Windows 10: SERIOUS HELP NEEDED: How To Store Files So They Can't Altered?

Discus and support SERIOUS HELP NEEDED: How To Store Files So They Can't Altered? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hey everyone, I'm sorry to be creating a thread about this, but this is a super worrying problem for me. This is my problem: I want to backup... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by NiceAndShy, Oct 19, 2016.

1. SERIOUS HELP NEEDED: How To Store Files So They Can't Altered?

Hey everyone, I'm sorry to be creating a thread about this, but this is a super worrying problem for me.

This is my problem:

I want to backup all of my work files and personal files and ebook files which are in the format of .PDF files. I was going to use an external USB HDD, BUT it seems so easy for someone to just open up a .PDF and just make slight changes to it like removing text or altering the text slightly so that the information is changed without me knowing it.

The best idea I had was that I could use a non-rewritable disc like a DVD-R to store the files.

I'd be VERY grateful for any help!

:)

NiceAndShy, Oct 19, 2016
  2. Riel Alc Win User

How to backup so when needed back they look as when backed up?

***Personal information deleted by the moderator. Please see the
    Microsoft Community Frequently Asked Questions
    for more information on how you can protect your privacy.***

***Personal information deleted by the moderator. Please see the
    Microsoft Community Frequently Asked Questions
    for more information on how you can protect your privacy.***

Based on the screenshots you've provided, it seems that all of the backed up files are saved emails. An EML file is an email message saved using Outlook Express and any other email clients.

For further checking, have you backed up other files (not email)? If yes, are you getting the same result? (File name shows as code).

We'll be waiting for your response.

Riel Alc, Oct 19, 2016
  3. Riel Alc Win User
    How to backup so when needed back they look as when backed up?

Hi Adela,

We have read the first part of your post, and we'd like to know how you
    backed up your files for better assistance?

Note: The backup files should be the same with the original files.

Please also check the useful links below to know more about Microsoft Community:

We're looking forward to your reply

Riel Alc, Oct 19, 2016
  4. shimshom Win User

SERIOUS HELP NEEDED: How To Store Files So They Can't Altered?

You can use password protection on your PDF files which is usually built into whatever PDF software you're using and it's best to use a password to restrict opening a PDF file than one to restrict editing it as software like Password Recovery Kit Professional can easily remove editing passwords but not to open it. You can also use Winrar or 7-Zip or similar compression software to password protect your files. Either way you should back up your files on either an external hard drive or a DVD or both as well as take a system image often to protect against loss of data. Other ways to protect very sensitive docs is to password protect it with Winrar or others then hide it inside a picture so most people opening the file will just see the picture without knowing there's something else in there

shimshom, Oct 19, 2016
  5. RolandJS Win User
    I recommend making passworded full images of your OS partition and data partition onto your reliable and trustworthy external media. Two platter-driven usb 1-3TB external HDs should be aok for your computer. For example, Macrium Reflect and Image for Windows are just two of many backup/restore programs that will let you password each full image you make.

RolandJS, Oct 19, 2016
  6. Thanks so much!

I've got Adobe Acrobat installed. Is this all I need

What about ebooks that are not created by me? For example, ebooks made by an author?

NiceAndShy, Oct 19, 2016
  7. mrgeek Win User
    You can password protect any pdf in Acrobat by clicking File/Properties/Security. See screens. A quicker way, if you have few people looking at your drive, is to put the pdf's in a folder and make it Hidden so someone would have to enable it in View (if he were really snoopy).

SERIOUS HELP NEEDED: How To Store Files So They Can't Altered? [​IMG]

mrgeek, Oct 19, 2016
  8. SERIOUS HELP NEEDED: How To Store Files So They Can't Altered?

Wow, your screenshots are a big help!

I just tried doing that with 5 different .PDF files, but I'm given this error:
    "The document's security method restricts what can be done to the document."

I tried uploading a screenshot to make it easier for you, but I couldn't get it to work.

EDIT:

I found another way called 'Protect' inside Adobe Acrobat that says this, but it's $15 a month and I want something free: Protect sensitive information

Prevent others from copying, printing and editing information in PDFs.

NiceAndShy, Oct 19, 2016
  9. shimshom Win User
    Do you want it protected from anyone seeing it or just editing it as you can protect your eBook files with Winrar or the free and excellent 7-Zip by archiving them with a password and saving on whatever media. Search Google on how to access the protection panel from the tools menu in Adobe and try to do the password from there

shimshom, Oct 19, 2016
  10. mrgeek Win User
    I'm given this error: "The document's security method restricts what can be done to the document."

Did you try to edit a pdf after entering the password ? Try it to see what IS restricted.

I tried uploading a screenshot to make it easier for you, but I couldn't get it to work.

See screens. Click icon in reply and use dialog box that opens.

