Windows 10: Serious windows 10 aniv. ed. system image restore problem

Discus and support Serious windows 10 aniv. ed. system image restore problem in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I made several images using the built in Windows 7 system image function on Windows 10 and today I had a need to restore one of them. Images are on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by idainc, Oct 22, 2016.

1. idainc Win User

Serious windows 10 aniv. ed. system image restore problem

I made several images using the built in Windows 7 system image function on Windows 10 and today I had a need to restore one of them.

Images are on a portable WD HDD that could be seen in windows explorer. I booted to a year old rescue disk and the images could not be seen. Then I made a new disk and the same issue existed. And MS phone support had me go into windows and try the built in image restore function. Still nothing.

There is a major disconnect tryin to do a system restore from an image at the moment. MS had not heard of it yet. *Huh

:)

idainc, Oct 22, 2016

2. System Image Backup Stalling at 97%

After I UNINSTALLED Acronis True Image backup the System Image Backup of Windows 10 no longer stopped before completion and now works. So make sure you don't have this software installed.

I am unaware of whether this Windows 10 Image Backup of my Win 64 Home edition can be restored on a RAID-ed system. My C: drive is RAID-ed.

SeniorNerd, Oct 22, 2016
  3. Windows 10 repair disk query

Hi,

Thank you for posting to our Microsoft Community.

Windows 10 repair disk and system image are two different things

You can use Windows 10 repair disk on multiple systems. A recovery drive can help you troubleshoot and fix problems with your PC, even if it won’t start. To create one, all you need is a USB drive. System recovery options can help
    you repair Windows if a serious error occurs.

A system image is an exact copy of a drive. By default, a system image includes the drives required for Windows to run. It also includes Windows and your system settings, programs, and files. You can use a system image to restore
    the contents of your computer if your hard disk or computer ever stops working. When you restore your computer from a system image, it's a complete restoration—you can't choose individual items to restore, and all of your current programs, system settings,
    and files are replaced with the contents of the system image.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Anup Karkal, Oct 22, 2016
  4. mrgeek Win User

You can't get to it from the Recovery console ? Action Center/Updates & security/Recovery/Advanced startup/Restart now will get you to Advanced Startup Options. Here's a tute on the screen options. Choose System image recovery -
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...dows-10-a.html

mrgeek, Oct 22, 2016
  5. idainc Win User
    Cant get to the portable HHD from any of these options. I can see it in Windows file explorer but not off DVD rescue or internal rescue function at all. DVD offers and option to find the driver (for a portable HHD) and I can see the files there but of course that does me no good. The MS rep thought this was a show stopper.

idainc, Oct 22, 2016
  6. Bree New Member
    Apparently not all USB ports are created equal. Depending on your make of PC, some may not be active when booting to recovery mode...

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Noteboo...a/td-p/5089943

Try another USB port.

7. idainc Win User
    I tried all 6 available This has repeatedly worked well on previous occasions.

idainc, Oct 22, 2016
  8. Bree New Member

Made any BIOS changes recently? It appears legacy USB support may be required for what you are trying to do.

http://www.intel.co.uk/content/www/u...000005860.html

9. idainc Win User
    Thank You Bree. Double checked BIOS and there are no USB settings at all. Also none of the conditions above apply.

This is a WD passport drive and I'm seeing a tend with them and Windows 10 occasionally not being recognized. This PC did fine with them until the anniversary edition came out. Another issue that came up was a sudden appearance of the log in screen when it never came up before (fixed).

I have an email in to WD regarding this.

idainc, Oct 22, 2016
  10. Bree New Member
    Yes, my Google research for you invariably had 'WD' in any results where the drive manufacturer was named. I've just checked and found that, even with AU and its latest updates, my restore can see every system image on my Toshiba USB HDDs.

11. idainc Win User
    Thank you for checking. MS is stumped

idainc, Oct 22, 2016
  12. idainc Win User
    Latest cumulative updates do not fix this issue as of 10/27

idainc, Oct 27, 2016
  13. Stitch194 Win User

idanc Check "Services" and make sure (VSS) the volume shadow service isn't disabled.

Stitch194, Oct 27, 2016
  14. idainc Win User
    Thanks. Started it and still doesn't see the portable drive. Macrium Reflect does.

idainc, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Serious windows 10 aniv. ed. system image restore problem - Similar Threads - Serious aniv system

2. System Image Restoration Problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System Image Restoration Problem: I've got a new computer win11 and a new external hard drive. I wanted to verify that I could restore a system image, so I created an image and attempted to restore it. I've always had windows home, and I've never used bitlocker, so I failed the image restore. The error...
  3. System Image Restoration Problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System Image Restoration Problem: I've got a new computer win11 and a new external hard drive. I wanted to verify that I could restore a system image, so I created an image and attempted to restore it. I've always had windows home, and I've never used bitlocker, so I failed the image restore. The error...
  4. Restoring System Image When System Image Restore Fails?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Restoring System Image When System Image Restore Fails?: Hi guys, Bear with me on this little odyssey. It's a bit of a ramble, and more just me moaning than asking an actual question, but if anyone can help me figure out where I was going wrong I can sleep a bit easier. I was working on a project to deploy a custom Windows image...
  5. Restoring Windows 10 System Image

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Restoring Windows 10 System Image: Is it possible to install recovery media on the same external hard drive as the system image? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/restoring-windows-10-system-image/1737c692-1129-4665-ad09-81159c764e5b
  6. Windows 10 system image restore problem

Windows 10 system image restore problem: I have a system image on a 2TB externat drive. I need to restore it to my computer. The system sees the drive and in the command prompt can access the system image folder but the "system image restore" in the Troubleshooter on either a USB drive or the "system repair disk" or...
  7. Windows 10 system image restore

Windows 10 system image restore: Saved an image of Windows 10 ssd along with data hard drive , attempted to restore using recovery CD, the data drive was copied but the system image restore failed with message 0x80070057 "The parameter is incorrect". I am using two new target drives . I have looked at about...
  8. System Image Restore Problem

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System Image Restore Problem: Hi everyone, I really need some help. I backed up my system using a system image about a month ago. Then just recently my system kept freezing. I went to reinstall windows and it kept crashing and therefore had no operating system on. So so I then used my windows 10...
  9. Restoring system using system image windows 10

Restoring system using system image windows 10: when restoring computer from system image in windows 10, does the target drive have to be at least the same size as the drive containing the image. I'm getting contradictory answers from various forums. also does it have to be an external drive ?...
  10. System Image not Restoring.

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System Image not Restoring.: Hi guys, so i reset my Toshiba laptop to its original factory settings and it came with windows 10 home. Then i had to clean install the windows on my laptop again because i was having some trouble with the touchpad drivers, so i wiped C. drive fully and installed window 10...