Windows 10: Set Preferred GPU for Apps in Windows 10

Discus and support Set Preferred GPU for Apps in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Set Preferred GPU for Apps in Windows 10 How to Set Preferred GPU for Apps in Windows 10 Starting with Windows 10 build 17093, Microsoft is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Dec 20, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Set Preferred GPU for Apps in Windows 10

How to: Set Preferred GPU for Apps in Windows 10

How to Set Preferred GPU for Apps in Windows 10

Starting with Windows 10 build 17093, Microsoft is introducing a new Graphics settings page for Multi-GPU systems that allows you to manage the graphics performance preference of your apps. You may be familiar with similar graphics control panels from AMD and Nvidia, and you can continue to use those control panels. When you set an application preference in the Windows Graphics settings, that will take precedence over the other control panel settings.

This new setting allows you to specify which GPU you prefer to use by default for specific Store (universal) and Desktop (classic) apps. Preferences may provide better app performance or save battery life. Choices may not take effect until the next time the app launches.

Generally, the power saving GPU is the integrated GPU on a system, and the high performance GPU is the discrete GPU or external GPU. If you have both a discrete GPU and an external GPU on a system, the external GPU is considered the high performance GPU.

Applications are always allowed to have the ultimate choice of which GPU to use, so you may see additional applications that do not follow the preferences you set. In that case, look for a setting within the application itself to choose a preference.

This tutorial will show you how to set a preferred GPU to use for specific apps for your account in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:

OPTION ONE [/i] Add Apps to Set Preferred GPU for in Settings
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the System icon.

2. Click/tap on Display on the left side, and click/tap on the Graphics settings link on the right side. (see screenshot below)

Set Preferred GPU for Apps in Windows 10 [​IMG]

3. Do step 4 (Desktop apps) or step 5 (Store apps) below for which type of app you want to add.

4. To Add Desktop (Classic) App to Set GPU Preference for
    A) Select Classic app in the "Choose an app to set preference" drop menu, and click/tap on the Browse button. (see screenshot below)

B) Navigate to and select the .exe file (ex: "mspaint.exe") you want to add, click/tap on Add, and go to step 6 below. (see screenshot below)

5. To Add Store (Universal) App to Set GPU Preference for
    A) Select Universal app in the "Choose an app to set preference" drop menu. (see screenshot below)

B) Select an app (ex: "Paint 3D") in the drop menu you want to add.

C) Click/tap on the Add button, and go to step 6 below.

6. When finished adding apps, go to step 3 in Option Two below to set the preferred GPU you want for these apps.

OPTION TWO [/i] Set Preferred GPU for Apps in Settings

2. Click/tap on Display on the left side, and click/tap on the Graphics settings link on the right side. (see screenshot below)

3. Click/tap on an added app (ex: "Paint 3D") in the list you want to set or change the GPU preference for, and click/tap on the Options button. (see screenshot below)

4. Select (dot) System default (default), Power saving, or High performance for the GPU preference you want for this app, and click/tap on Save. (see screenshot below)
    [table][tr][td]GPU Preference[/td] [td]Description[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]System default[/td] [td]To let Windows decide the best GPU for your application.[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Power saving[/td] [td]A request to run the application on the most power saving GPU available.[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]High performance[/td] [td]A request to run the application on the most high performance GPU available.[/td] [/tr] [/table]

*note Generally, the power saving GPU is the integrated GPU on a system, and the high performance GPU is the discrete GPU or external GPU. If you have both a discrete GPU and an external GPU on a system, the external GPU is considered the high performance GPU.

5. When finished, you can close Settings if you like.

OPTION THREE [/i] Remove Apps from Preferred GPU List in Settings

*note Removing an added app from your preferred GPU list will have the app use the system default preferences.

