Windows 10: Set Disk Quota Limit and Warning Level for Specific Users in Windows

Discus and support Set Disk Quota Limit and Warning Level for Specific Users in Windows in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Set Disk Quota Limit and Warning Level for Specific Users in Windows [img] Information file system volumes, allowing administrators to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Set Disk Quota Limit and Warning Level for Specific Users in Windows

How to: Set Disk Quota Limit and Warning Level for Specific Users in Windows

Set Disk Quota Limit and Warning Level for Specific Users in Windows [​IMG]
    Information file system volumes, allowing administrators to control the amount of data that each user can store on a specific NTFS volume. Administrators can optionally configure the system to log an event when users are near their quota, and to deny further disk space to users who exceed their quota. Administrators can also generate reports, and use the event monitor to track quota issues.

Enforcing disk quota limits is optional. When users reach an enforced disk quota limit, the system responds as though the physical space on the volume were exhausted. When users reach an unenforced limit, their status in the Quota Entries window changes, but they can continue to write to the volume as long as physical space is available.

This tutorial will show you how to set a disk quota limit and warning level for specific users in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an administrator to set disk quota limits.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Set Disk Quota Limit and Warning Level for Specific Users in Drive Properties
    • Option Two: Set Disk Quota Limit and Warning Level for Specific Users in Command Prompt

OPTION ONE [/i] Set Disk Quota Limit and Warning Level for Specific Users in Drive Properties
    1. If you haven't already, you will need to first enable disk quotas for the NTFS drive (ex: "G") you want to set disk quota limits and warning levels on.

2. Open This PC in File Explorer (Win+E).

3. Right click or press and hold on the NTFS drive (ex: "G") you want to set disk quota limits and warning levels for, and click/tap on Properties. (see screenshot below)

4. Click/tap on the Quota tab, and click/tap on the Show Quota Settings button. (see screenshot below)

5. Click/tap on the Quota Entries button. (see screenshot below)

6. Do step 7 (set limit/level) or step 8 (no limit) below for what you want to do.

7. To Set a Disk Quota Limit and Warning Level
    A) Double click/tap on the user (ex: "Brink") you want to set or change a disk quota limit and warning level for on this drive (ex: "G"). (see screenshot below)

B) Select (dot) Limit disk space to, set the quota limit (ex: 300 GB) and warning level (ex: 250 GB) to what you want for this user on this drive, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

C) When finished setting quota limits and warning levels for users, close the Quota Entries window, and go to step 9 below.

8. Do not limit disk usage
    NOTE: This is the default setting.
    A) Double click/tap on the user (ex: "Brink") you do not want to have a disk quota limit and warning level for on this drive (ex: "G"). (see screenshot below)

B) Select (dot) Do not limit disk usage, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

C) When finished for users, close the Quota Entries window, and go to step 9 below.
    9. Click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below step 5)

10. Click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below step 4)

11. You may also want to:

OPTION TWO [/i] Set Disk Quota Limit and Warning Level for Specific Users in Command Prompt
    1. If you haven't already, you will need to first enable disk quotas for the drive (ex: "G") you want to set disk quota limits and warning levels on.

2. Open an elevated command prompt.

3. Type the command below into the elevated command prompt, and press Enter. This will show you the current quota limits and warning levels (quota threshold) of all users for this NTFS drive. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow fsutil quota query <drive letter>:

Note Substitute <drive letter> in the command above for the the actual drive letter (ex: "G") of the NTFS volume you want to see its currently disk quota limits and warning levels set for users.

For example: fsutil quota query G:

4. Type the command below into the elevated command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow fsutil quota modify <drive letter>: <warning level in bytes> <quota limit in bytes> <user name>

Note Substitute <drive letter> in the command above for the the actual drive letter (ex: "G") of the NTFS volume you want to set a disk quota limit and warning level for this user.

Substitute <warning level in bytes> in the command above with what you want to set the warning level to in bytes (ex: "268435456000" for 250 GB) for this user on this NTFS volume. To set No Limit, enter 0xffffffffffffffff for the warning level.

Substitute <quota limit in bytes> in the command above with what you want to set the quota limit to in bytes (ex: "322122547200" for 300 GB) for this user on this NTFS volume. To set No Limit, enter 0xffffffffffffffff for the quota limit.
    1 Kilobyte (KB) = 1,024 Bytes (B)
    1 Megabyte (MB) = 1,048,576 Bytes (B)
    1 Gigabyte (GB) = 1,073,741,824 Bytes (B)
    1 Terabyte (TB) = 1,099,511,627,776 Bytes (B)
    Substitute <user name> in the command above with the actual name (ex: "Brink") of the user account you want to set a quota limit and warning level for on this NTFS volume.

For example: fsutil quota modify G: 268435456000 322122547200 Brink

5. You can now close the elevated command prompt.

6. You may also want to:

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Feb 16, 2017
  2. dalchina Win User

Windows 10 - File Folder Quota Set - Is it possible?

Hi, please ask him for the exact text of the message- you can then research it properly.

See these - but these refer to a drive, not a folder:
    How to use Windows 10 disk Quota to limit user storage | Windows Central
    Enable or Disable to Enforce Disk Quota Limits in Windows | Windows 10 Tutorials
    https://www.digitalcitizen.life/simple-questions-what-are-disk-quotas-how-set-them-windows

On another note, please encourage him to save personal data on another disk or partition- and in particular not on his desktop.

Things can go wrong on the 6 monthly upgrades, when people lose their desktop content being allocated temporary profiles.

