Windows 10: Set Up Speech Recognition in Windows 10

Discus and support Set Up Speech Recognition in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Set Up Speech Recognition in Windows 10 How to Set Up Speech Recognition in Windows 10 Windows Speech Recognition lets you control your... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by AntJac, Jan 27, 2018.

1. AntJac Win User

Set Up Speech Recognition in Windows 10

How to: Set Up Speech Recognition in Windows 10

How to Set Up Speech Recognition in Windows 10

Windows Speech Recognition lets you control your PC with your voice alone, without needing a keyboard or mouse.

Using only your voice, you can open menus, click buttons and other objects on the screen, dictate text into documents, and write and send emails. Just about anything you do with your keyboard and mouse can be done with only your voice.

Speech Recognition is only available for the following languages: English (United States, United Kingdom, Canada, India, and Australia), French, German, Japanese, Mandarin (Chinese Simplified and Chinese Traditional), and Spanish.

See also:
    This tutorial will show you how to set up Speech Recognition to use for your account in Windows 10.

*note You can also convert spoken words into text anywhere on your PC with dictation.

EXAMPLE: Speech Recognition context menu and listening mode

Set Up Speech Recognition in Windows 10 [​IMG]

Here's How:

1. Connect the microphone you want to use with Speech Recognition.

2. Start Speech Recognition. (see screenshots below)

*note If you have already setup Speech Recognition, then this will only start Speech Recognition instead of opening the "Set up Speech Recognition" wizard.

3. Click/tap on Next when ready to start setting up Speech Recognition. (see screenshot below)

4. Select the type of microphone you have connected, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

5. Click/tap on Next when ready to set up your microphone. (see screenshot below)

6. Read aloud the sentence, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

7. Click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

8. Select Enable document review or Disable document review for what you want, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

*note You can improve the computer's ability to recognize spoken words by allowing Speech Recognition to review documents and email in your search index. Speech Recognition will learn words and phrases to better understand you when you speak.

You will always be able to enable or disable document review at will in Advanced speech options.

9. Select Use manual activation mode or Use voice activation mode for what you want, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

*note Use manual activation mode - Windows Speech Recognition turns off when you say the "Stop Listening" voice command, and must be turned on by clicking on the microphone button or pressing the Ctrl+Windows keys

Use voice activation mode - Speech Recognition goes into sleep mode when not in use, and can be activated by saying the "Start Listening" voice command.

You will always be able to enable or disable voice activation at will in Advanced speech options.

10. Click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

*note If you click/tap on the View Reference Sheet button, it will take you to Windows Speech Recognition voice commands | Windows Support.

11. Check (enable - default) or uncheck (disable) Run Speech Recognition at startup for what you want, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

*note You will always be able to enable or disable Run Speech Recognition at startup at will in Advanced speech options.

12. Click/tap on Start Tutorial or Skip Tutorial for what you want, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

*note If you click/tap on Start Tutorial, it will take you to Use speech recognition | Windows Support.

13. The Set up Speech Recognition wizard will now close. You can now use Speech Recognition when you want.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

AntJac, Jan 27, 2018

2. Windows Speech Recognition

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I would require more information to help you better.

Are facing any issue with speech recognition?

I would suggest you to follow the steps to see Advance speech options.

• Press Windows+X key on the keyboard
    • Click on control panel
    • Select speech recognition
    • On the left hand pane you will see Advance speech option
    I would also suggest you to refer to the below link:

How to use Speech Recognition

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-8/using-speech-recognition

(Step applies to Windows 10 as well)

Hope this information helps and let us know if you have any further queries related to Windows we will be glad to help you.

Mohammed Yaseer, Oct 27, 2019
  3. dalchina Win User
    No speech recognition at all

Hi, this may be of interest:
    Installing additional language packs for Windows 10 speech recognition random ranting

This has downloads, + a complete list of languages availablefor Win 10:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down....aspx?id=27224
    (but note the date)

fwiw I just tried it- my locale, speech, display language etc are set to UK English. (Which took some doing this time, or something was slightly messed up).

If I type speech in Cortana's search box, say, I get Windows Speech Recognition as top search.

I use Classic Shell, with the Control Panel expanded, so in a second or less I can see 'Speech Recognition' listed there.

Similarly, if I type 'Speech' in Settings I can easily see Speech Recognition.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    With the speech recognition bar displayed, task manager shows:
    SpeechRuntime.exe in C:\Windows\System32\Speech_OneCore\Common ..........

sapisvr.exe in C:\Windows\Speech\Common

running.

=================================================
    Some (older) search results:

I came across this for Win 7
    Speech Recognition - Language Configuration is Not Supported Error Fix - Windows 7 Help Forums
    - maybe there's an updated one here (see Tutorials).

