Windows 10: Set file association for .NEF files

Discus and support Set file association for .NEF files in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have Photoshop CS4 along with Camera Raw installed as well as Adobe Acrobat 9.5. Everytime I try to open a .NEF file Windows tries to open it in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by SoFine409, Jul 24, 2016.

1. SoFine409 Win User

Set file association for .NEF files

I have Photoshop CS4 along with Camera Raw installed as well as Adobe Acrobat 9.5. Everytime I try to open a .NEF file Windows tries to open it in Acrobat 9.5. Naturally it cannot. When I go to the file associations Photoshop CS4 is not an option. Can anyone help me associate .NEF with CS4?

:)

SoFine409, Jul 24, 2016

2. Reinstall WM 6.5 OS on Samsung B7320

Hi,

SMSs are backed up in NPS/Message Manager in .nef file format. Incidentally, I have installed Nero on my PC, so it got associated with it & showing it as "Nero Encrypted File".

Sachin Whaval, Jul 24, 2016
  3. Stockyjs Win User
    Viewing Raw picture files in recycle bin (Nef Files nikon camera)

I can view Nef files in Windows 10 explorer however if I delete a Nef file and then look in the restore bin the Nef files can not be viewed only a symbol.

Please advise.

Stockyjs, Jul 24, 2016
  4. ARC1020 Win User

I'm not sure why Photoshop isn't listed, however when you say that when you go to the file associations, Photoshop CS4 is not an option, are you accessing the default file associations through the Settings app, or from the Control Panel?

The reason I ask is because if you access the default file associations through the Settings App, for some strange reason it gives you less options and you only have a limited choice of the apps that it chooses, or to 'Look for an app in the store', which obviously is of no help to you (and surely an oversight on Microsoft's behalf?!?).

If you access the default file associations through the Control Panel, it gives you more options where you can also go to 'More Apps', which will give you a larger list of programs to choose from and also the option to 'Look for another app on this PC', where you can then manually try finding Photoshop in either:

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4 (64 Bit)\Photoshop.exe (for 64-bit Photoshop)
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4\Photoshop.exe (for 32-bit Photoshop).

Default file associations through the Settings App:

Set file association for .NEF files [​IMG]

Default file associations through the Control Panel:

Set file association for .NEF files [​IMG]

ARC1020, Jul 25, 2016
  5. SoFine409 Win User
    I didn't navigate down to the open with menu in file explorer to find another app in this PC. A real rookie mistake! Today must be my stupid day!

SoFine409, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Set file association for .NEF files - Similar Threads - Set file association

2. Now the NEF files for photos

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Now the NEF files for photos: Have taken photos at several weddings without a problem. Now the NEF files for photos Nikon naming on my win10 laptop are being destroyed when moving to a different folder. I will pay Microsoft for win11 that will not run on my laptop if they will quit destroying my photos....
  3. Now the NEF files for photos

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Now the NEF files for photos: Have taken photos at several weddings without a problem. Now the NEF files for photos Nikon naming on my win10 laptop are being destroyed when moving to a different folder. I will pay Microsoft for win11 that will not run on my laptop if they will quit destroying my photos....
  4. Now the NEF files for photos

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Cannot delete NEF files

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot delete NEF files: Im running windows 10 pro, but i cannot delete NEF files from the recycle bin, all other files with delete ok. Anyone offer any help please. TIA 173084
  6. Opening NEF-files with Photoshop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Opening NEF-files with Photoshop: I have purchased Photoshop Elements 2020 through Windows Store. I'm not able to associate NEF-files Nikon RAW files to the program. It do not show up on the list when I'm trying to select the program as default app to open the file type. Please help. Thanks Best regards...
  7. nikon nef files quandry

nikon nef files quandry: Hi All Have i got a problem or what?? i downloaded 429 nef filesnikon photos to a directory on my desktop a few weeks ago. I had a look at the directory a couple of days ago and i noticed the files were now a graphic of 2 mountains and a moon in the right corner and 2...
  8. File Association Settings in Windows 10

File Association Settings in Windows 10: I have recent installed Lotus SmartSuite to my Windows 10 64 bit PC, as I have large numbers of old delivery dockets, created using Lotus WordPro years ago, that I need to access occasionally, when dealing with warranty claims & service matters. WordPro works perfectly....
  9. Can't set file association for php files

Can't set file association for php files: Using Windows 10, I want to set a file association for php files to a particular application, but when I do it is not stored. Example 1: In File Explorer I right click on the file and choose "Open with". I select the application I want to use and make sure that the "Always...
  10. Set File Association with .reg File

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Set File Association with .reg File: Hi, i have a problem with File Associations in Windows (Build 1607). I want to set a File Association for .pdf so that i can start .pdf files with Adobe Acrobat Reader DC and not with Microsoft Edge (default). It is possible if i change it over System -> Default Apps...