Windows 10: Server 2016 RX-480, new GPU Recommendation request

Discus and support Server 2016 RX-480, new GPU Recommendation request in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; That's what I did. I purchased VMware Workstation and put Server 2016 in a VM..... THANK YOU! Dave Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by dcbdbis, Apr 5, 2018.

1. dcbdbis Win User

Server 2016 RX-480, new GPU Recommendation request

That's what I did. I purchased VMware Workstation and put Server 2016 in a VM.....

THANK YOU!

Dave

dcbdbis, Apr 5, 2018
  2. dcbdbis Win User

Good Afternoon Community,

I have been awarded a contract that requires Server 2016. I have contacted AMD as the RX-480 is not supported on server 2016. I can (and have) made it work, but the game settings and fan control - the whole catalyst suite can't be installed under Server 2016...So I worry about overheating the card.

I run Skyrim and two different flight sims for entertainment. I use one workstation for both business and games.

Is there a GPU that AMD supports under Server that has the power of my RX-480 to run games as well?

Or am I going to have to dual-boot. Server for work, and W10Pro for everything else?

Recommendations appreciated!

Thank You!

Dave

:)

dcbdbis, Apr 18, 2018
  3. critical_process_died

my specs: cpu: i5 7400, mobo: h270 gigabyte gaming 3, gpu: amd rx 480, 8gb ram dual channel 2133mhz

here's my minidumps.

MEGA

msinfo:

MEGA

andrei03popa, Apr 18, 2018
  4. Server 2016 RX-480, new GPU Recommendation request

Won't set to a higher resolution

The gpu is a Radeon(TM) RX 460 Graphics and the recommended resolution is 1920x1080

D34TH AS54S51N, Apr 18, 2018
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there
    Not the answer you want -- but in general SERVERS are designed (as is their software) to run 24 /7 as file servers, Internet gateways, web site hosting, cloud providers etc and often from the command line as they can support a whole slew of VM's . Running as a desktop / workstation is a different type of issue.

IMO your best bet might be to look and see if you could run the Windows 2016 server as a VM (Nothing wrong these days in Virtualising servers) from the W10 desktop.

It depends on whether your work with the W2016 server needs access to the real hardware or not. If 90% of the time the VM will be sufficient then just dual boot for the odd time you need the real physical machine.

Otherwise I'd go for a small "Cube" type of server -- the HP ProLiant GEN 10 has a decent CPU, can be picked up reasonably cheaply, has 4 drive bays, can boot from SSD if you connect SSD to SATA port where DVD would normally go. Has two Video output ports (DVI but you can convert to HDMI with an adapter) and runs W10 / W2016 server - no problem.

The issue here is you have rather two different extreme ends of what a computer has to do and it's not really decently possible in a lot of cases to get a single piece of kit that does both equally well -- especially where gaming is involved.

I'd certainly if I were you look at the Virtual Machine option - plenty of people on these Forums have experience in setting these up and running them !!

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 22, 2018
Thema:

Server 2016 RX-480, new GPU Recommendation request

1. Server 2016 RX-480, new GPU Recommendation request - Similar Threads - Server 2016 480

2. GPU Recommendation

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    GPU Recommendation: Hi All, Long time and no talk. I am looking to get a new desktop and since its impossible to get a GPU at MSRP I just wanted to see your recommendations for a GPU I was looking to get a RTX 3060ti but I see a lot of AMD products now and I was wondering how the AMD holds up....
  3. GPU Recommendation

GPU Recommendation: Hi All, Long time and no talk. I am looking to get a new desktop and since its impossible to get a GPU at MSRP I just wanted to see your recommendations for a GPU I was looking to get a RTX 3060ti but I see a lot of AMD products now and I was wondering how the AMD holds up....
  4. GPU RX!2

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    GPU RX!2: Fortnite is not letting me play because i need a better gpu is it necessary for me to buy A new gpu i currently have a GPU RX12 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/gpu-rx2/46854886-f5ad-4ce3-aaac-39abc10acaee
  5. Which GPU is Better RX 1660 or RX 5500 XT??

Which GPU is Better RX 1660 or RX 5500 XT??: I have a older Dell XPS I7 3370 with 12gb ddr3 ram with a 460w power supply I am looking to upgrade my HD 7700 video card. Which of the 2 videos cards is best RX 1660 or RX 5500 XT I am not a high end gamer I am looking for a nice video card under $200 that work with my 460w...
  6. Server 2016

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Server 2016: I have a Hp Compaq 8200 elite I7 with 16GB memory, can I install Microsoft 2016 on this hardware and get a reasonable system, I am more interested in function than speed. It will be used as the server in a security test lab environment for virus/malware testing. The network...
  7. Rx 480 fps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Rx 480 fps: Hey! Kinda new to the gaming world (well with pc, have been using a ps3 for a while). Just bought a 2nd hand pc with a Sapphire RX 480 8GB graphics card. After looking at many reviews it's suggested that the RX 480 comes just under the GTX 1060. I hope it will do a good job...
  8. Problems with new GPU (RX 570)

in Cortana
    Problems with new GPU (RX 570): I have had no problems with using my PC up till now, after having installed my new GPU. The Windows search bar does not reveal any results and most applications are not opening. I had an error when opening CSGO which said I had a problem with hardware software, but this has...
  9. Recommendation Request. Clipboard extender.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recommendation Request. Clipboard extender.: I have been Using Yankee Clipper for years. Since Windows XP at least. Recently it's been throwing an "Error Saving File." As this program was last updated in 2000 (I think) and no new versions are in the offing I thought rather than troubleshoot I'd look for something more...
  10. Should I buy a GTX 970 second hand, or a brand new RX 480?

Should I buy a GTX 970 second hand, or a brand new RX 480?: So, someone is selling a second hand, 5 month old GTX 970 4GB for £150. Should I get this or spend £210 on a brand new RX 480 8GB. I know that the 970 only really has 3.5GB of VRAM and the other 500mb is slower VRAM. I also know that AMD are good with their driver updates and...