Windows 10: Set up and Add a VPN Connection in Windows 10

Discus and support Set up and Add a VPN Connection in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Set up and Add a VPN Connection in Windows 10 How to Set up and Add a VPN Connection in Windows 10 [img] Information Whether it's for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Set up and Add a VPN Connection in Windows 10

How to: Set up and Add a VPN Connection in Windows 10

How to Set up and Add a VPN Connection in Windows 10

Set up and Add a VPN Connection in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information Whether it's for work or personal use, you can connect to a VPN (virtual private network) on your Windows 10 PC. A VPN connection can help provide a more secure connection to your network and the Internet.

A virtual private network (VPN) allows you to connect to the internet via a server run by a VPN provider. A VPN extends a private network across a public network, and enables users to send and receive data across shared or public networks as if their computing devices were directly connected to the private network. ("In the simplest terms, it creates a secure, encrypted connection, which can be thought of as a tunnel, between your computer and a server operated by the VPN service." Applications running across the VPN may therefore benefit from the functionality, security, and management of the private network.

For more information about a VPN, see:
    Before you can connect to a VPN, you must have a VPN profile on your PC.

This tutorial will show you different ways on how to set up and add a VPN (virtual private network) connection in Windows 10.

Note You will need to know the following information to add a VPN connection:
    • VPN server name or address (ex: "fre.mypn.co" for a My Private Network VPN)
    • VPN type (normally "PPTP" protocol)
    • Username and password to connect to the VPN server (This is provided when you sign up with the VPN)
    • If you need to use a specific connection name for the VPN provider, or if you can use any connection name you like.
    • Check with your VPN provider for any additional required details.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Add a VPN Connection in Settings
    • Option Two: To Add a VPN Connection in Network and Sharing Center
    • Option Three: To Add a VPN Connection in PowerShell
    • Option Four: To Add a VPN Connection using rasphone.exe (Remote Access Phonebook)

OPTION ONE [/i] To Add a VPN Connection in Settings
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the Network & Internet icon.

2. Click/tap on VPN on the left side, and click/tap on Add a VPN connection on the right side. (see screenshot below)

3. Fill out the details below for your VPN service provider, and click/tap on Save when finished. (see screenshot below)
    • VPN provider - Select "Windows (built-in)"
    • Connection name - Usually this can be any name you want, but some VPN providers may require a specific name.
    • Server name or address - You will need to get this from your VPN provider.
    • VPN type - Usually this will be "Point to Point Tunneling Protocol (PPTP)", but you will need to see what your VPN provider requires. If you like, you can select "Automatic" to have Windows 10 detect the protocol for you.
    • Type of sign-in info - Usually this will be "User name and password", but you will need to see what your VPN provider requires.
    • User name - This is optional to enter, but is required to enter if you want to check the Remember my sign-in info box to automatically sign in to the VPN whenever you connect to the VPN.
    • Password - This is optional to enter, but is required to enter if you want to check the Remember my sign-in info box to automatically sign in to the VPN whenever you connect to the VPN.

4. When finished, you can connect to the VPN when you want.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Add a VPN Connection in Network and Sharing Center
    1. Open the Control Panel (icons view), and click/tap on the Network and Sharing Center icon.

2. Click/tap on the Set up a new connection or network link under "Change your network settings". (see screenshot below)

3. Click/tap on the Connect to a workplace option, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

4. Click/tap on Use my Internet connection (VPN). (see screenshot below)

5. Fill out the details below for your VPN service provider, check or uncheck the options you want, and click/tap on Create when finished. (see screenshot below)
    • Internet address (Server name or address) - You will need to get this from your VPN provider.
    • Destination name (Connection name) - Usually this can be any name you want, but some VPN providers may require a specific name.
    • Remember my credentials - Check or uncheck based on if you want to automatically sign in to the VPN whenever you connect to the VPN.

6. When finished, you can connect to the VPN when you want. You will be prompted for your user name and password for the VPN the first time you connect to the VPN.

OPTION THREE [/i] To Add a VPN Connection in PowerShell

Note To see more information and usage options for the Add-VpnConnection command, see: Add-VpnConnection - Microsoft Windows IT Center

1. Open PowerShell.

2. Enter the command below you want to use into PowerShell, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
    (Without remember my credentials)
    *Arrow Add-VpnConnection -Name "Connection Name" -ServerAddress "Server name or address" -Force -PassThru

OR

(With remember my credentials)
    *Arrow Add-VpnConnection -Name "Connection Name" -ServerAddress "Server name or address" -RememberCredential -Force -PassThru

Note Substitute Connection Name in the command above with the actual connection name for the VPN (ex: "MPN"). Usually this can be any name you want, but some VPN providers may require a specific name.

Substitute Server name or address in the command above with the actual server name or address (ex: "fre.mypn.co") required by your VPN provider (ex: "My Private Network").

For example: Add-VpnConnection -Name "MPN" -ServerAddress "fre.mypn.co" -RememberCredential -Force -PassThru

3. When finished, you can connect to the VPN when you want. You will be prompted for your user name and password for the VPN the first time you connect to the VPN.

OPTION FOUR [/i] To Add a VPN Connection using rasphone.exe (Remote Access Phonebook)
    1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type rasphone into Run, and click/tap on OK to open Network Connections (Remote Access Phonebook).

