible.
    settings, app, apps and features, Office 2016..., modify - then allows only repair or uninstall. To be honest I am afraid to ask her to press the uninstall button in case it uninstalls the lot and then I have an even bigger problem!

Will it give us the choice to uninstall only Outlook?

Second thought was to correct the file associations.
    Settings, apps, default apps, mail is set to Mail
    set defaults by app, Mail has everything set to Mail
    set defaults by app, Outlook has the sendto function now set to Mail (but this did not help even after a restart). There are a lot of other file types/functions here which don't seem to give the option of being set to Mail.

What can we do? Is there something in choose default applications by protocol which can be reassigned to Mail from Outlook?

Thanks for your advice...

:)

Hamish, Feb 9, 2018

2. Send to mail recipient

It says Outlook then my e-mail address, however , my desktop says the same "Outlook then email address", and it has no problem with "send to mail recipient".Please reply *** Email address is removed for privacy ***.

EricSmith_479, Feb 9, 2018
  3. Rene Grom Win User
    ms mail in windows 10...

How do I make Windows 10 Send To -> Mail recipient open Windows Mail?

Currently it tries to open Outlook 2016, which I don't use.

In default programs Windows Mail is defined as the default Email client and I also tried to look in "choose default apps by protocol" and URL:MailTo is associated with Windows Mail.

I couldn't find how to change the .MAPIMail association.

Rene Grom, Feb 9, 2018
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, this is not straightforward. The Sendto mail recipient requires a MAPI compliant mail program (If you examine shell:sendto you will see MailRecipient.MAPIMail). Essentially this also requires a client that can be invoked with a parameter - and universal apps don't take parameters- they are not exe files.

See:
    Windows 10 error - Microsoft Community
    for more discussion and find

- it seems this offers a solution.

Please let us know if it works. Thanks.

dalchina, Feb 9, 2018
  5. Hamish Win User
    Hi Dalchina,

thanks for your help.

Before I try to get my sister to install SendViaMailApp.exe, can you tell me if it allows the resizing of jpegs? This is the main reason for using the "send to mail recipient" otherwise one could just use the attach paperclip in Mail, (which works fine).

Thanks again

Hamish, Feb 9, 2018
  6. dalchina New Member
    We're only talking about trying to fix MS's omission as regards handling email with Mail
    I use Thunderbird, so I haven't tried this fix personally; I found it for you with a search.

The Send To feature is merely a convenience in that it saves browsing.

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Send-to mail recipient association to Outlook but should be to Mail - Similar Threads - Send mail recipient

2. Mail will not connect with send to mail recipiant

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mail will not connect with send to mail recipiant: I have been using a number of different email programs. Recently had to give one up and now using outlook again. A feature I use a lot is right click images and use send to mail recipient, I have tried changing the setting to mail and reboot. change to google, reboot. and...
  3. Mail will not connect with send to mail recipiant

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mail will not connect with send to mail recipiant: I have been using a number of different email programs. Recently had to give one up and now using outlook again. A feature I use a lot is right click images and use send to mail recipient, I have tried changing the setting to mail and reboot. change to google, reboot. and...
  4. "Send to mail recipient" problem!

in Windows 10 Customization
    "Send to mail recipient" problem!: I use Windows 10. The “send to email recipient” always worked perfectly until Microsoft performed an update a couple of months ago.I have tried every suggestion on the internet and none have worked. Thunderbird is selected as my default email program. Outlook is my...
  5. Editing "send to: mail recipient"

in Windows 10 Customization
    Editing "send to: mail recipient": I have a friend whose computer recently died. He is now running the latest version of Windows 10 and uses Eudora 7 as his mail client. He does not wish to change. I have tried! Previously when using Windows 10 if he wanted to send a picture which he wanted to compress he...
  6. Mail's association with "Send to", "Mail recipient" cannot be repaired

Mail's association with "Send to", "Mail recipient" cannot be repaired: Hi, This Mail feature has never worked since day 1 for me. The error "There is no email program associated to perform the requested action" persists despite all corrective actions. I've followed all of the Microsoft Support suggestions, starting with resetting the Mail...
  7. Send to mail recipient not working

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Send to mail recipient not working: I use the "send to mail recipient" in the past by highlighting files, right click and selecting "send to mail recipient". An email would open in outlook with the files as attachments. When I do this now file explorer closes and no email is created. I have windows 10 and use...
  8. Cannot use Windows Mail in "Send to -> mail recipient"

Cannot use Windows Mail in "Send to -> mail recipient": As it stands, this problem is still unsolved, and not even responded by Microsoft after 4 YEARS (!!!): https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-set-windows-mail-app-as-default-email/cc01a046-7f46-4567-8f82-444fd5abf6e6. This is VERY important for my...
  9. "Send to Mail Recipient" not associated with Mail app?

in Browsers and Email
    "Send to Mail Recipient" not associated with Mail app?: Hello all, I remember this being a problem in Windows 8.1 and to my surprise, it's still present in Windows 10. When right-clicking a file (e.g. an image) selecting "Send To" and then choosing "Mail recipient" Windows would say that there isn't an e-mail program associated...
  10. Send To Mail Recipient Issues

in Browsers and Email
    Send To Mail Recipient Issues: At some point in the last couple of weeks the Send To/Mail Recipient function has stopped working. When I select a file and do the send to, Windows starts thinking, the explorer window that I have selected this from stops taking input and then eventually, with no error...