Windows 10: "Set Email Application" pop-up... is this Windows?

Discus and support "Set Email Application" pop-up... is this Windows? in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Sorry if this has been asked before, I did a search and found nothing similar. Since my Windows 10 upgrade I've been able to deal with most of the... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by emailpopup, Dec 20, 2015.

1. "Set Email Application" pop-up... is this Windows?

Sorry if this has been asked before, I did a search and found nothing similar.

Since my Windows 10 upgrade I've been able to deal with most of the changes from Windows 7 (which I loved) and stick with 10... except for one annoyance. Every now and then I get a pop-up stating that I can't perform an email action until I've set a default email app, or something similar (actually- pausing writing this to wait for the pop-up so I can take a screenshot of it) ... (there we go, it triggered- see ahead):

"Set Email Application" pop-up... is this Windows? [​IMG]

I've pressed nothing that should spawn an email app. Checking this pop-up in task manager to find more details doesn't show anything that hints at what app launched it, and I never had this pop-up in windows 7 obviously, as email wasn't so integrated to the OS, so I'm not sure if this pop-up is from Windows 10 or not? I never install apps that would send background emails, and I'm extremely careful with what I install, where I install from, and if anything's ever remotely fishy I'll run all the spyware/anti-virus I have that I trust. Nothing shows up when I run scans currently, including a deep scan with Malwarebytes on both of my drives, so I'm GUESSING this is a Windows 10 thing? What bothers me is I've turned off all Windows 10 background emails / crash email configurations, so nothing should be triggering an email... yet the pop-up's wording implies otherwise?

Confused. Any help/input? It happens frequently enough that I'm ready to go back to Windows 7 if I can't turn it off/find the root cause. It's insanely annoying.

:)

emailpopup, Dec 20, 2015

2. " Nokia Simple " theme - where it this theme?

hi,

Some days ago on page
    http://ea.mobile.nokia.com/content/spin/ea/6120c/en/theme/index.xhtml
    or in phone (nokia 6120c) themes/general/download themes/ was very cool theme (light cream white, black fonts) " Nokia Simple ", now its dissapear from this site. Where i can get it?
    or maybe somebody has it and could send to me.

thx

szympek123, Dec 20, 2015
  3. okinawa---01, Dec 20, 2015
  4. dalchina New Member

"Set Email Application" pop-up... is this Windows?

Hi, hmm, unusual.. annoying. (Never seen such a report or such a thing on my Win 10)
    The window gives no clue.. so you could try installing
    Window Detective
    If you drag the red target icon from its gui to that window, you might find what it is.

That might not be enough to give you an answer, as you might have to go digging further to find what launched it, e.g. using Sysinternals Process Explorer.

Another approach might be to try associating an email program with all file types and protocols it can handle, thus satisfying some apparently missing association. Which would mean the program would be launched, and you might then get more information (e.g. some eml file being opened.....).

At a more basic level, a process of elimination.. start from a clean boot and try to achieve a state where you are NOT getting it.. if possible- then enable more startups until the problem recurs. You may need to consider scheduled tasks.

Some software as you know may generate email notifications.. certain maintenance tasks, system monitors, backup software... depending on the program and its settings.

Since yours is an upgrade from '7 it may be worth doing a basic check
    chkdsk C: /F
    sfc /Scannow
    from an elevated command prompt.

dalchina, Dec 24, 2015
Thema:

"Set Email Application" pop-up... is this Windows?

1. "Set Email Application" pop-up... is this Windows? - Similar Threads - Set Email Application

2. Event 56, Application pop up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Event 56, Application pop up: Hello, my PC has been freezing randomly and doesn't seem to do anything, so I restart it, and every time I get 2 errors: Error: 56The description for Event ID 56 from source Application Popup cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on...
  3. Event 56, Application pop up

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Event 56, Application pop up: Hello, my PC has been freezing randomly and doesn't seem to do anything, so I restart it, and every time I get 2 errors: Error: 56The description for Event ID 56 from source Application Popup cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on...
  4. Window Applications crashing once they pop up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Window Applications crashing once they pop up: Hello.For some reason, programs like Windows Mail, System Restore, Minecraft Launcher and other apps I have tried to use over the last week or so have not been loading correctly. This has even caused my VR Headset not to be able to play games as they would load then shortly...
  5. Window Applications crashing once they pop up

Window Applications crashing once they pop up: Hello.For some reason, programs like Windows Mail, System Restore, Minecraft Launcher and other apps I have tried to use over the last week or so have not been loading correctly. This has even caused my VR Headset not to be able to play games as they would load then shortly...
  6. Window Applications crashing once they pop up

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Pop up Applications' Windows are too small

in Windows 10 Customization
    Pop up Applications' Windows are too small: My pop out windows of all applications are too small.Some windows have option to resize - which intself is not a solution because I need to do this manually for everything.Some windows as the window below - cannot be resized at all.Please advise on the solution....
  8. email pop up

email pop up: Since withdrawing from university and having the school email terminated, this window has been constantly popping up. I'm able to close the window and it will disappear, but it will show again in a few seconds. The option for Microsoft to automatically sign into apps has been...
  9. pop ups within emails.

pop ups within emails.: turn this damn "feature" off already!!! i read this problem has existed back for several years now. it is 2021 and your brilliant minds haven't figured out that this "feature" needs to go away? enough already! if i hover over a link, i don't give a damn what the "magic"...
  10. setting email default application

setting email default application: Using Windows 10 with Brother MFC-J680DW printer/scanner and cannot set default email application. I've tried multiple suggestions and google to no avail. I use a gmail account for email....