There are a couple of helpful links at the end of this (but Win 7 again)
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...c-cb0ae84c939d

dalchina, Oct 27, 2019
  4. sidneylo Win User

Win 10 Speech Recognition

I was going to try the settings one more time as you suggested. However I ran into deadlock even at the first step:

“…Select the
    Speech Recognition > Set up Speech Recognition
    page…”

No such choice as “Set up Speech Recognition”. How can I send you the screen shot?

sidneylo, Oct 27, 2019
  5. Speech recognition errors

Hi Steve,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your query regarding speech recognition on the software you are using for Speech Recognizer. Let me help you in resolving the issue.

I would appreciate if you can provide us the following information to help us understand the issue better.

• How many language packs are installed and enabled on your computer and what are they?

• Does this happen with all the language packs in the computer?

• What are the recent changes that you have made to the computer prior to this issue?

• Did you try any troubleshooting steps to resolve this issue?
    The issue might be due to settings on your computer. Let’s refer to the following suggestion and check the issue status.

Refer to these steps and check the issue status.

• Press Windows and X keys together.

• Click on Control Panel.

• Open Control Panel then Speech Recognition Options.

• In the upper right of the Speech Recognition Option window click
      Advanced Speech Options.

• Remove the checkmark next to, ‘Allow computer to review your documents’.

• Click Apply and click OK
    Refer below article to Use Speech Recognition:

Voice recognition in Windows 10

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/use-voice-recognition-in-windows-10#v1h=tab02

Keep us posted on Windows related queries and we will be happy to assist you further.

Nachappa C K, Oct 27, 2019
  6. How to turn off Speech recognition in Windows 10?

Hi Peter,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

Follow the steps to turn off speech recognition in Windows 10

• Click Start then type: Change text to speech options in search bar.
    • Hit enter.
    • Select the Speech Recognition tab
    • Under 'User Settings' uncheck 'Run speech recognition at startup'
    • Click Apply and OK
    Hope this helps, let us know if you need further assistance.

Rakesh Narayanaswamy, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Set Up Speech Recognition in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Set Speech Recognition

2. Speech recognition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Speech recognition: My built-in microphone isn't working. Worse, my microphone built into my headset isn't working either. I can hear fine from the speakers both built into the computer and from the headset, but can't speak at all. What's wrong?...
  3. Speech recognition settings grayed out

in Windows 10 Customization
    Speech recognition settings grayed out: i've download English USA and United Kingdom speech pack but i still have speech recognition settings grayed out [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/speech-recognition-settings-grayed-out/74edda19-1fae-458c-bfbe-5da40348f86e
  4. I cant set up a mic for speech recognition

in Windows 10 Customization
    I cant set up a mic for speech recognition: I recently bought a game named phasmophobia and it support speech recognition but when i tried to set it up the button was just grey like in the picture down here: [ATTACH] i have the last update on windows 10 and im owning a 2 years old lenvo legion t530-28icb how do i fix...
  5. HOW TO SET UP SPEECH RECOGNITION?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    HOW TO SET UP SPEECH RECOGNITION?: I AM HAVING TROUBLE SETTING UP SPEECH RECOGNITION. I AM USING THE JACK IN THE FRONT OF THE HARDRIVE AND I CAN HEAR THROUGH MY HEADPHONES, BUT IT IS NOT PICKING UP WHEN I TRY TO RECORD MY VOICE....
  6. Speech Recognition and privacy settings

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Speech Recognition and privacy settings: I was trying to install an app for dictation and the following message displayed: "The speech recognition - privacy settings has not been accepted", with the link to "open privacy settings". When I clicked it, it shows that the online speech recognition is turned off. I...
  7. setting up microphone for speech recognition

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    setting up microphone for speech recognition: i want to configure my mike for speech recognition but the box is grey and unresponsive any suggestions https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/setting-up-microphone-for-speech-recognition/54f5029d-a446-4795-8560-6e8ca1dc3f5d
  8. Windows Speech Recognition

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Windows Speech Recognition: Does anyone else despise the Speech Recognition app as much as I do? Apparently, someone at Microsoft thought it was a good idea to remove the simple little microphone that made it possible for me to ask questions in the Search field, and in Gmail replies. What a mistake....
  9. Windows speech recognition

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows speech recognition: Windows speech recognition, on Windows 10, won't start up from control panel. The only way to get it to start is rebooting my system. Anyway to fix this?...
  10. SPEECH RECOGNITION

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SPEECH RECOGNITION: I HAVE WINDOWS 10. THE SPEECH RECOGNITION DOES NOT LOAD AT STARTUUPCAN I CORRECT THIS? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/speech-recognition/43c4fd94-71ab-4012-9ab3-0da1e255ed0a