Windows 10: Set CPU Process Priority for Applications in Windows 10

Discus and support Set CPU Process Priority for Applications in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Set CPU Process Priority for Applications in Windows 10 How to Set CPU Process Priority for Applications in Windows 10 Windows shares... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Polo6RGTI, Jul 22, 2017.

1. Polo6RGTI Win User

Set CPU Process Priority for Applications in Windows 10

How to: Set CPU Process Priority for Applications in Windows 10

How to Set CPU Process Priority for Applications in Windows 10

Windows shares processor resources between all running processes based upon their priority level. If a process (application) has a higher priority level, it gets more processor resources for better performance compared to a process having lower priority.

If you like, you can manually set priority for processes to run with a Realtime, High, Above normal, Normal, Below normal, or Low priority level in Windows based on your needs instead of the default priority. The changes you make to the priority level of a process (application) are only temporary and not set permanently. Once the application is closed or you restart the computer, Windows will forget the priority level you set for it.

This tutorial will show you how to change the process priority of applications for processor resources in Windows 10.

It is not recommended to set processes to have a realtime priority level since it could lower the performance of your system by causing all other lower priority processes to not have the resources they need.

When you set a 100% CPU program to real-time priority, you get what you asked for | The Old New Thing

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Change Priority of Running Process in Task Manager
    • Option Two: To Change Priority of Running Process in PowerShell
    • Option Three: To Change Priority of Running Process in Command Prompt
    • Option Four: To Start Application with a Set Priority in Command Prompt

OPTION ONE [/i] To Change Priority of Running Process in Task Manager
    1. Open Task Manager in more details view.

2. Click/tap on the Details tab, right click or press and hold on the process name (ex: "mspaint.exe"), click/tap on Set priority, and click/tap on the Realtime, High, Above normal, Normal, Below normal, or Low priority level you want to set for this process. (see screenshot below)

Set CPU Process Priority for Applications in Windows 10 [​IMG]

3. Click/tap on Change priority to confirm. (see screenshot below)

4. When finished, you can close Task Manager if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Change Priority of Running Process in PowerShell
    1. Open PowerShell.

2. Type the command below into PowerShell, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow Get-WmiObject Win32_process -filter 'name = "ProcessName"' | foreach-object { $_.SetPriority(PriorityLevelID) }

*note Substitute ProcessName in the command above with the actual name of the running process (ex: "mspaint.exe") you want to change the priority level of.Substitute PriorityLevelID in the command above with the number (ex: "32768") in the table below for the priority level (ex: "Above normal") you want to set for this process.

For example: Get-WmiObject Win32_process -filter 'name = "mspaint.exe"' | foreach-object { $_.SetPriority(32768) }

[table][tr][td]Priority Level ID[/td] [td]Priority Level Name[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]256[/td] [td]Realtime[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]128[/td] [td]High[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]32768[/td] [td]Above normal[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]32[/td] [td]Normal[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]16384[/td] [td]Below normal[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]64[/td] [td]Low[/td] [/tr] [/table]

3. When finished, you can close PowerShell if you like.

OPTION THREE [/i] To Change Priority of Running Process in Command Prompt
    1. Open a command prompt.

2. Type the command below you want to use into the command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshots below)
    *Arrow wmic process where name="ProcessName" CALL setpriority "PriorityLevelName"

OR

*Arrow wmic process where name="ProcessName" CALL setpriority PriorityLevelID

*note Substitute ProcessName in the command above with the actual name of the running process (ex: "mspaint.exe") you want to change the priority level of.

Substitute PriorityLevelName in the command above with the priority level name (ex: "Above normal") in the table below you want to set for this process.

Substitute PriorityLevelID in the command above with the number (ex: "32768") in the table below for the priority level (ex: "Above normal") you want to set for this process.

For example:

wmic process where name="mspaint.exe" CALL setpriority "Above normal"

OR

wmic process where name="mspaint.exe" CALL setpriority 32768

[table][tr][td]Priority Level ID[/td] [td]Priority Level Name[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]256[/td] [td]Realtime[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]128[/td] [td]High[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]32768[/td] [td]Above normal[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]32[/td] [td]Normal[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]16384[/td] [td]Below normal[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]64[/td] [td]Low[/td] [/tr] [/table]

3. When finished, you can close the command prompt if you like.

OPTION FOUR [/i] To Start Application with a Set Priority in Command Prompt
    1. Open a command prompt.

