Windows 10: Set Up Security Key to Sign in to Microsoft Account in Microsoft Edge

Discus and support Set Up Security Key to Sign in to Microsoft Account in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Set Up Security Key to Sign in to Microsoft Account in Microsoft Edge How to Set Up Security Key to Sign in to Microsoft Account in Microsoft... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Andywaters1987, Mar 11, 2017.

1. Set Up Security Key to Sign in to Microsoft Account in Microsoft Edge

How to: Set Up Security Key to Sign in to Microsoft Account in Microsoft Edge

How to Set Up Security Key to Sign in to Microsoft Account in Microsoft Edge

A security key (ex: YubiKey) is a physical device that you can use instead of your user name and password to sign in. Since its used in addition to a fingerprint or PIN, even if someone has your security key, they wont be able to sign in without the PIN or fingerprint that you create. Security keys are usually available for purchase from retailers that sell computer accessories.

There are different types of security keys that you can use, like a USB key that you plug in to your device or an NFC key that you tap on an NFC reader. Make sure to familiarize yourself with the type of security key you have by reading the instruction manual from the manufacturer.

Starting with Windows 10 Windows Hello or a security key in Microsoft Edge. This can be handy if you are tired of having to remember or reset your Microsoft account password.

See also:
    This tutorial will show you how to set up a security key to sign in to your Microsoft account online using Microsoft Edge from your Windows 10 PC.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Set up Security Key sign-in method for your Microsoft account in Microsoft Edge
    • Option Two: Remove Security Key sign-in method for your Microsoft account in Microsoft Edge

EXAMPLE: Sign in to Microsoft account with Security Key in Microsoft Edge

Set Up Security Key to Sign in to Microsoft Account in Microsoft Edge [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] Set up Security Key sign-in method for your Microsoft account in Microsoft Edge
    1. If you haven't already, you will need to set up Windows Hello for your PIN for what you want to use with Microsoft Edge.

2. Open Microsoft Edge.

*note This will not work using any other web browser than Microsoft Edge.

3. Go to the Manage your sign-in methods webpage for your Microsoft account, and sign in if not already.

4. Click/tap on the Set up a security key link. (see screenshot below)

5. Select the USB device or NFC device type of security key you have, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshots below)

6. Insert your security key (ex: YubiKey) into the USB port. (see screenshot below)

7. Enter a PIN you want to use for this security key, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshots below)

8. Touch either the button or gold disk on your blinking security key. (see screenshots below)

9. Type a name you want for this sign-in method, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

10. Click/tap on Got it. (see screenshot below)

11. You will get a notification letting you know Microsoft account security info was added. (see screenshot below)

OPTION TWO [/i] Remove Security Key sign-in method for your Microsoft account in Microsoft Edge
    1. Go to the Manage your sign-in methods webpage for your Microsoft account, and sign in if not already.

*note You can do this using any web browser.

2. Click/tap on the Remove link for the security key sign-in method you want to remove it from. (see screenshot below)

3. Click/tap on Remove to confirm. (see screenshot below)

4. You will get a notification letting you know Microsoft account security info was deleted. (see screenshot below)

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Andywaters1987, Mar 11, 2017

2. Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region

I got these suggestions from the Microsoft Community forum.No. 1 worked for me:

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.
    We have reproduce the issue here and we are able to access non-regional search for google using Microsoft Edge.
    I would suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.
    Step 1:
    Clear browsing data option of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

1. Click on the More actions icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan homepage.
    2. Select Settings and click on Choose what to clear.
    3. Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files and click on Clear.
    Step 2:
    I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue occurs.

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Choose Accounts and then select Family and other users.
    3. Select add someone else on this PC.
    4. Enter a user name and hit next.
    5. Click on Finish.
    6. Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    Step 3:
    It could also happen because of network issue. I suggest you to try with different network connection and check if it helps.

hurricane51, Oct 27, 2019
  3. Teokute Win User
    Cannot sign in microsoft account.

My device: Lumia 520. GDR2.
    I cannot sign in my Microsoft account on my device. It didnt say any error but Microsoft account is not listed in Email and account list. When I click add button, it will show microsoft account option but after press sign in, it is still not shown in email
    and account. Another problem is i cannot delete facebook account. Error code: 0x83cf1202. I have tried as suggested here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2475837/en-us#step0x83cf1202 but as my Microsoft account is not shown, I cannot do step 6. Set Up Security Key to Sign in to Microsoft Account in Microsoft Edge :(

Any suggestion?

