Windows 10: Serious Problem with BIOS after installing W10.

Discus and support Serious Problem with BIOS after installing W10. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; This is as serious as it sounds. When cold booting my Acer the Acer splash screen has lost the "Press F2 for setup" option. I can't now enter the BIOS.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Mooly, Oct 2, 2014.

1. Mooly Win User

Serious Problem with BIOS after installing W10.

This is as serious as it sounds. When cold booting my Acer the Acer splash screen has lost the "Press F2 for setup" option. I can't now enter the BIOS. I tried three times. Shutdown and boot. No BIOS options.

Fortunately by booting into a working W10 install and then selecting "restart" the Splash screen with "Press F2" appears.

If I couldn't start W1... would the laptop become a brick ? I had always assumed that come what may, the BIOS would always be accessible and allow me to pop in a bootable disc to recover. Seems that may not be the case.

:)

Mooly, Oct 2, 2014

2. Windows 10 can't be installed due to incompatible NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M graphics card

I successfully downloaded w10 to a thumb drive and then installed it. a few minor problems but nothing serious. No conflict now with NVidia (that I am aware of.....

MARCMASEMAN, Oct 2, 2014
  3. cast to device in Windows 10 not working

This seems to be a widespread W10 problem.

Microsoft need to get serious about resolving it.

NickTucker55, Oct 2, 2014
  4. bromanbro Win User

I ain't no professional, but I don't think software modifies BIOS (outside of BIOS firmware updates). People would be way more cautious to run beta versions of Windows if it could brick their computer.

bromanbro, Oct 2, 2014
  5. Mooly Win User
    Here are some pictures. I can confirm that the BIOS accessibility disappears on this PC when W10 is installed.

Mooly, Oct 2, 2014
  6. bromanbro Win User
    Once again, I ain't no professional so ignore everything I say but

It shouldn't have anything to do with 10, as even if you have an empty hard drive, the BIOS works the same as ever.

ONCE AGAIN I KNOW NOTHING, but maybe restore factory settings in BIOS?

bromanbro, Oct 2, 2014
  7. Mooly Win User
    I would have thought exactly the same... until today. I can confirm that pressing F2 when the splash screen is displayed has zero effect. I have to boot into W10, then restart and only then will it work.

Only reporting what I find *Smile and I've used the BIOS many many times over the years and have never had or seen anything like this before.

Mooly, Oct 2, 2014
  8. bromanbro Win User

ya it's weird. Maybe should post on the Preview forums, as MS dudes occasionally respond. Even if you can bear with it, MS would appreciateit if you actually did find a significant bug affecting ~1% of users.

bromanbro, Oct 2, 2014
  9. waltc Win User
    OK, next time you go into your bios, *disable* the splash screen in the bios (you may have to hunt for a bit to find the setting in the bios)--I always disable mine as a matter of habit because I like to be able to watch the bootup information as the system boots. That should do it for you. A bios splash screen is only there to hide the bootup information, remember--and of course to plug the company that made your laptop...*Wink

waltc, Oct 2, 2014
  10. Mooly Win User
    Thanks guys. I'll have a look at the options later. There 'aint that many options there tbh, its an 8 yr old Acer laptop.

Mooly, Oct 2, 2014
  11. If the Windows Fast Startup is enabled your PC goes into a hybrid sleep mode instead of a full shutdown. Try turning Fast Startup off and see if you BIOS boot options come back. Fast Startup - Turn On or Off in Windows 8 Your BIOS wasn't modified, its just in a sleep like mode.

alphanumeric, Oct 2, 2014
  12. bromanbro Win User
    Windows 8 has that too, tho I noticed that 10's is faster, so maybe 10 told his BIOS to **** off, Windows is ready 2 roll!

bromanbro, Oct 2, 2014
  13. Mooly Win User

Haven't looked yet although I don't recall seeing any of those fast boot options when I set the power plans up. I'm on a Dell with 8.1 just now and that too hasn't got those options. Maybe because I set the power plans to never sleep or hibernate and I always set lid and power buttons to shutdown fully. Same for critical battery level.

The Dell has super fast boot times from cold (<15secs) something which the Acer running either W8.1 or W10 doesn't come close to matching (about 90 seconds give or take).

Mooly, Oct 2, 2014
  14. theog Win User
    DISABLE Quick Boot in the BIOS.

theog, Oct 2, 2014
  15. NonXtreme Win User
    Well you have fast startup enable which more like hybrid between hibernate and shutdown. When you shutdown your pc windows will hibernate the core of system instead of completely shut it down thus make booting much more quickly. But this doesn't apply when you choose restart option because windows completely shut your pc down and then do a real cold boot.

So your pc is perfectly normal, my old acer laptop, which were made to run windows 7, now running windows 8.1 with fast boot enable does the same as your pc.

To avoid fast boot you can hold the shift key when you press shutdown button. This make windows completely shutdown your pc.
    Or if you want to permanently disable fast startup you can follow this guide
    Fast Startup - Turn On or Off in Windows 8
    It's for windows 8 but should be the same with windows 10

NonXtreme, Oct 2, 2014
Thema:

1. Serious Problem with BIOS after installing W10. - Similar Threads - Serious Problem BIOS

2. A serious problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    A serious problem: My laptop is switched on but then my screen is still black and I don’t know what is happening Can someone help me with any solution? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/a-serious-problem/67266ddc-8d99-482a-a25e-35132fd90fa3
  3. A serious problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    A serious problem: My laptop is switched on but then my screen is still black and I don’t know what is happening Can someone help me with any solution? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/a-serious-problem/67266ddc-8d99-482a-a25e-35132fd90fa3
  4. A serious problem

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Serious Bluetooth issues after updating to W11 from W10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Serious Bluetooth issues after updating to W11 from W10: Windows 11 21H2 updated from Windows 10on an HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop i7-9700In W10, I had no trouble with BluetoothAfter Update to W11 = major Bluetooth IssuesBluetooth devices all get easily recognised and connected to W11W11 shows the device is connected = and the device...
  6. Serious Bluetooth issues after updating to W11 from W10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Serious Bluetooth issues after updating to W11 from W10: Windows 11 21H2 updated from Windows 10on an HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop i7-9700In W10, I had no trouble with BluetoothAfter Update to W11 = major Bluetooth IssuesBluetooth devices all get easily recognised and connected to W11W11 shows the device is connected = and the device...
  7. seriously slugging after clean install

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    seriously slugging after clean install: Hey, I have a fairly decent laptop and have performed a clean install of windows 10 however its now sooooooo slow in untrue. If I click on something then there is about 5 seconds before anything happens on the screen. Opening websites is also slow and rendering any...
  8. Multiple problems with W10 install after BIOS update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Multiple problems with W10 install after BIOS update: Hi, I was doing a fresh install for a friend because her laptop would crash if the screen was closed and noticed she was running v1.0 bios on her Toshiba C50-b-14d laptop. I downloaded the newest version 5.1 from the official site and upgraded the bios. When I installed W10...
  9. W10 installation problem

W10 installation problem: I installed W10 on my W7 machine the first day it was available but I reverted back to W7 after two weeks due to video driver problems. Now I plan to install 10 again on a brand new hard drive in the same machine and I'm hoping that I can switch hard drives back and forth...
  10. Problem with installing W10

Problem with installing W10: Hi I'm having problems with installing W10. First of all, for some reason, I'm still waiting for the upgrade to commense automatically. When checking the PC, via the installation tool, I'm told that there's a problem with the driver for the network card. Maybe this...