Windows 10: Set Data Limit for Wi-Fi and Ethernet Network in Windows 10

Discus and support Set Data Limit for Wi-Fi and Ethernet Network in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Set Data Limit for Wi-Fi and Ethernet Network in Windows 10 How to Set Data Limit for Wi-Fi and Ethernet Network in Windows 10 Starting... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Set Data Limit for Wi-Fi and Ethernet Network in Windows 10

How to: Set Data Limit for Wi-Fi and Ethernet Network in Windows 10

How to Set Data Limit for Wi-Fi and Ethernet Network in Windows 10

Starting with metered ethernet network connection, tailor your data usage to your budget and needs.

Setting a data limit for a network connection will allow Windows to help you stay under its data limit. This won't change your data plan.

Starting with Windows 10 build 18956, network data usage has now been combined to show on the network status page.

This tutorial will show you how to set, edit, or remove a data limit to Wi-Fi and Ethernet network connections for all users in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Set Data Limit to Wi-Fi and Ethernet Connections in Settings
    • Option Two: Edit Data Limit for Wi-Fi and Ethernet Connections in Settings
    • Option Three: Remove Data Limit for Wi-Fi and Ethernet Connections in Settings

OPTION ONE [/i] Set Data Limit to Wi-Fi and Ethernet Connections in Settings
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the Network & Internet icon.

2. Click/tap on Data usage on the left side, select the network connection you want to set a data limit from the Show settings for drop menu on the right side, and click/tap on the Set limit button. (see screenshots below)

*note Starting with Windows 10 build 18956, you will need to click/tap on the Status icon on the left side instead, click/tap on the Data usage button of the network you want on the right side, and click/tap on the Enter limit button in Data usage.

Set Data Limit for Wi-Fi and Ethernet Network in Windows 10 [​IMG]

3. Set the data limit to what you want for this network connection, and click/tap on Save when finished. (see screenshots below)

4. When finished, you can close Settings if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] Edit Data Limit for Wi-Fi and Ethernet Connections in Settings

2. Click/tap on Data usage on the left side, select the network connection you want to edit the data limit from the Show settings for drop menu on the right side, and click/tap on the Edit limit button. (see screenshots below)

*note Starting with Windows 10 build 18956, you will need to click/tap on the Status icon on the left side instead, click/tap on the Data usage button of the network you want on the right side, and click/tap on the Edit limit button in Data usage.

3. Set the data limit to what you want for this network connection, and click/tap on Save when finished. (see screenshots below)

OPTION THREE [/i] Remove Data Limit for Wi-Fi and Ethernet Connections in Settings

2. Click/tap on Data usage on the left side, select the network connection you want to remove the data limit from the Show settings for drop menu on the right side, and click/tap on the Remove limit button. (see screenshots below)

*note Starting with Windows 10 build 18956, you will need to click/tap on the Status icon on the left side instead, click/tap on the Data usage button of the network you want on the right side, and click/tap on the Remove limit button in Data usage.

3. Click/tap on Remove to confirm. (see screenshot below)

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Apr 20, 2017
  2. Dumazi Win User

Wi-Fi, Ethernet, WinAudio fail to start on boot

I posted this on the Microsoft Community Help board and got little to no attention from the support engineers. Hopefully someone here can help.

I am having a recent problem with Windows 10. I have been running Windows 10 Home Edition from an on-line upgrade on my Lenovo Y510P for months with no issues. About a week ago, I started noticing that after a restart, my system tray icons for Audio and Network (either Wi-Fi or Ethernet) would start out fine but about half-way through the start up process would become marked with a red X or a warning yellow triangle with an exclamation point.

The Audio can be restarted either by running the trouble shooter or turning on the WinAudio service. The Ethernet actually works just fine but the yellow triangle warning icon persists and claims to either be constantly identifying the network or displays that the connection is unknown. Running the trouble shooter finds no problems. The Wi-Fi system tray icon appears with it's obligatory warning triangle and the Wi-Fi will connect to a known network if in range, but there is no Wi-Fi Icon in the Action Center, and no Wi-Fi entry in the Network & Internet Settings list either.