And of course, back up. Disks fail. Bad things happen.

dalchina, Oct 26, 2019
  3. T2018 Win User
    MB Warning

Tonight I attempt to start command prompt, as administrator, on my HP Note Book, Intel Celeron N3050 Processor, I recieve this> Quota entries for recovery (DSet Disk Quota Limit and Warning Level for Specific Users in Windows :) Quota is not recognized as internal/external command, operable program or batch file. C:\Users|myname\
    Status name logon NameAmt used, MB(Quota) Limit (MB) Warning level (MB) Percent used StatusNameLogon is not recognized. C;\users\myname\ok OKBUILTINNAME\ADMINISTRATORS LIMIT NO limit n\a cannot find path specified. Any suggestions? Mind you I have been fighting
    to do anything on this thing. Like it had issues before I bought it. Operator error doesn't help. Help!

T2018, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Set Disk Quota Limit and Warning Level for Specific Users in Windows

Incorrect display of Network Drive Quota properties

My network harddrive is a MyBookLive, 2TB, with 996GB free, NTFS. I believe this drive does NOT support quota limits.

In Win10 File Explorer, the Properties|Quota tab for any shares mapped on the MyBookLive state "This drive supports space limits for each user, so a single user cannot fill the entire disk. Click this button to view or change these limits" . But if I click
    on the "View Quota Settings" button, it opens an additional Quota Settings dialog box that contains the same statement and the same button, with no other displayed information. This continues each time you click on the button.

Other external drives (USB connected) all open a legitimate dialog box for "Quotas", which correctly show that "Quotas are disabled", along with other information.

I believe this issue may be preventing me from copying large files to the network drive, because I get errors saying there is not enough space available, but the same error message shows adequate free space.

Can you help me correct this issue?

Thanks.

Bruce Kaiser

BruceKaiser, Oct 26, 2019
  5. Windows 10. Can't add new Disk Quota Entries.

I'm unable to create new quota entrie. Some ideas. I'v already check all settings. In old build 14393.222 work fine. Downgrade is not optional.

We are using disk quotas on domain enviroment. Evrifing was fine till one day when we realised that the quotas are not applyed per users. The screanshot is made by manual try to set new quota entrie.

Set Disk Quota Limit and Warning Level for Specific Users in Windows ed9ebb1f-b2cf-4bdc-8949-bd058553757e.png

Windows 10 ProVersion 1607

Build 14393.969

StoyanMihov, Oct 26, 2019
  6. StoyanMihov, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

Set Disk Quota Limit and Warning Level for Specific Users in Windows

1. Set Disk Quota Limit and Warning Level for Specific Users in Windows - Similar Threads - Set Disk Quota

2. DistributedCOM 10016 Level: Warning

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DistributedCOM 10016 Level: Warning: Hello. my computer started crashing when I start playing video games. I checked the Event Viewer software and saw that its because something called ''DistributedCOM 10016'' with Level: warning I tried to fix it but everything i did didnt help me at all...
  3. Setting an app-specific time limit for myself

in Windows 10 Customization
    Setting an app-specific time limit for myself: Hello all, I am trying to spend less time in games and focus more on productivity, yet I do not want to uninstall those games. I simply want to set some setting that me the only user account on my laptop can have a specific app running for a limited time only. I do not...
  4. windows is limiting my audio levels

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    windows is limiting my audio levels: Hi Recently I've updated my windows 10 and then after turning back on my computer my audio doesn't go above 50 % mark even the levels are set to 100 percent. Loudness Equalization is checked on my headphones Levels are set on 100 percent http://prntscr.com/m50qlb Can...
  5. How To Set System Volume To Specific Level With Keystroke

in Windows 10 Support
    How To Set System Volume To Specific Level With Keystroke: I keep my system's volume level set to 30%. Sometimes, I need to adjust this for one reason or another. After doing so, I'd like to be able to press a keyboard shortcut to set it back to 30%. Is there an easy way to do this? Maybe an AHK or FastKeys macro? I know I can do...
  6. Enable Log Event when Disk Quota Warning Level Exceeded in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable Log Event when Disk Quota Warning Level Exceeded in Windows: How to: Enable Log Event when Disk Quota Warning Level Exceeded in Windows [img] Information file system volumes, allowing administrators to control the amount of data that each user can store on a specific NTFS volume. Administrators can optionally configure the system...
  7. Enable or Disable Log Event when Disk Quota Limit Exceeded in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Log Event when Disk Quota Limit Exceeded in Windows: How to: Enable or Disable Log Event when Disk Quota Limit Exceeded in Windows [img] Information file system volumes, allowing administrators to control the amount of data that each user can store on a specific NTFS volume. Administrators can optionally configure the...
  8. Set Disk Quota Limit and Warning Level for New Users in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Set Disk Quota Limit and Warning Level for New Users in Windows: How to: Set Disk Quota Limit and Warning Level for New Users in Windows [img] Information file system volumes, allowing administrators to control the amount of data that each user can store on a specific NTFS volume. Administrators can optionally configure the system to...
  9. Enable or Disable to Enforce Disk Quota Limits in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable to Enforce Disk Quota Limits in Windows: How to: Enable or Disable to Enforce Disk Quota Limits in Windows [img] Information file system volumes, allowing administrators to control the amount of data that each user can store on a specific NTFS volume. Administrators can optionally configure the system to log an...
  10. Enable or Disable Disk Quotas in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Disk Quotas in Windows: How to: Enable or Disable Disk Quotas in Windows [img] Information file system volumes, allowing administrators to control the amount of data that each user can store on a specific NTFS volume. Administrators can optionally configure the system to log an event when users...