Windows 10: Set Number of Days can Go Back to Previous Version of Windows

Discus and support Set Number of Days can Go Back to Previous Version of Windows in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Set Number of Days can Go Back to Previous Version of Windows How to Set Number of Days can Go Back to Previous Version of Windows in Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Dec 8, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Set Number of Days can Go Back to Previous Version of Windows

How to: Set Number of Days can Go Back to Previous Version of Windows

How to Set Number of Days can Go Back to Previous Version of Windows in Windows 10

When you go back to the previous version of Windows for up to a 10 days after upgrading to Windows 10 if you should want or need to.

Starting with the Windows 10 April 2018 Update v1803, new DISM commands have been added to:
    • Find out how many days after an upgrade that an OS can be uninstalled (go back to the previous version)
    • Initiate an uninstall (go back to the previous version)
    • Remove the ability for a user to uninstall a Windows upgrade (go back to the previous version)
    • Set the number of days that a user has to uninstall a Windows upgrade (go back to the previous version)
    This tutorial will show you how to see and set the number of days after an upgrade you are still able to go back to a previous version of Windows in Windows 10.

*Warning You must be signed in as an administrator to set the number of days.

Set Number of Days can Go Back to Previous Version of Windows [​IMG]
    Note Note that these DISM commands are only available while you can still go back to a previous version of Windows.

If either of the following are true, then DISM will report Error 1168, Element not found. This error message indicates that the previous version has been deleted, and there's currently not a previous version to go back to.
    • Windows has removed the previous version automatically after 10 days
    • The previous version has been removed using Disk Cleanup
    CONTENTS:
    • Option One: See Current Number of Days after an Upgrade You Can Go back to Previous Version of Windows
    • Option Two: Set Number of Days after an Upgrade You Can Go back to Previous Version of Windows
    • Option Three: Remove Ability to Go back to Previous Version of Windows

EXAMPLE: "Go back to the previous version of Windows 10" after set number of days have expired

OPTION ONE [/i] See Current Number of Days after an Upgrade You Can Go back to Previous Version of Windows
    1. Open an elevated command prompt.

2. Copy and paste the command below into the elevated command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow DISM /Online /Get-OSUninstallWindow
    3. You will now see the number of days (ex: "10") currently set after an upgrade to be able to go back to a previous version of Windows. You can now close the elevated command prompt if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] Set Number of Days after an Upgrade You Can Go back to Previous Version of Windows

2. Type the command below into the elevated command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow DISM /Online /Set-OSUninstallWindow /Value:<days>

*note Substitute <days> in the command above with the actual number (2 to 60) of days you want. The default is 10 days.

For example: DISM /Online /Set-OSUninstallWindow /Value:30
    3. You can now close the elevated command prompt if you like.

OPTION THREE [/i] Remove Ability to Go back to Previous Version of Windows

*Warning This option will remove the ability to go back to the previous version of Windows on your PC.

You will be able to go back to a previous version of Windows again after the next time you update Windows 10 to a new version or build via Windows Update.

*note This will not delete the Windows.old folder or its content.

2. Copy and paste the command below into the elevated command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow DISM /Online /Remove-OSUninstall
    3. You will now no longer be able to go back to the previous version of Windows on this PC. You can now close the elevated command prompt if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Dec 8, 2017
  2. Bree Win User

See Current Number of Days after an Upgrade You Can Go back to Previous Version of Windows

Note that these DISM commands are only available while you can still go back to a previous version of Windows

If either of the following are true:

then DISM will report Error 1168, Element not found.

3. Brink Win User
    Brink, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Set Number of Days can Go Back to Previous Version of Windows

erase previous version of windows to create space

Perform the steps to delete previous version of windows :-

• In the search box on the taskbar, type settings, then choose it from the list of results.

• Select System > Storage > This PC and then scroll down the list and choose Temporary file
    • Under Remove temporary files, select the Previous version of Windows check box and then choose Remove files.

Sanghati Barman, Oct 27, 2019
  5. Change the number of rollback days for Windows 10 feature upgrades?

Snip

>How to Set Number of Days can Go Back to Previous Version of Windows in Windows 10Published by Shawn BrinkCategory: Installation & Upgrade 25 Jun 2018

Hey, did my post above have any part in influencing your new tutorial : ) or were you planning on doing it all along!

phaedruspress, Oct 27, 2019
  6. Bree Win User
    Change the number of rollback days for Windows 10 feature upgrades?

I tested that by doing a repair install of 1803. Until I used Disk Cleanup to remove the previous version the DISM commands worked as described in the tutorial.

Thema:

Set Number of Days can Go Back to Previous Version of Windows

1. Set Number of Days can Go Back to Previous Version of Windows - Similar Threads - Set Number Days

2. How to increase the number of days to roll back Windows to a previous version of Windows...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to increase the number of days to roll back Windows to a previous version of Windows...: windows https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-increase-the-number-of-days-to-roll-back/8dc4f0ac-b058-4ab3-b277-9ad7deeb51f5
  3. How to increase the number of days to roll back Windows to a previous version of Windows...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to increase the number of days to roll back Windows to a previous version of Windows...: windows https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-increase-the-number-of-days-to-roll-back/8dc4f0ac-b058-4ab3-b277-9ad7deeb51f5
  4. How to increase the number of days to roll back Windows to a previous version of Windows...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to increase the number of days to roll back Windows to a previous version of Windows...: Windows 11 roll back.*Moved from feedback. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-increase-the-number-of-days-to-roll-back/67a28ee8-716d-4577-bf28-e295fd780434
  5. How to increase the number of days to roll back Windows to a previous version of Windows...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to increase the number of days to roll back Windows to a previous version of Windows...: Windows 11 roll back.*Moved from feedback. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-increase-the-number-of-days-to-roll-back/67a28ee8-716d-4577-bf28-e295fd780434
  6. Go back to previous version of Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Go back to previous version of Windows 10: Hi if I use “go back to previous version of windows 10 does it go back to 1909 because 20h2 is so damn slow and if I did that will it delete my files on D: drive or just C: system drive...
  7. Can't go back to previous version

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't go back to previous version: I just upgraded to 1909, I read that they fixed the problem with search in File Explorer - they didn't it still doesn't work, and now it says "Your pc was updated more than 10 days ago". I tried 1909 several months ago, did not like the fact that you can't search in File...
  8. go back to previous version

go back to previous version: hello! have a good day! i have an issue regarding windows 10, kindly need some assistance. currently i have upgraded windows 10 1803 to 1809 version. and i have also deleted windows.old folder from c drive. but i am facing some issues with 1809 version. is their any...
  9. Resting Windows will go back to previous version?

Resting Windows will go back to previous version?: I want to reset my PC. I am running Windows 10, but my PC came preinstalled with Windows 8.1. If I reset my PC, will it reset to Windows 8.1?...
  10. going back to a previous version of windows

going back to a previous version of windows: I'm thinking of going back to a previous version of windows right before the creators update (i think its the same as 1703). I don't like all the changes it caused, mainly not being able to rearrange my files the way i want to, that's a must have for me. Since i have never...