If you list the adapters in Network Connections, the Wi-Fi does appear and you can access the properties for the adapter, but if you try to select connect/disconnect from the context sensitive menu, it does not open a list of locally available networks, instead you are taken back to the All Settings Screen. Likewise if you run the trouble shooter on the Wi-Fi adapter when away from a known local Wi-Fi network, the troubleshooter tells you to pick a network from a list. When you click on the link, you are not taken to a list of networks, but rather back to the All Settings screen.

I have updated the drivers for the audio and both network adapters, The device manager claims all devices are operating appropriately. Malwarebytes reveals nothing.

I suspected the problem might be related shared service dependencies, but the problem persists through a clean boot in which both services and start-up items were tested. Neither a system scan nor a DISM repair revealed any corrupt system files.

I did notice that if I click on the "connect to the internet" icon on the log in screen, I do get a list of the dozen or so available Wi-Fi networks in my immediate vicinity. I can not see that list anywhere once I log into Windows 10 proper.

I created installation media (burned the Win 10 .ISO to a DVD) and performed a reinstall of Windows 10 which allowed me to keep my installed apps. I'm guessing both this and the basic system refresh maintain many settings and registry entries that are likely the source of my problem. Reinstalling Windows 10 did not resolve my issues.

I'm at a loss. Any suggestions?

Dumazi, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Junaid_A Win User
    Wi-Fi issue: Limited connectivity

Hi Scot,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community forum.

I suggest you to run the in-built troubleshooter for Internet connections.

• Open 'Settings' and click on 'Update and security'.
    • On the left pane, select 'Troubleshoot' and run the troubleshooter for 'Internet Connections'.

You may also try the troubleshooting steps listed in the articles listed below and check if it works:

Hope it helps.

Junaid_A, Oct 26, 2019
  4. johnny234 Win User

Windows 10 stop automatically connecting to random new wi-fi networks

Hi,

I have searched a lot, but all the tutorials I found only explained how to not connect automatically to a known wi-fi network or how to disable wi-fi sense... but this is not what I am looking for...

PROBLEM:

• When my laptop (Windows 10 Pro X64) is not connected to a network and the wireless adapter is on, it will automatically connect to any random new unsecured wi-fi network... The only way I have now to avoid this is to disable my wi-fi adapter.

UNUSEFUL TUTORIALS I FOUND ON THE INTERNET:

• How to manually uncheck the option for a particular wi-fi network not to connect automatically in Network Properties. This is not what I am looking for. This would suggest that everytime I power my computer. I would have to manually go through all the available wi-fi networks and unclick them all...
    • How to disable Wi-Fi Sense. This is not useful, because I don't even have a Wi-Fi sense option in my computer where the tutorials say it should be.

EXPECTED BEHAVIOR:

• I am looking for an option to tell my computer to stop connecting randomly to unknown wi-fi networks like an hyperactive, reckless idiot.

PERSONAL COMMENT:

• Honestly, why would any respectable company think that it could be somewhat wise or secure to do this... Anyone's computer could just randomly connect to any hacker's wi-fi network without the user even knowing it...

Any solutions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

johnny234, Oct 26, 2019
  5. drkh Win User
    Assign different network profiles (locations) for Ethernet and Wi-Fi

Hi,

I have tried to set my notebook to use the Private network profile (location) for Ethernet and use the Public network profile for Wi-Fi. But it turns out that it's impossible. When the network profile is changed for one of them, the other also changes automatically to use the same profile.

The notebook is connected to my ISP's broadband VTU-R with network cables. The private IP of the VTU-R is 192.168.1.1. The private IP of the notebook's network card is manually set to 192.168.0.4 (different segment) with the VTU-R being the default gateway.

The VTU-R also supports Wi-Fi. When Wi-Fi connection is established, the notebook obtains its Internet IP automatically.

Is it possible to assign different profiles for Ethernet and Wi-Fi respectively?

