Windows 10: Set Explorer to ALWAYS display folder content sorted by "Type"?

Discus and support Set Explorer to ALWAYS display folder content sorted by "Type"? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; How can I set Explorer to ALWAYS display folder content sorted by "Type"? Can that be set regardless of other folder/view options? 76828 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by CalypsoArt, Feb 7, 2017.

1. Set Explorer to ALWAYS display folder content sorted by "Type"?

How can I set Explorer to ALWAYS display folder content sorted by "Type"? Can that be set regardless of other folder/view options?

:)

CalypsoArt, Feb 7, 2017
  2. thejohnz Win User

How to I change the default view/sort order for Windows Explorer search results to Xtra Large Icons sorted by Name?

This question is nothing to do with Windows Explorer Folder View definitions (Document/Music/Video etc) but is about Windows Explorer saved searches - search-ms files.

Initial searches always display Content View sorted in some weird order - regardless of the View of the folder being searched. This seems to be the Windows Explorer default and I've tested it many times.

It is incredibly annoying as I have hundreds of search-ms files operating on my 80,000 plus images and I always want to see search results as Xtra Large Icons in Ascending Name order.

I change the View to Xtra Large Icons sorted by Name and save the search as a search-ms file - the text of which seems to contain the new definition I gave it.

Typically as soon as I save the search the screen refreshes back to the original Content/Weird Order but if I redefine View/Sort and re-save it a second time the second refresh is typically correct. Sometimes it takes a 3rd go-round to "stick".

Once the definition sticks the search-ms file will normally keep displaying correctly until one random day it doesn't - reverting back to the the default of Content/Weird Order - and the whole process has to be repeated.

I'm beyond caring why Windows Explorer is not referring to the search-ms file's defined View/Sort Order. How to I change the default view/sort order for Windows Explorer search results to Xtra Large Icons sorted by Ascending Name so that even if my definition
    is being ignored the default view will now show me what I want.

Thanks

Thanks

thejohnz, Feb 7, 2017
  3. brianxSN Win User
    File Explore sort not sticky

I have a folder with just over 1,000 image files sorted by added date. Everytime I open the folder, Explorer spends from 1 to 3 minutes resorting the folder. It is as if Windows always sees the folder
    in name order regardless of how I set the folder. I set it by using Details View and ticking the appropriate column header which re-sorts the contents OK but the next time I open the folder, the same column is still ticked but the contents are not in that
    order.

Don't tell me I have too many files, I know it is a lot but that is how I want to work. It is an issue with how windows handles things. Any suggestions on how to get around this please? I did try third party
    file managers which is great but when opening a folder in a third party application, it uses the default windows explorer so I have the same error.

brianxSN, Feb 7, 2017
  4. Set Explorer to ALWAYS display folder content sorted by "Type"?

Caledon Ken, Feb 7, 2017
  5. Thanks, but I don't see any option to select "Type" as a default option for all folders. I see general categories like Pictures and Documents.

CalypsoArt, Feb 7, 2017
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Calypso Art, *Smile

You would basically use the links in the steps in the tutorial posted above to first set all folders to use the same template (ex: "General items"), set the folder view to how (ex: "Type") you want, and then apply to all folders.

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Set Explorer to ALWAYS display folder content sorted by "Type"?

1. Set Explorer to ALWAYS display folder content sorted by "Type"? - Similar Threads - Set Explorer ALWAYS

2. Displaying the contents of shadow copy in the explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Displaying the contents of shadow copy in the explorer: Good day to you all.Came not so much for a solution to the question, but for information, what is the behavior of the system, when in Explorer we open the contents of the snapshot and always see a mirror of the actual contents of this or that object. I can't google the...
  3. Displaying the contents of shadow copy in the explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Displaying the contents of shadow copy in the explorer: Good day to you all.Came not so much for a solution to the question, but for information, what is the behavior of the system, when in Explorer we open the contents of the snapshot and always see a mirror of the actual contents of this or that object. I can't google the...
  4. Displaying the contents of shadow copy in the explorer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Sort Folders by Type or Category?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sort Folders by Type or Category?: I use my PC for software like Autodesk Maya, Blender, Zbrush, all common 3D software with directories and such. All of these software have directories to store their data in Documents, but I have other folders there and would like to sort them all with a label or something to...
  6. Sort Folders by Type or Category?

Sort Folders by Type or Category?: I use my PC for software like Autodesk Maya, Blender, Zbrush, all common 3D software with directories and such. All of these software have directories to store their data in Documents, but I have other folders there and would like to sort them all with a label or something to...
  7. Folder/File sorting in file explorer

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Folder/File sorting in file explorer: I have changed the "view' option many times but still can't accomplish what I want. In all cases I want to view folders first, sorted alphabetically and THEN followed by files sorted alphabetically. I don't want any of that A-H Or I-S bull crap. I just want to see my folders...
  8. Force Explorer to list "Type" in Sort By

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Force Explorer to list "Type" in Sort By: Anyone know a way to get the Type option to always appear in the Sort By list? I don't need it as a default, but it's annoying that whenever I want to sort by type I have to go to "More..." and add it to the list. submitted by /u/Avigorus [link] [comments]...
  9. Sort by name, not type in folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Sort by name, not type in folder: Im having a big issues with folder sorting. Is there any way to actually sort by NAME? Like this: 1 Folder 2 PDF 3 PDF 4 Folder 5 TEXT Right now it sorts by type, when i choose to sort by name - makes no sense to me. Thank you....
  10. Windows 10 Explorer Sorting Folders

Windows 10 Explorer Sorting Folders: Hey just wondering does anyone know of any software or methods so I can sort folders in a particular order. [img] I want these folders to be sorted in a particular way. Thank You 53014