Windows 10: Set up admin account on system with standard account only

Discus and support Set up admin account on system with standard account only in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hello everyone. This is my first post on Ten Forums. How can I create an admin account on a system that only has a standard user account? I suspect... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by finnfire, Nov 11, 2015.

1. finnfire Win User

Set up admin account on system with standard account only

Hello everyone. This is my first post on Ten Forums.

How can I create an admin account on a system that only has a standard user account? I suspect that the answer is that I can't, but I live in hope.

I can't provide specific details of the PC in question because it's my son's, and he lives 35+ miles away. He was running Win 8.1 but recently (in the past couple of days) upgraded to 10 and has run into a driver issue. He can't upgrade the driver because he doesn't have admin rights. I think he has an admin account on his system because I put it there, but it doesn't show up as a log-in option.

I've tried to enable the hidden admin account from a standard user acc on my system by running the command prompt as admin but am always to verify as admin - catch 22...

TIA for any advice offered,

Steve

:)

finnfire, Nov 11, 2015

2. Windows 10 error "file system error (-1073741819)" can't run any .exe files

Did not work permanently for me. I have one admin account and two standard accounts. In the first standard account, I set the sound scheme to 'No sound' and the 'Run as Admin' worked. Switched it back to Windows Default and it failed again. Switched to the
    second account, set the sound to 'No sound' -- no effect on 'Run as Admin' -- still fails.

Only thing that works consistently is to use the admin account to manually start the Windows Modules Installer service, then switch to one of the standard accounts. But that's way too complicated.

HGerechter, Nov 11, 2015
  3. Tryx3 Win User
    want to change from user account to admin account

Some minor points to avoid any confusion in terms later on -

1 "from admin to user account" - No, you changed an Admin user account to a Standard user account. They are both types of user account.

2 Only Admin user accounts can create new user accounts.

3 Only Admin user accounts can "elevate" a Standard user account to be an Admin user account.

Denis

Tryx3, Nov 11, 2015
  4. simrick Win User

Hi finnfire and welcome to Tenforums.

If you did indeed put an administrative account on your son's machine, then it would show up when he tries to do something that requires administrative privileges, (i.e. install a new program), and ask for that account's password. When the UAC pops up, the administrative account will be there waiting for the password to be entered. If you remember the password for that account, then he can do whatever he needs to do, if you give it to him.

If this doesn't work, you could try Option #4 in this tutorial:
    Administrator account - Enable or Disable in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Edit: Once the hidden Admin account is enabled, boot into Windows, log into that account, create a user with administrative rights, and then go back to step #4 and disable the hidden Admin account.

simrick, Nov 12, 2015
  5. finnfire Win User
    Thanks simrick, that seemed to do the trick *Smile

I trialled it on a copy of my Win 10 virtual machine. I booted into it using the Win 8 installation disk and it worked a treat. I've played with regedit before so I hoped that there was a switch somewhere in the registry.

I'll let you know when I've done the same on my son's laptop.

Cheers,

Steve

finnfire, Nov 12, 2015
  6. simrick Win User
    That's good news! *Biggrin
    Cheers Steve

simrick, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Set up admin account on system with standard account only - Similar Threads - Set admin account

2. Blocked admin account by standard account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Blocked admin account by standard account: Hi ! please someone help me i need to tell you that i was setting some fuctions for me ..... ya i know i stupid but somehow i changed my account type to standard and block admin account ....i can't get admin powers and admin account is gone somewhere i need help please :...
  3. Blocked admin account by standard account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Blocked admin account by standard account: Hi ! please someone help me i need to tell you that i was setting some fuctions for me ..... ya i know i stupid but somehow i changed my account type to standard and block admin account ....i can't get admin powers and admin account is gone somewhere i need help please :...
  4. Accidentally changed my only account on windows 10 from an admin to a standard account

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Accidentally changed my only account on windows 10 from an admin to a standard account: Okay so for a long time I've been trying to get my pc to automatically sign into windows, but every time I enable it in the registry it would say "username or password is incorrect on startup", so I thought there might be a hidden account or something, so dumb me was messing...
  5. Using admin power on a standard account?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Using admin power on a standard account?: Can I do that? I don't really understand how a standard user works. If I use a standard user and introduce the admin password, can I make changes to the administrator user as well? I can't understand how the HDD storage is affected when using 2 accounts. I've just came from...
  6. About accounts: Admin/Standard user?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    About accounts: Admin/Standard user?: I just did a clean install of W10 for a friend. I havent set up a fresh install of 10 and am familar with the structure of accounts in W7> So. Clarify for me the "rights" of accounts(that i set up) in W10 Do they have adminstrator rights? Plan was to set up and Admin account...
  7. Gain admin powers with standard account

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Gain admin powers with standard account: Hello, So recently, i created a standard account to use as a testing account. I have rarely needed to use my admin account or install any programs. However, i noticed that i had forgotten the password to my admin account. I have access to the standard one right now. Any...
  8. Why is a standard account vs admin account recommended?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Why is a standard account vs admin account recommended?: Why is Microsoft recommending a standard account vs admin account when setting up Windows on a brand new device? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/why-is-a-standard-account-vs-admin-account/33d9babe-3309-41e8-8743-305f1aa64705
  9. User admin account to make changes that show up in standard account?

User admin account to make changes that show up in standard account?: If I login to the administrator account to make changes, I naturally want any changes I make to appear in the standard user account since that is the one I am making changes for. Does this happen automatically or do I have to do something special to make sure it always works...
  10. Local Admin Account vs standard Account

Local Admin Account vs standard Account: i have to ask this i am on Windows 10 Home build 16299.19 as i am currently terminating an old account and going to my most current account but i am concerned that the one i use to login into my current PC might be lost and i do wonder if the admin account i use for this HP...