Windows 10: Set Default App to VLC; nothing happens when DVD entered

Discus and support Set Default App to VLC; nothing happens when DVD entered in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I have read how to change the default app that opens "things." For a DVD (and this is one attached by a USB because it's an ultrabook), I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by w10bls, Sep 6, 2015.

1. w10bls Win User

Set Default App to VLC; nothing happens when DVD entered

Hello,

I have read how to change the default app that opens "things." For a DVD (and this is one attached by a USB because it's an ultrabook), I chose VLC. I put in a DVD and nothing.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong? Thank you~!

:)

w10bls, Sep 6, 2015

2. Windows 10 / Surface Pro 4 default DVD app and Autoplay problem using VLC

I'm running a Surface Pro 4 with an external Samsung USB DVD drive. I've installed VLC from the Windows Store so I can watch DVD films.

From settings > system > default apps > set defaults by app I've set VLC as the default app for all associated file types.

However when I select Autoplay in File Explorer for the drive I'm presented with the option to 'Find a new DVD app' or 'Take no action'. If I select 'Find a new DVD app' I'm taken to the Store where VLC is recommended and shown as installed. In Control
    Panel > Autoplay I've tried to change the action for DVD movie but the four options are 'Find a new DVD app', 'Take no action', 'Open folder to view files' and 'ask me everytime'.

How can I set VLC as the default action?

Tommy.Pro4, Sep 6, 2015
  3. aparms Win User
    Setting Default Apps in the Settings app doesn't work

Trying to set the default apps in Settings > System > Default Apps doesn't work. When I click the + sign to add a default browser the pop up box comes, but when I select it nothing changes. I tried restarting the app, restarting my pc etc. nothing worked.
    I tried changing the Video Player to VLC and nothing happened but when I restarted the app it changed. This however, isn't happining with the browser field. I had to manually set my browser in "Choose default apps by file type". Is there any way I can fix
    this without always using the "Choose default apps by file type" again?

aparms, Sep 6, 2015
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

My choice doesn't seem to stick either.

With the DVD movie in the drive, open file explorer, right click on the Drive letter for the DVD drive, mine is D:. Select Open AutoPlay....
    The box comes up that says "What to do with DVD movies" I click on Play DVD Movies VideoLAN VLC media player , and VLC opens the DVD but it won't stick, I have to do the same thing every time I put the DVD in the drive.

NavyLCDR, Sep 6, 2015
  5. w10bls Win User
    Thanks for your response. Just tried that, and for me it won't work.

I just have to open VLC, then go from there. Perhaps I'll open it from a C: prompt ...

This is not even close to the worst thing I have found with this OS. My drive won't acknowledge a blank CD. Hence if you want to burn something to a CD, apparently you can't or I have not found the right incantation yet. Don't even thing about a hi res screen....

Normally I am not pejorative on these forums, but MS really messed this up (it was free and you do get what you pay for). And the updates keep on coming... truly, as an ex programmer, I'd say not nearly enough testing was done and MS did not check with the ODMs to see if the OS would really work on all machines. Moving a computer is like moving a house. If I knew that 7 would work, I'd go back to that, but they'll disco it because they have to make money. When they lost Steve Sinofsky you could feel it. He rescued Vista and then something happened... oh well. Thanks again.

w10bls, Sep 6, 2015
  6. Winuser Win User
    Try setting it in AutoPlay. Go to control panel and select AutoPlay.

Winuser, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Set Default App to VLC; nothing happens when DVD entered - Similar Threads - Set Default App

2. How to set default DVD player when it isn't included in list of apps?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to set default DVD player when it isn't included in list of apps?: For those of us with an optical drive, how do you choose the default DVD player? The list of default apps doesn't even include a DVD player, but only Video Player, which is not entirely the same thing. In any case, the player I wish to make the default one (sMedio True DVD...
  3. How to set default DVD player when it isn't included in list of apps?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to set default DVD player when it isn't included in list of apps?: For those of us with an optical drive, how do you choose the default DVD player? The list of default apps doesn't even include a DVD player, but only Video Player, which is not entirely the same thing. In any case, the player I wish to make the default one (sMedio True DVD...
  4. setting a default dvd player when a dvd is inserted

setting a default dvd player when a dvd is inserted: Ok. Here's the deal. Please read this carefully, as I am not talking about file types, I am talking about disk types. Windows 7 had a feature that would detect the content of any removable media placed in an optical drive and would ask you what to do with it. In Fact, it...
  5. I have an installed DVD player in Win 10. Nothing happens when I insert a DVD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    I have an installed DVD player in Win 10. Nothing happens when I insert a DVD: Have DVD player on Win 10. Nothing happens when a DVD is inserted. Help! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-have-an-installed-dvd-player-in-win-10-nothing/9d983b2f-adf3-4206-b69e-973feddb820a
  6. Impossible to set VLC to default software for viewing photos

in Windows 10 Customization
    Impossible to set VLC to default software for viewing photos: Hi, I am in charge of some Windows machines where I have to use VLC. I use it for videos automatically, I've tuned it to a fine point where I can show videos in another screen professionally. I would like to set it also as the default app for images (png, jpg, etc). But...
  7. cannot get dvd to play when inserted.can hear it start,but then nothing happens

cannot get dvd to play when inserted.can hear it start,but then nothing happens: Cannot get dvd to play, but hear it start ,then stops and nothing happens I defraced my laptop,because it was running slow and it didn't work after that I have since done a recovery on my laptop to try if it would make any difference,but just the same....
  8. when i click burn(to a dvd in windows 10) nothing happens?

when i click burn(to a dvd in windows 10) nothing happens?: when i click burn(to a dvd in windows 10) nothing happens? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/when-i-click-burnto-a-dvd-in-windows-10-nothing/cc81f1d9-e5f0-42ce-b8d9-ad463a85d141
  9. Default app set to VLC but Win Media PLayer opens

Default app set to VLC but Win Media PLayer opens: Hi I have set the default media player for both music and video to VLC and when I double click a single file it opens in VLC. However if I select a number of music files and hit enter or click play at the top of windows explorer it opens windows media player. Even if I...
  10. Nothing happens when I click Hyperlinks from Apps

in Windows 10 Support
    Nothing happens when I click Hyperlinks from Apps: Tried both Edge and Chrome browsers as default. Hyperlinks work properly from progs, as they should, but nothing happens when I try to click on links from Apps. Seems like the new start menu has some hyperlinks and nothing happens when I click them: [img] Red boxes...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows asked me take no action or go app store when i inserted dvd iselected