Windows 10: Setting a metered connection for Ethernet?

Discus and support Setting a metered connection for Ethernet? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I would like to set a metered connection for Ethernet so that I don't have to sufffer the inopportune auto-updates and can instead update Windows when... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by battlezone, Feb 24, 2018.

1. Setting a metered connection for Ethernet?

I would like to set a metered connection for Ethernet so that I don't have to sufffer the inopportune auto-updates and can instead update Windows when it's convenient for me. Alas, in Network & Internet > Ethernet, "Set metered connection" is greyed out. How do I enable this option?

:)

battlezone, Feb 24, 2018

2. Setting up a printer with a metered connection

Hello,

For better assistance regarding your concern, it is best to contact the printer's manufacturer or reach out to their support website. They have support professionals who are well-equipped with the knowledge on such issues.

If you have any other questions or concerns, feel free to share them with us here. Your input is very much welcome in our Community.

Michelle Vil, Feb 24, 2018
  3. Setting up a printer with a metered connection

Setting up a printer with a metered connection

samifugitt, Feb 24, 2018
  4. Setting a metered connection for Ethernet?

battlezone, Feb 24, 2018
  5. EdTittel Win User
    EdTittel, Feb 24, 2018
  6. Hi,
    Post a screen shot of the option being grayed out
    That single post thread was from 2016 who knows if it was even true then 46 people me too'ed it so something might of been true there :/

ThrashZone, Feb 24, 2018
  7. Bree New Member
    @battlezone, it should only be greyed out if the account you are signed in with is a Standard user. It should not be greyed out for an administrator account.

For per-user setting, you could temporarily promote the account to an administrator, set metered Ethernet, then demote to a standard user again.

8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Setting a metered connection for Ethernet?

Brink, Feb 24, 2018
  9. This is welcome news. It is a correct assumption that I was logged in as a standard user when trying to set a metered connection. I wrongly presumed I would be prompted to enter the admin password if necessary.

I will check the linked tutorial and report on success or failure.

Thank you all!

UPDATE:

Logged-in as admin I could set a metered connection. Logged into my user account, the metered connection is still set to "off." Is the actual setting status simply no visible for the user?

Below screenshot shows user account Network Settings after changing to a metered connection in the admin account. I double-checked the settings in the admin account. It is still set to metered connection.

Setting a metered connection for Ethernet? [​IMG]

battlezone, Feb 26, 2018
  10. Can someone please tell me if my connection is now set to metered, although it still shows greyed out and set to "off" in the user account Network settings?

battlezone, Feb 28, 2018
  11. Yes, I will try the Registry option, but not before I have confirmation that my connections is still not set to "metered." I don't want to confuse myself by doing too many things, especially if I possibly already have achieved what I set out to do.

battlezone, Feb 28, 2018
  12. Bree New Member
    @battlezone, this appear to be a bug in that when greyed out for the standard user it shows as 'off' regardless of the true setting, or it could just be that a standard user doesn't have sufficient rights to find out in that bit the registry.

The simplest way to find out for sure is to check for updates and see what happens. I have set Ethernet as metered in my admin account and, as you say, when I sign into my standard user account it still shows 'Off' in Settings. However, if I then check for updates in the standard user account it shows that it is really set to 'On'.

Edit: I'll have to wait for a new definitions update to be issued before I can test if the same applies to a metered WiFi connection.

I have now tested this for WiFi too. The behaviour is exactly the same. When set to metered by an admin account it is greyed out and shown as 'Off' in a standard account. Checking for updates from a standard account shows that it is actually 'On'.

13. Setting a metered connection for Ethernet?

Thank you. I did expect the true status for the user account o be the same as the one for the admin account.

I will keep an eye on auto-updates happening or not be happening and on update notifications. I presume, with a metered connection, I still get notifications once updates become available?

battlezone, Feb 28, 2018
  14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Correct, you will still be notified about new updates.

Brink, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Setting a metered connection for Ethernet?

1. Setting a metered connection for Ethernet? - Similar Threads - Setting metered connection

2. Unable to set connection as "metered"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to set connection as "metered": Problem: I connect to a WiFi network, then I open connection settings and set the connection to metered. When I go back to connection settings, the metered connection toggle switch is in "off state". The problem isn't specific to a connection, I've tried on multiple...
  3. setting up metered connection

setting up metered connection: I cant turn on metered connection on my windows 10.My laptop is connected to a wifi network. metered connection button is visible i cant turn it on . here is a screenshot attached below. [ATTACH]...
  4. Set metered connection as default?

Set metered connection as default?: Hi! Is there away to set metered connections as the default, rather than having to remember to set each new network as metered? (It seems I use a lot of different networks, and as soon as I connect to one that I have forgotten to set as metered - BAM! Windows wrecks my...
  5. Unable to Set METERED CONNECTION

Unable to Set METERED CONNECTION: Hi, I am using Windows 10 Home insider preview Single Language, with 1803 version, OS Build is 17692.1004 It was updated to this Build on 09/07/2018. After this update I am unable to find an option. I use cellular data which is limited so I always used it as a metered...
  6. Setting ethernet as a metered connection no longer working

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Setting ethernet as a metered connection no longer working: I recently upgraded from v1511 to 1607. It went well. Disappointed to find that many of my personal settings and preferences were reset to defaults. Still working through that nuisance. On 1511 I had set my ethernet connection to be metered as instructed here:...
  7. set metered connection is not activate

set metered connection is not activate: hi i am trying to active set metered connection in my setting , when i active it and leave setting and return it switched to OFF again i tried this way " netsh wlan set profileparameter name=dlink_DWR-932_6789 cost=fixed " and it shows " Profile "dlink_DWR-932_6789"...
  8. windows metered connection ethernet

windows metered connection ethernet: Found some guide online about turning on metered connection on ethernet connection here and its need you to tweak regedit. My Question is, it is safe to do this on ethernet connection because windows 10 only give you this option on wireless connection but since my internet...
  9. need to set Internet to metered connection in W home with ethernet

need to set Internet to metered connection in W home with ethernet: need to set Internet to metered connection in Windows home with ethernet connection. only seems to be an option for WIFI....I don't connect using WIFI but have a metered connection, so can't afford windows to auto download.... is is there a way of doing this ? possibly...
  10. Set Ethernet Connection as Metered or Unmetered in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Set Ethernet Connection as Metered or Unmetered in Windows 10: How to: Set Ethernet Connection as Metered or Unmetered in Windows 10 [img] Information A metered connection is an Internet connection that has a data limit associated with it. Cellular data connections are set as metered by default. Wi-Fi and Ethernet network connections...