Windows 10: Set/force refresh rate before external display device is connected?

Discus and support Set/force refresh rate before external display device is connected? in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; I have a 5th gen carbon X1 (Intel HD Graphics 620) driving a BenQ PD2710QC through USB-C. I'm trying to connect an HD projector through the HDMI port.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by ajkessel, Feb 17, 2018.

1. ajkessel Win User

Set/force refresh rate before external display device is connected?

I have a 5th gen carbon X1 (Intel HD Graphics 620) driving a BenQ PD2710QC through USB-C. I'm trying to connect an HD projector through the HDMI port. Most often, when I connect the projector, the display flickers on and off several times and I'm not able to get it to work--the machine is mostly unusable until I disconnect the HDMI connection.

However, if the system is stable long enough for me to set the refresh rate on the display connected to the HDMI port, and I reduce it 24p, everything works fine for the rest of the session.

The problem is it defaults back to 60p and I'm not able to access video controls (either the Windows 10 display settings or the Intel HD Graphics Control Panel) for long enough to drop the refresh rate before the display goes into a flashing/non-functional made that renders the laptop inoperable until the HDMI cable is unplugged.

Is there some way I can force Windows 10 to only output 24p prior to connecting the display to the HDMI port? The control panel only exposes that second display after it is connected, which is generally too late to fix it. Is this something that can be set in the registry? Or should I be looking for a special setting in the Intel Graphics Control Panel?

(As a side note, since I'm generally playing movies on the HDMI port to the HD projector, I don't mind the slower refresh rate.)

:)

ajkessel, Feb 17, 2018
  2. fSHUN Win User

Main display limits refresh rate?

Hi, I have the same problem.

It seems that the refresh rate of secondary display is restricted to that of main display. To illustrate a little bit more in detail, the movement of mouse cursor is displayed in high refresh rate, but the content in windows is displayed in low refresh rate.
    So it seems not to be the problem occurring from PC itself, but rather from the Windows' graphic architecture.

(And as Vegedus mentioned, when the display with higher refresh rate is set to main display than the problem will not occur.)

Since I want to set the display with lower refresh rate as main display (it's laptop's built-in), I want this issue fixed.

fSHUN, Feb 17, 2018
  3. Jeager41 Win User
    Windows 10 Creator's Update Resolution and Refresh Rate Problem [ With Video }

Before updating to Windows 10 Creator's update there was no problem it was working fine.

After Creator's update when I change my refresh rate to 75Hz I have to go Display Settings → Display Adapter Properties → Monitor and I have to change the refresh rate there also.

But when I change to refresh rate to 75Hz on Monitor menu, resolution converts to 640x480 automatically and if I change to resolution to 1920x1080 again the refresh rate becomes 60Hz again.

There was no problem before I updated Windows 10 to Creator's update and now this is happening. Please help thank you!

Youtube link:

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

Jeager41, Feb 17, 2018
Thema:

Set/force refresh rate before external display device is connected?

1. Set/force refresh rate before external display device is connected? - Similar Threads - Set force refresh

2. Missing refresh rate in display settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Missing refresh rate in display settings: I have a monitor with 144hz frequency that successfully recognized by one laptop, but not recognized by another one. It has only 60hz option. The same hdmi cable has been used. Rechecked on win 10 and win 11....
  3. Missing refresh rate in display settings

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Missing refresh rate in display settings: I have a monitor with 144hz frequency that successfully recognized by one laptop, but not recognized by another one. It has only 60hz option. The same hdmi cable has been used. Rechecked on win 10 and win 11....
  4. Problem with setting correct refresh rate on an external monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem with setting correct refresh rate on an external monitor: Hello Community,I have a Dell latitude laptop with built-in display resolution of 1920 x 1080 and embedded IntelR UHD Graphic card. I've a Dell UltraSharp 4k monitor with built-in display resolution of 3840 x 2160. Both the laptop and external monitor are connected through a...
  5. Problem with setting correct refresh rate on an external monitor

Problem with setting correct refresh rate on an external monitor: Hello Community,I have a Dell latitude laptop with built-in display resolution of 1920 x 1080 and embedded IntelR UHD Graphic card. I've a Dell UltraSharp 4k monitor with built-in display resolution of 3840 x 2160. Both the laptop and external monitor are connected through a...
  6. Problem with setting correct refresh rate on an external monitor

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Display Refresh Rate

Display Refresh Rate: My laptop screen was said to go up to 165 hz. However, I am unable to change it in the Windows settings. It is only able to go to 60 and 40 hz. My laptop has a AMD Ryzen 7 5800H with Radeon Graphics and a discrete Nvidia RTX 3050 ti laptop gpu. When going into the Nvidia...
  8. Display Refresh Rate

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Display Refresh Rate: My laptop screen was said to go up to 165 hz. However, I am unable to change it in the Windows settings. It is only able to go to 60 and 40 hz. My laptop has a AMD Ryzen 7 5800H with Radeon Graphics and a discrete Nvidia RTX 3050 ti laptop gpu. When going into the Nvidia...
  9. Display Refresh Rate

in Windows 10 Gaming
  10. Force Resolution and Refresh Rate

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Force Resolution and Refresh Rate: Is there a way to force Windows 10 to only use a certain screen resolution and refresh rate? 97581