Teokute, Oct 27, 2019
  4. curatia Win User

Set Up Security Key to Sign in to Microsoft Account in Microsoft Edge

Microsoft Edge TLS Security

After trying everything (not a lot of steps) listed in the Microsoft Edge support site, I did a wider search and found this very simple youtube video that fixed it immediately:

For those who prefer not to click links the steps are simple:

1. Click in the Cortana search bar next to the Win 10 Start button

2. Type internet options

3. Select internet options (control panel) from the list

4. Click on the advanced tab

5. Scroll down to the security section

6. Make sure the following are all clicked:
    Use SSL 3.0
    Use TLS 1.0
    Use TLS 1.1
    Use TLS 1.2

7. Click apply

8. Refresh the page that was giving the error and it should now connect.

Hope this helps, it was a 30 second fix after hours of pounding my head against the error with the Support site suggestions.

curatia, Oct 27, 2019
  5. sign into microsoft account glitch

Hi Micheal,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

• Is this the only account on the computer?
    • Was this account upgraded from previous version of Windows?

It looks like you are using a local account. I suggest you follow these steps:

• Click on search in taskbar and type account.
    • Click on Accounts.
    • Now, under Your account, click on Sign in with Microsoft account instead.
    • Enter your Local account password for confirmation and then follow the screen instruction.
    • Enter User name credentials for your the new Microsoft account and click OK.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Waseemulla S, Oct 27, 2019
  6. Microsoft account set as a work account and a Microsoft Account

Hi Dean,

As per the description, I suggest that you sign out of one of the accounts and sign into the account again. This will help us to know if the account used in either of the account is not the same.

To sign-out of the Microsoft Account follow the steps below

• Sign in to your Microsoft account on Windows 10.
    • Click Start and then PC settings.
    • Click Users and accounts and under Your Profile click Disconnect on the right of the screen.
    • Enter your Microsoft account's password, and click on Next.
    • Type in a Username, Password, and Password Hint that you want set for your Local account and click
      Next. Click on Sign out and Finish button.

Your reply is very important to ensure a proper resolution. Please get back to us with the above information to assist you accordingly.

Vanessa Sohtun, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

Set Up Security Key to Sign in to Microsoft Account in Microsoft Edge

1. Set Up Security Key to Sign in to Microsoft Account in Microsoft Edge - Similar Threads - Set Security Key

2. Security settings microsoft account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Security settings microsoft account: We need some help resolving an issue. My Son's Microsoft account only had one security device. His old phone number.He now has a different phone number so we tried to change the security information.We have added his g-mail account as an alternative and offcourse also want to...
  3. Security settings microsoft account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Security settings microsoft account: We need some help resolving an issue. My Son's Microsoft account only had one security device. His old phone number.He now has a different phone number so we tried to change the security information.We have added his g-mail account as an alternative and offcourse also want to...
  4. Setting up new Microsoft Account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Setting up new Microsoft Account: I can't believe I'm posting this question when there's no service. Oh well, I have a Microsoft and Xbox account tied to my personal email which my son uses. Not knowing what we were doing 10 years ago when he got an Xbox for Christmas we used my email setting it up. It...
  5. Microsoft Account sign up problem

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Microsoft Account sign up problem: Hey,I just got windows 10 and whenever I click on add an account the sign up dialogue box pops up and immediately gets disappeared please help me I can't even add an account and I need windows protector to protect and it only works when an account is added and I can't access...
  6. Microsoft Account Security - Account protection shows Not signed into Microsoft

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Microsoft Account Security - Account protection shows Not signed into Microsoft: I am signed in on my Laptop using my Microsoft Account. The Windows 10 Page " Account protection" does not recognise I am signed in. The Microsoft Account Section reads "You are not signed into Microsoft"....
  7. Pop up Windows Security Microsoft Edge

Pop up Windows Security Microsoft Edge: On my PC running Windows 10, I have a popup. A loud message: do not shut down, On the screen there is a Box has Windows Security in small font, typed above Microsoft Edge. Below, the Microsoft Edge line, is The server 000226 gq is asking for your user name and password...
  8. Signed into Microsoft Account but windows 10 security states not signed in

Signed into Microsoft Account but windows 10 security states not signed in: I am signed in to my Microsoft Account, yet Windows 10 Security page states I am not signed it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/signed-into-microsoft-account-but-windows-10/a3052344-9911-4d78-a03d-b60fd995f70f"
  9. How to set up a security key for your Microsoft Account

in Windows 10 News
    How to set up a security key for your Microsoft Account: Microsoft introduced password-less sign-in functionality in the Microsoft Edge browser in the October 2018 Update for Windows 10. The new security feature unlocks options to sign in to Microsoft services without having to enter a password; the functionality is restricted to...
  10. Set Up Windows Hello to Sign in to Microsoft Account in Microsoft Edge

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Set Up Windows Hello to Sign in to Microsoft Account in Microsoft Edge: How to: Set Up Windows Hello to Sign in to Microsoft Account in Microsoft Edge How to Set Up Windows Hello to Sign in to Microsoft Account in Microsoft Edge on Windows 10 PC sign in to your device on the lock screen and sign in to your Microsoft account on the web....