3. Click/tap on an added app (ex: "Paint 3D") in the list you want to remove, and click/tap on the Remove button. (see screenshot below)

4. When finished, you can close Settings if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Dec 20, 2017
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

As you may already know, Windows 10 (as well as Windows 8) allow you to log in with a valid Microsoft account, instead of creating a local account that only works on your machine. However, you may prefer to keep a local account for privacy reasons. If you do, though, some Windows 10 features—like Cortana—may not work. Despite the default behavior, the Windows 10 Store is not one of them. You can still log in to your Microsoft account for just the Store without switching to a full Microsoft account. The process, however, is not terribly obvious. To do so, follow these steps:

• Launch the Store from your Start menu.
    • Click the user icon next to the search box.
    • Click “Sign-in” from the menu that appears.
    • Choose “Microsoft account” and log in like normal.
    • When the “Make it yours” box appears do not enter your password. Instead, click “Sign in to just this app instead.”
    from Lifehacker

Ahhzz, Oct 27, 2019
  3. Anna Bon Win User
    Windows Keeps resetting app preferences

Hi DanielGibbons,

We understand that you are having issues with your Windows app preferences. Please answer the questions below so we can assist you further:

• What specific update was applied on your Windows 10?
    • Did it also reset your PC settings configuration, or just the app preferences specifically for videos and picture files?
    • Did you make any changes prior to this issue?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

In the meantime, you can also try the steps below and check if it will work:

1. Perform a clean boot.
    It will start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. Also, it helps eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install a program, or an update, or when you run a program in Windows.

2. Once done, try to set again your preferences for videos and picture files.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Anna Bon, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Cvrk Win User

Installing Windows 10 on Lumia 920

I have a Lumia 920 mobile phone.
    Found a list on the net with compatible phones that support Win 10. Mine is on that list.
    Can't upgrade with the usual way.
    Found help on this official website of developers for Windows Phones. It's a step by step no brainer thing. Most people are doing it. Except me. I can't get past point 6. HOWTO: Install Windows 10 for Phones on Non-supported devices (and other hacks)

"6.Connect to the same WiFi that your PC is on. Edit the settings for the WiFi connection to turn on the Proxy and set it to use the PC’s IP address and enter 8877 for the port "

7. Open Internet Explorer on your phone and navigate to http://[pc.ip.add.ress]:8877 where [pc.ip.add.ress] is the IP address of the PC running the WPInsidersHacks app

No idea what this means.I guess i need to access the router and modify some settings in there. Some guy on the forum told me " think he means to use the local IP address of the pc. Go to cmd and type ipconfig and look for ipv4 address. Should be somethin like 192/......"

I did connect my phone as always via wi-fi to my router. But i have no ideea how to use that proxy or how to make my phone have the same Ip as computer. I did start WPInsiderHacks app on pc. This is what it looks like

Theres also this official Windows 10 Preview On Nokia Lumia 920 - Windows Central Forums
    It says this :
    1. Download the Windows Insider app.
    Press ... > about > make sure Sys free space is 300MB or more.
    If there isn't enough space, make full reset with Windows Phone Recovery Tool.

Code:
    upwp10.chinacloudapp.cn:7777

Download and install certificate.
    3. Edit WiFi connection, enable Proxy

Code:
    upwp10.chinacloudapp.cn

4. Open Insider app, click get builds
    5. You will get Enroll page, do not Enroll yet!
    6. Switch to WIFI settings, turn off proxy.
    7. Switch to Windows Insider app and now you can enroll for Windows 10 Technical Preview.
    Choose Fast option.
    8. Check Settings > Phone update.
    If it can't find updates, you may need to reboot your phone and enroll again (without a proxy now).

Same thing with the proxy. Anyways the more detailed steps on the DEV forum are much better i think .Cuz they put out more info on how to do it.

Can anybody help me with step 6 ?

5. Can't change printer preferences in Windows 10

Hi Chris,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft community.

I apologize for the inconvenience caused. We are glad to help you.

• What exactly happens when you try to go into printer driver settings from Control Panel?
    I suggest you to try the steps given below and check if it helps:

Step 1:

• Type change default printer and hit
      enter.

• Check whether you are able to change the preferences and properties from here.

Step 2:

• Type printers and scanners and hit
      enter.

• Check whether you are able to change the preferences and properties from here.

Hope this information helps. Do contact us for further queries. We will be happy to assist you.

Regards,

Jenith

Jenith_James, Oct 27, 2019
  6. Mithin_EJ Win User
    Is there a way to force a program to use a secondary GPU?

Hi Zeond1987,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community.

Are you getting any error message?

If you have a multi-GPU system running Windows 10, you can now manually specify the preferred graphics processor an app should use for performance or to improve battery life.