The suggestion in post 7 is along the same line as my Hidden folder suggestion. Put the content you want to protect into a folder, zip it and add password. Do you regularly backup to recover orig's ? Is your computer password protected or why do others have access to view or edit YOUR files ?

mrgeek, Oct 19, 2016
  11. Certainly nobody could alter the files on a DVD-R or CD-R after you'd burned it.
    Locking the media in a safe might give you some peace of mind.

markweatherill, Oct 19, 2016
  12. PiKo Win User
    I encrypt sensitive files, or folders with files, with Kryptel (freeware). Never forget your password!

13. Winuser Win User

A word of caution if you decide to use DVD media. Most blank DVD media you find in stores today are junk. You may wind up with a lot of coasters. Even worse someday in the future you may not be able to access your data on the DVD. DVDs are slowing phasing out. HDDs and flash drives are getting so inexpensive today that they are your best bet. *Smile

Winuser, Oct 19, 2016
  14. I want to be able to store the files and know that they can't be altered in the future by anyone, including myself.

NiceAndShy, Oct 22, 2016
  15. shimshom Win User
    If you don't want to ever edit pdf files you can always convert them to picture files which can be done in Acrobat and others and reassemble them as pdf again then put a password on opening the files or use compression software as discussed before to archive them with a password then back it all up to an external hard drive which can be kept disconnected from the computer ones the backup is done. You don't have to archive one file at a time but can compress whole folders in one archive and use the built in password protection to keep it safe. When creating an archive and putting a password make sure you tick an option called "Encrypt File Names" which will, in either Winrar or 7-Zip, make it ask for a password to open the whole archive and not the individual files inside it which can become tedious to do as you would need to re-type the password for every file inside. You can do the same for your eBooks as far as also compressing them with a password and backing up to an external hard drive as well as DVDs

shimshom, Oct 22, 2016
Thema:

1. SERIOUS HELP NEEDED: How To Store Files So They Can't Altered? - Similar Threads - SERIOUS HELP NEEDED

2. Need a serious help. ASAP.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Need a serious help. ASAP.: My windows 10 is currently experiencing various errors please this is serious and i have a project that i've been working on postponedi have a driver issues in my pc by the time my uncle gave it to me. it's intel core i5 4460, GT 730 and has 5gb of ram 4gb and 1 gb sticks...
  3. I seriously need help

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I seriously need help: OK, so today I found that there was a random .txt file on my desktop. When i opened it, it showed [1013/103251.495:ERROR:directory_reader_win.cc(43)] FindFirstFile: The system cannot find the path specified. (0x3) I was curious and searched it up, turns out that it could be...
  4. I seriously need help.

I seriously need help.: I installed Ubuntu onto my PC and now I can’t reinstall windows. I’ve been freaking out about this for hours. I’ve replaced my SSD, reset my BIOS, and looked up various videos for a fix. I’ve tried reinstalling windows, but every time I put my windows install/boot USB into my...
  5. [SERIOUS HELP NEEDED] Retrieve deleted files with folders

[SERIOUS HELP NEEDED] Retrieve deleted files with folders: Title. A day ago I accidentally deleted one massive folder (about 150 GBs) containing all my files that I need for work. Due to its size, Windows asked if I want to delete them permanently since the folder was too big for recycle bin. Accidentally I clicked yes and now I'm...
  6. NEED SERIOUS HELP

NEED SERIOUS HELP: [ATTACH] i was pressing delete button continuously while in the desktop and then suddenly i after sometime I saw that the "this pc" icon is gone with some other icons and shortcuts. I pressed ctrl+z multiple times and the icons and shortcuts came back but "this pc" didnt...
  7. Need Some Serious Help

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Need Some Serious Help: _________________________________________________________________________________________________________ CONCLUSION _________________________________________________________________________________________________________ Your system seems to be having difficulty handling...
  8. Need seriously help if possible - So many issues out of nowhere..

Need seriously help if possible - So many issues out of nowhere..: I have had this PC for a bit more than a year with no issues. I built it myself. However around two weeks ago I started facing BSOD, out of nowhere. I don't remember doing anything major, like installing any programs and whatnot. First I ignored it, but then it kept...
  9. Serious Help Needed. Recovery needed.

in Windows 10 Support
    Serious Help Needed. Recovery needed.: A Senior MS Tech I was working with said he wanted to reinstall windows 10 version 1809 because after 4 MS updates, that is after the 4th MS update, MS Edge quits working and will not start. This is the fourth tech and the 2nd senior tech I have had to work with. The...
  10. In Need of Serious Help: How To Stop Apps From Scanning My Files?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    In Need of Serious Help: How To Stop Apps From Scanning My Files?: This problem has been giving me so much anxiety and has been on my mind a lot. My anxiety level has gotten to the point where I've even stopped installing 3rd party apps! This is my problem: I'm worried that an app that's running is able to view and access the other...