2. Type the command below into the command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow start "" /PriorityLevelName "Full path of application file"

*tip If you like, you can use the command below to create a shortcut that will always open the application with the set priority.

*Arrow cmd /c start "" /PriorityLevelName "Full path of application file"

*note Substitute PriorityLevelName in the command above with the priority level name (ex: "AboveNormal") in the table below you want to set for this process.

Substitute Full path of application file in the command above with the actual full path of the application file (ex: "C:\Windows\System32\mspaint.exe") you want to start.

For example: start "" /AboveNormal "C:\Windows\System32\mspaint.exe"

[table][tr][td]Priority Level Name[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Realtime[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]High[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]AboveNormal[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Normal[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]BelowNormal[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Low[/td] [/tr] [/table]

3. When finished, you can close the command prompt if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Polo6RGTI, Jul 22, 2017

2. Moden Setup Host using 50% CPU on Windows 10

What I can suggest you is to change the priority of the process in the task manager so as not to impact CPU availability.

It is also possible to reduce the priority of disk access but I do not know where exactly in Windows 10 ....

Julien Sybille, Jul 22, 2017
  3. Gil deG Win User
    CPU usage 100%

Hi Vivek,

Please be informed that the average Windows PC is permanently busy, constantly juggling system resources between the 50 or more processes it's running at any one time. But sometimes, for no apparent reason, a rogue application will demand all your processor's
    attention, and before you know it the process is running your processor at 100% all of the time. Since you've manage to discover the offending process, right-click it and select Set Priority > Low.

Now right-click the process again, then select Set Affinity, and clear all but one of the CPU boxes. The
    Processor Affinity setting tells Windows which CPU cores are allowed to run a particular application, and so by restricting it to one you'll free up the others for the rest of your programs.

Let us know how it goes.

Gil deG, Jul 22, 2017
Thema:

Set CPU Process Priority for Applications in Windows 10

1. Set CPU Process Priority for Applications in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Set CPU Process

2. How to Permanently Set Priority Processes Using Registry Editor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to Permanently Set Priority Processes Using Registry Editor: You can set the priority of a program you want to run using Regedit but unfortunately, it is not possible to do the same to set affinity as in most cases, you don't need to change the processor affinity unless for an older application or game that doesn't support...
  3. How to Permanently Set Priority Processes Using Registry Editor

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How to Permanently Set Priority Processes Using Registry Editor: You can set the priority of a program you want to run using Regedit but unfortunately, it is not possible to do the same to set affinity as in most cases, you don't need to change the processor affinity unless for an older application or game that doesn't support...
  4. How to Permanently Set Priority Processes Using Registry Editor

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. How to set priority for processes permanently.

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to set priority for processes permanently.: I am looking to set priority for processes permanently. Tried to do it via task manager but that is only temporary. Want to assign excel and chrome a higher priority than normal. Any clues how to do it and not via third party apps....
  6. Can’t set Process Priority in Task Manager of Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Can’t set Process Priority in Task Manager of Windows 10: [ATTACH]Some computer applications, especially games and digital design tools, demand massive computer resources to […] This article Can’t set Process Priority in Task Manager of Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  7. Change process' priority automatically

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Change process' priority automatically: Hello everyone, To begin with, I have an issue with a cod game. It starts with his priority to High and I every time I have to change the priority manually. The other apps are too laggy while I have the game open, and if change the priority to normal, they will be fixed. Is...
  8. How to set the CPU priority to prefer foreground apps

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    How to set the CPU priority to prefer foreground apps: When using Windows, chances are you’ll want the CPU to prioritize apps that are running in the foreground. This is because apps or programs in the foreground are the ones you are currently using, so setting Windows to prioritize them will help them run better and faster....
  9. How do I set the priority of an application?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I set the priority of an application?: I'm using Windows 10 for a machine tool control application. I need several exe files to have top priority. Is there a way to set this in Windows 10? Thanks, Andy*Nerd 58555
  10. Changing process priority or limiting maximum CPU

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Changing process priority or limiting maximum CPU: Is there any way to change task priority in W10, as it was in previous versions (Task Manager|Set Priority)? Dropbox likes to spend the first 10 minutes after waking up my computer taking 60-90% of processor cycles, and I've also noticed other processes which seem to pop...