2. If the phonebook is empty, click/tap on OK, and go to step 4 below. (see screenshot below)

3. If the phonebook is not empty, click/tap on New, and go to step 4 below. (see screenshot below)

4. Click/tap on Workplace network. (see screenshot below)

5. Fill out the details below for your VPN service provider, check or uncheck the options you want, and click/tap on Create when finished. (see screenshot below)
    • Internet address (Server name or address) - You will need to get this from your VPN provider.
    • Destination name (Connection name) - Usually this can be any name you want, but some VPN providers may require a specific name.
    • Remember my credentials - Check or uncheck based on if you want to automatically sign in to the VPN whenever you connect to the VPN.

6. When finished, you can connect to the VPN when you want. You will be prompted for your user name and password for the VPN the first time you connect to the VPN.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Aug 17, 2017

2. How to set up a VPN in Windows 7 HELP!!

Following are the steps for configuring Incoming VPN Connection in Windows 7

First go to Control Panel and open Network and Sharing Center.
    Click on Change adapter settings.
    Press Alt+F and select New Incoming connection
    Put a check on who you’d like to give access to this computer or you can configure a new account by clicking on Add someone,after that click on Next.
    Put a check mark on Through the Internet. Click on Next.
    Select the protocols you want to enable for this connection. Click on Allow access.
    Make a note of the Computer name as this will be used by the client to connect to this computer and after that Click on Close.

Following are the steps for configuring Outgoing VPN Connection in Windows 7

First go to Control Panel and open Network and Sharing Center.
    Click on Set up a new connection or network.
    Select Connect to a workplace then click on Next.
    Select Use my internet connection (VPN).
    Type the IP address or computer name where you wish to connect and your connection name under the Destination name field.
    Enter a User name and password that has been granted access to the host computer.
    For getting connected through created VPN connection, you can either right-click on the Network icon in the system tray and select Network and Sharing Center or go to Control Panel and open Network and Sharing Center, and click on Connect to a network.
    Now connect VPN Connection windows will appears.

brandonwh64, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Knoxx29 Win User
    Vpn ( trusted Vpn)

Hi everyone.
    I am not an expert about Vpn and that's why I would like to know if someone could list me a few trusted Vpns, I would really appreciate any suggestion/ advice.

Thanks.

Knoxx29, Oct 26, 2019
  4. P4-630 Win User

Vpn ( trusted Vpn)

Tired of Germany blocking many youtube videos? *Big Grin Set up and Add a VPN Connection in Windows 10 :D

P4-630, Oct 26, 2019
  5. VPN link in network connection opens VPN settings instead of connecting to VPN

I've set up a VPN connection to my home network and it displays when you click on the network connection tray icon. However, when you click on the link for the VPN, instead of connecting you, it just opens the VPN settings screen. This is annoying. If
    it's already set up, just connect! That's how it used to work in older versions of windows. Now it requires an extra window and an extra step.

Samuel Stainback, Oct 26, 2019
  6. Blue Screen After Connecting VPN in Windows 10

Hi,

There are different factors that can contribute as to why you're getting a blue screen with a stop error on your computer when you attempted to connect to a VPN. This could be caused by an outdated device driver or software compatibility settings. For us
    to resolve your concern, kindly answer the question below:

• Are you using a third party software to set up the VPN connection or are you using the native option of Windows 10 to
      set up the VPN connection?
    • We would also like to confirm if the error message that you provided is the complete error message that you saw or were there any other codes or messages that showed up with it?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you attempted so far?
    • Which build and version of Windows 10 do you have installed in your computer?

We look forward to your response to our queries.

Jordan Dom, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Set up and Add a VPN Connection in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Set Add VPN

2. How to set up VPN Connection

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to set up VPN Connection: Hi, This is Aadi I wantes to ask how to set up a VPN connection on windows 10. actually the problem is that i dont know the server name or address i have both ethernet and wifi please help.regards...
  3. How to set up VPN Connection

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to set up VPN Connection: Hi, This is Aadi I wantes to ask how to set up a VPN connection on windows 10. actually the problem is that i dont know the server name or address i have both ethernet and wifi please help.regards...
  4. How to set up VPN Connection

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Setting up a VPN

Setting up a VPN: I get an error message CANNOT REOLVE SERVER - what do I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/setting-up-a-vpn/80967ba6-f364-4716-ae5b-c56c81aeb873
  6. Setting up a VPN

Setting up a VPN: When setting up a VPN, which address do I use? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/setting-up-a-vpn/23683ad0-f682-4e6f-9236-c2a64123199e
  7. wanting to set up a vpn

wanting to set up a vpn: I have been thinking lately about wanting to set up a vpn on my home network, kinda for added security and kinda because everyone I know is using one, however I have at and t for internet and not sure if there are any that work on at and t. anyone have any suggestions on how...
  8. wanting to set up a vpn

in Windows 10 Support
    wanting to set up a vpn: I have been thinking lately about wanting to set up a vpn on my home network, kinda for added security and kinda because everyone I know is using one, however I have at and t for internet and not sure if there are any that work on at and t. anyone have any suggestions on how...
  9. Issues setting up windows 10 VPN server, can't connect

Issues setting up windows 10 VPN server, can't connect: Hello, I've been having issues setting a VPN in w10. I keep getting this error when I try to connect: "The remote connection was not made because the attempted VPN tunnels failed. The VPN server might be unreachable. If this connection is attempting to use an L2TP/IPsec...
  10. How to set up a VPN that iOS 10 devices can connect to?

How to set up a VPN that iOS 10 devices can connect to?: Hi, Using Windows 10 I've set up a VPN server at home. The idea is not to hide my IP, but to use my own network IP when at work etc. Hence I do not use VPN providers or similar. I think it uses PPTP (?) connection. After upgrading my iPad and iPhone to iOS 10 this...