The OS of the notebook is Windows 10 Pro, version 1709, build 16299.402.

6. Different Network Connection From the same Wi-Fi

Hi,

Thank you for providing the details.

As mentioned above in your post, the Desktop is connected to the Ethernet
    and Laptop is Connected to the Wi-Fi. It is not possible to connect to the same Wi-Fi networks. If both Desktop and Laptop are on Wi-Fi devices then you could try connecting it to the same Wi-Fi network.

• Did you try the below step provided and what was the result?
    I would suggest you to create a new HomeGroup and check if it helps.
    Refer: HomeGroup
    from start to finish

(Applies to Windows 10 as well)

Keep us posted to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Set Data Limit for Wi-Fi and Ethernet Network in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Set Data Limit

2. Network bridge working between an ethernet and Wi-Fi connection, but the Wi-Fi won't...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network bridge working between an ethernet and Wi-Fi connection, but the Wi-Fi won't...: I'm using a network bridge between my normal wifi connection to my main router connected to the internet, and an ethernet connection to a second router that I use exclusively for connecting an Oculus Quest 2 via Virtual desktop, which doesn't have internet access directly...
  3. Problem with Wi-Fi and Network Settings

Problem with Wi-Fi and Network Settings: 1. Wi-Fi option in taskbar disappeared. 2. There's no Wi-FI option in Network and Internet settings in Quick Actions 3. The Network and Internet Settings cannot be accesssed. It suddenly closes down. 4. Windows Defender shows nothing Help please? Thank you <3...
  4. Wi-Fi and Ethernet together

Wi-Fi and Ethernet together: Trying to increase downland speeds.Currently just using Wi-Fi. 1, Will combining the two methods help and will it work? 2. What settings need to be changed in my Wi-Fi router ? (TP-Link) 3. Win 10 Home 4. Am I wasting my time considering this? My provider is Spectrum....
  5. Unable to find WI-FI and Ethernet settings in Network and Internet settings for Windows-10

Unable to find WI-FI and Ethernet settings in Network and Internet settings for Windows-10: Dear Team,, I am using Lenovo-Flex 14 laptop with Windows 10 and having very hard time to connect to internet as its doesn't show option to connect to any of the available Wi-Fi networks which I can see though other laptop / devices. Moreover, I can only see 'Bluetooth...
  6. Ethernet/ Wi-Fi Conflict??

Ethernet/ Wi-Fi Conflict??: My Windows 10 desktop is immediately next to my XFINITY Xfi modem. The computer has a wired Ethernet connection and is also connecting by Wi-Fi. The computer often drops its internet connection while a laptop in another room connected only by Wi-Fi stays connected...
  7. Wi-fi settings and available networks

Wi-fi settings and available networks: I am trying to connect an EchoDot to my network but wi-fi settings will not show me any information about available networks. When I click on the link it just goes dark, nothing happens, no screen pops up, no information at all. Is this yet another failure of Windows 10 to...
  8. Wi-Fi and ethernet not working in Windows 10

Wi-Fi and ethernet not working in Windows 10: Hi, I recently updated my ProBook 4530s to Windows 10, to see, if it would speed the computer up a bit. It did that but at the same time however, it also rendered me unable to use both Wi-Fi and ethernet. Previously I had Windows 7 professional installed, and a program...
  9. No Wi Fi in network & internet settings

No Wi Fi in network & internet settings: My Wi Fi icon is not in my Win10 I don't recall it ever being there. I upgraded from Win8. Can I download a Realtek driver to support this. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/no-wi-fi-in-network-internet-settings/9efbb332-f55d-4888-a058-ecf83703f794
  10. Restrict Background Data Usage for Wi-Fi and Ethernet in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Restrict Background Data Usage for Wi-Fi and Ethernet in Windows 10: How to: Restrict Background Data Usage for Wi-Fi and Ethernet in Windows 10 [img] Information Starting with metered ethernet network connection, tailor your data usage to your budget and needs. Restricting background data will limit what Store apps and Windows features...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. using small amount of downland ethernet