In order to force an app to use a discrete GPU instead of the integrated one, or vice versa to provide better system performance or battery life, I suggest you to follow the below steps.

1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the System icon. Click on System.

2. Click on Display on the left side

3. Under “Multiple displays,” click the Advanced graphics settings link.

4. Select the kind of app you want to configured using the drop-down menu:

Classic app — these are your traditional Win32 desktop programs.

Universal app — these are those app available through the Microsoft Store.

5. If you select Classic app, you’ll need to click the Browse button to locate the “.exe” file to add the app. Otherwise, if you select the Universal app option, you’ll see a second drop-down menu to select the app.

6. Select the app you added from the list.

7. Click the Options button

8. Set the graphics preference you want to use:

System default — this is always the default setting, and Windows 10 decide which GPU to use automatically.

Power saving — runs the application on the GPU that uses the least power, which most of the time is your integrated graphics processor.

High performance — runs the application on the most capable GPU, which is most of the time an external or discrete graphics processor.

9. Click the Save button.

I also recommend you to update the GTX 1080 drivers from the manufacturer website, and
    Check if that work.

Hope it helps,

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking Yes Or No

Mithin_EJ, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Set Preferred GPU for Apps in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Set Preferred GPU

2. Secondary GPU not showing in graphics settings/graphics performance preferences

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Secondary GPU not showing in graphics settings/graphics performance preferences: I currently have two gpus in my system, a GTX 1080 primary and an RX570 secondary. I would like to use my primary gpu for playing games and my secondary gpu for other tasks using graphics performance preferences but only my 1080 is showing up in the options. I have drivers...
  3. Secondary GPU not showing in graphics settings/graphics performance preferences

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Secondary GPU not showing in graphics settings/graphics performance preferences: I currently have two gpus in my system, a GTX 1080 primary and an RX570 secondary. I would like to use my primary gpu for playing games and my secondary gpu for other tasks using graphics performance preferences but only my 1080 is showing up in the options. I have drivers...
  4. set global preferred gpu

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    set global preferred gpu: Hi, I know it's possible to set preferred GPU app by app, but can I set one globally? My intention is to set iGPU as default and I'll just add "exception" apps that should run dGPU to save battery life. I've already set default gpu to igpu in nvidia control panel, but it...
  5. GPU not available as graphics preference in windows settings

in Windows 10 Customization
    GPU not available as graphics preference in windows settings: Hello, I am having issues getting some programs to utilize my dedicated graphics card on my laptop over the default integrated graphics. Normally this GPU would appear as the the high performance option in graphics settings but it is no longer there and I cant force certain...
  6. How to backup and restore GPU Preferences for Apps in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to backup and restore GPU Preferences for Apps in Windows 10: [ATTACH]Starting with Windows 10 build 17093, Microsoft introduced a new Graphics settings page for […] This article How to backup and restore GPU Preferences for Apps in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  7. How to reset GPU Preferences for Apps to Default in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to reset GPU Preferences for Apps to Default in Windows 10: [ATTACH]Microsoft has now introduced a new Graphics settings page for Multi-GPU systems that allows […] This article How to reset GPU Preferences for Apps to Default in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  8. Is it possible to create backup for Set Preferred GPU list?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is it possible to create backup for Set Preferred GPU list?: Hi, i maked long list for every single software that can work with Windows 10. I just want to backup that list. Any ideas? submitted by /u/benikalbindeara [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ihmet0/is_it_possible_to_create_backup_for_set_preferred/
  9. GPU preference for apps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    GPU preference for apps: I have NVIDIA GeForce MX 130 GPU in my laptop but still in the graphics settings tab, in the high performance GPU it shows the Intel's integrated GPU. While playing games I want the dedicated GPU to start. How to do?[ATTACH]...
  10. Cannot select second Nvida GPU in Graphics Settings GPU Preference.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot select second Nvida GPU in Graphics Settings GPU Preference.: First of all, I have an Nvida 1070 (primary) and a 770 (extended). My integrated GPU is disabled in the BIOS. I'm running Windows 10. So, what I would like to do is make Chrome use the 770 since I use my primary 1070 to game and what have you. While watching videos on...