Windows 10: Server Backup....with a twist

Discus and support Server Backup....with a twist in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I am looking for a product I can install on my Server 2016 box at home that will backup two laptops and a tower....but store the backups on a NAS.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by DeaconFrost, Aug 21, 2017.

1. Server Backup....with a twist

I am looking for a product I can install on my Server 2016 box at home that will backup two laptops and a tower....but store the backups on a NAS. Preferably free.

I've been looking at Veeam and Vembu options, but it seems that they just get installed (fully) on each endpoint. If that's the best I can do, so be it. I was hoping to manage it from a console on the server, much like WHS used to do. I don't need scheduling or anything enterprise-like.

:)

DeaconFrost, Aug 21, 2017

2. Changing Windows Live ID... With a twist.

Today I changed my Windows Live ID. It's the same account, but I changed the address (the actual e-mail, not just an alias) to create a Live email address to replace the Yahoo! email account that all of my stuff (including my Windows Live ID) was tied
    to. I have a Windows Phone, and it's still listed as my Yahoo! email on the accounts settings. I thought this was supposed to change, for starters, and second, it tells me that it's not syncing... which is weird. What do I do? Supposedly, this is all supposed
    to change within 48 hours.

AaronMcRuer, Aug 21, 2017
  3. Entegy Win User
    Changing Windows Live ID... With a twist.

Texts, app data and settings cannot be backed up and restored in that manner. Yes, it really, really sucks.

Pictures can be synced to your Mac or PC. Tell me which one to find out how. Contacts and calendars are backed up to the appropriate account (Windows Live, Google, Facebook, Exchange)

Entegy, Aug 21, 2017
  4. Kari Win User

Server Backup....with a twist

Macrium CMC (Central Management Console) is my recommendation, con being that it requires a paid for Home or Workstation license for each machine. When set up on Server, it takes care of backups of all network / domain computers, using any location you prefer as image repository like for instance your NAS.

No tutorials yet at Ten Forums but I wrote this introduction almost a year ago: First look: Macrium CMC - Central Management Console - Windows 10 Forums

5. pparks1 Win User
    Veeam doesn't back up physical boxes at all, does it? I think it only connects at the hypervisor level.

pparks1, Aug 21, 2017
  6. They have a new Veeam Agent for Windows that's free and does run on physical machines. I downloaded it, thinking it was console driven from a server, but it isn't. I'm not a fan of local SQL installs, just to run a backup, either.

DeaconFrost, Aug 22, 2017
  7. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there
    you could set up in CRONTAB to run rsync at specific times with a parameter for the laptop you are backing up.

If the laptop has shared files it's even easier as you can use rsync --and if your server has a GUI the GRSYNC interface is brilliant. (All 100% free),

Server Backup....with a twist [​IMG]

I'm assuming your running a conventional type of Linux distro on your server and not some QNAP proprietary stuff as these methods might not work on your server in these cases.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Aug 23, 2017
  8. Server Backup....with a twist

Nope...Windows Server 2016 Standard.

DeaconFrost, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Server Backup....with a twist

1. Server Backup....with a twist - Similar Threads - Server Backup twist

2. Windows server 2019 file server backup server.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows server 2019 file server backup server.: Hello,So basically I have a server running server 2019 dedicated for files and all the network drives / users home spaces etc. What I really want to do is get another server and set the new server up as a fail back. So, if there's any issues with the main server it will...
  3. Windows server 2019 file server backup server.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows server 2019 file server backup server.: Hello,So basically I have a server running server 2019 dedicated for files and all the network drives / users home spaces etc. What I really want to do is get another server and set the new server up as a fail back. So, if there's any issues with the main server it will...
  4. MsMpEng.exe query - with a twist

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    MsMpEng.exe query - with a twist: AVG said that MsMpEng.exe is trying to access my Firefox login information, but I don't have FF installed; haven't used it for years, and never on this PC.I know that MsMpEng.exe is a legit Defender file, but I'm baffled by the FF reference. Would appreciate advice on this....
  5. Windows Server Backup on Win Server 2019 Is Always Perform Full Backup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Server Backup on Win Server 2019 Is Always Perform Full Backup: Hi I've installed Windows Server 2019, and there are users sharing files stored on the drive, and I installing "Windows Server Backup" to backup the files. But why does backups is always run full backup, instead of incremental backups after the first full backup? I set it to...
  6. Windows Server Backup on Win Server 2019 Is Always Perform Full Backup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Server Backup on Win Server 2019 Is Always Perform Full Backup: Hi I've installed Windows Server 2019, and there are users sharing files stored on the drive, and I installing "Windows Server Backup" to backup the files. But why does backups is always run full backup, instead of incremental backups after the first full backup? I set it to...
  7. Error 0xc000000e with a twist.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Error 0xc000000e with a twist.: Hey guys so my Asus Rog Laptop w/ Windows 10 took abit of a fall recently, it ended up knocking my SSD loose but I hadnt realized that was the issue til after I had already reinstalled windows on it multiple times. I installed windows 10 onto each of the drives at one point...
  8. server AD backup 2012 to server AD backup 2019

in Windows 10 Customization
    server AD backup 2012 to server AD backup 2019: Dear all , I had server 2012 installed with active directly but unfortunately the HDD got corrupted but i have AD backup in folder named as NTDS. Now i have installed server 2019 on a new HDD .IS there any way i can restore my OLD AD backup folder "NTDS " to my new AD...
  9. windows server Backup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows server Backup: I have issue with windows server backup i can not set the differential backup system there is no option is not flashing as well as please guide with to get that.this is windows server2012 while it goes to full backup with only day backup means yesterday backup only its...
  10. WSUS Backup Server

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    WSUS Backup Server: Hi Guys, One of my customer wants Secondary Server for WSUS Server Similar to Secondary ( Backup ) Active Directory in case of Failure. Consider a scenario : There are two WSUS Server on same network One is active and other is Redundant(Cold Spare or Backup). Widows...