Windows 10: Set Up Security Key to Log into Apps in Windows 10

Discus and support Set Up Security Key to Log into Apps in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Set Up Security Key to Log into Apps in Windows 10 How to Set Up Security Key to Log into Apps in Windows 10 A security key (ex: YubiKey)... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Suzy, Feb 24, 2015.

1. Suzy Win User

Set Up Security Key to Log into Apps in Windows 10

How to: Set Up Security Key to Log into Apps in Windows 10

How to Set Up Security Key to Log into Apps in Windows 10

A security key (ex: YubiKey) is a physical device that you can use instead of your user name and password to sign in. Since its used in addition to a fingerprint or PIN, even if someone has your security key, they wont be able to sign in without the PIN or fingerprint that you create. Security keys are usually available for purchase from retailers that sell computer accessories.

There are different types of security keys that you can use, like a USB key that you plug in to your device or an NFC key that you tap on an NFC reader. Make sure to familiarize yourself with the type of security key you have by reading the instruction manual from the manufacturer.

Starting with Windows 10 build 18298, you can now set up a security key straight from Settings that you can log you into applications.

When you set up a security key, you add a FIDO2 PIN that helps keep it safe. Your security key PIN can be reset if needed.

This tutorial will show you how to set up a security key that can log you into applications for your account in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Set Up Security Key to Add PIN in Windows 10 Settings
    • Option Two: Set Up Security Key to Add PIN with YubiKey Manager

OPTION ONE [/i] Set Up Security Key to Add PIN in Windows 10 Settings
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the Accounts icon.

2. Click/tap on Sign-in options on the left side, and click/tap on Security Key under Manage how you sign in to your device on the right side. (see screenshot below)

Set Up Security Key to Log into Apps in Windows 10 [​IMG]

3. Click/tap on the Manage button. (see screenshot below)

4. Insert your security key (ex: YubiKey) into the USB port on your PC. (see screenshot below)

5. Touch either the button or gold disk on your blinking security key. (see screenshot below)

6. Click/tap on the Add button under Security Key PIN. (see screenshot below)

7. Enter a security key PIN number you want to use, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

*note The FIDO2 PIN must be at least 4 characters.

8. Click/tap on Close. (see screenshot below)

9. You can now close Settings if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] Set Up Security Key to Add PIN with YubiKey Manager

*note This option will only work with a YubiKey security key.
    1. If you haven't already, you will need to download and install YubiKey Manager.

2. Open the YubiKey Manager app.

3. Insert your YubiKey into the port (ex: USB) on your PC. (see screenshot below)

4. Click/tap on Applications on the toolbar, and click/tap on FIDO2. (see screenshot below)

5. Click/tap on the Set PIN button under FIDO2 PIN. (see screenshot below)

6. Enter a security key PIN number you want to use, and click/tap on Set PIN. (see screenshot below)

*note The FIDO2 PIN must be at least 4 characters.

7. Click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

8. Your PIN is now set for the security key. You can now close YubiKey Manager if you like. (see screenshot below)

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

As you may already know, Windows 10 (as well as Windows 8) allow you to log in with a valid Microsoft account, instead of creating a local account that only works on your machine. However, you may prefer to keep a local account for privacy reasons. If you do, though, some Windows 10 features—like Cortana—may not work. Despite the default behavior, the Windows 10 Store is not one of them. You can still log in to your Microsoft account for just the Store without switching to a full Microsoft account. The process, however, is not terribly obvious. To do so, follow these steps:

• Launch the Store from your Start menu.
    • Click the user icon next to the search box.
    • Click “Sign-in” from the menu that appears.
    • Choose “Microsoft account” and log in like normal.
    • When the “Make it yours” box appears do not enter your password. Instead, click “Sign in to just this app instead.”
    from Lifehacker

Ahhzz, Oct 27, 2019
  3. windows 10 key

Thanks but I don't want to do any decrypting. I want to download a Win 10 ISO from Microsoft and install it using my Win 8 key. No other steps required. Is that possible?

Easy Rhino, Oct 27, 2019
  4. essenbe Win User

essenbe, Oct 27, 2019
  5. P4-630 Win User
    DOWNLOAD WINDOWS 10 NOW - Upgrade and ISO direct from microsoft

Click to expand... Yeah I went to that site, why do I need to buy a key?
    I won't buy a key, stupid.

I'll revert back to windows 7 then.

When I still was on windows 7, about a year ago I added 4GB extra ram which is a total of 8GB now,
    is that causing the problem?

P4-630, Oct 27, 2019
  6. Installing Windows 10 using Windows 7 key

Nope, you need to install Windows 10 first and make sure the Windows 7 key is transferred to your Windows account after you've installed Windows 10 (not quite sure how that works). I missed the last step and I could not activate Windows 10 after a re-install... Microsoft seem to have done everything they can to make it a PITA. Also, it's technically too late to do this now anyhow, as the upgrade offer has expired. But KMSPico works quite well...

As for getting rid of Windows, delete the Windows folder.

TheLostSwede, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Set Up Security Key to Log into Apps in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Set Security Key

2. Windows asking for USB security key I never set up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows asking for USB security key I never set up: Out of the blue, when I use some apps, Windows is asking me to sign in with my USB Security key. But I never set up a USB Security Key, and it will not let me sign in any other way.In Security -> Ways to sign In, I see several sign-in options there and most of them have a...
  3. Windows asking for USB security key I never set up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows asking for USB security key I never set up: Out of the blue, when I use some apps, Windows is asking me to sign in with my USB Security key. But I never set up a USB Security Key, and it will not let me sign in any other way.In Security -> Ways to sign In, I see several sign-in options there and most of them have a...
  4. Security settings and Personal Vault require a security key, except none is set up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Security settings and Personal Vault require a security key, except none is set up: Hello,I recently switched my phone which had the authenticator app, and now everything that required access through the authenticator verification is messed up as the settings haven't transferred properly. I was trying to access my account security settings earlier and I was...
  5. Security settings and Personal Vault require a security key, except none is set up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Security settings and Personal Vault require a security key, except none is set up: Hello,I recently switched my phone which had the authenticator app, and now everything that required access through the authenticator verification is messed up as the settings haven't transferred properly. I was trying to access my account security settings earlier and I was...
  6. Security settings and Personal Vault require a security key, except none is set up

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  7. Setting up security Key in Windows 10.

Setting up security Key in Windows 10.: Something went wrong We encountered an issue setting up your security key. The security key you used is not supported. Make sure you have a Microsoft-compatible security key and try again. Bought a brand new Sandisk ULTRA USB3 32gb. Encountered an issue. So which keys are...
  8. Windows 10 Set Up Security

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Set Up Security: Hi All. I am reaching out to what the best approach for remote assistance would suit, I am struggling to manage data in a compliant manner to suit all parties in addition to Windows, iOS and Android Security, to say I having a nightmare would be an understatement, any...
  9. Change Security Key PIN to Log into Apps in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Security Key PIN to Log into Apps in Windows 10: How to: Change Security Key PIN to Log into Apps in Windows 10 How to Change Security Key PIN to Log into Apps in Windows 10 A security key (ex: YubiKey) is a physical device that you can use instead of your user name and password to sign in. Since its used in addition...
  10. Windows Boot-up security & Logging

Windows Boot-up security & Logging: I'm trying to research into more ways of locking company devices down. From the worst case if they were ever stolen it would be hard for your average Jo to access anything and general access on day to day usage/privacy. Currently using Bitlocker 256 on all HDD's. Few...