Windows 10: setting chrome as default browser in registry

Discus and support setting chrome as default browser in registry in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I have nothing against Internet Explorer but at work I need to be using google chrome because of it extensions. thing is, my workplace has a group... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by dorigoor, Mar 18, 2018.

1. dorigoor Win User

setting chrome as default browser in registry

I have nothing against Internet Explorer but at work I need to be using google chrome because of it extensions.

thing is, my workplace has a group policy on all office computer so that every time a computer is restarted - Internet Explorer is set to be the default browser.
    so if you set a different browser as default - next restart (or shutdown for that matter) - it goes back to be internet explorer.
    so annoying....

I'm trying to make a windows registry edit file that I can put on my desktop and double click it after every restart which is much easier than going to "Default Programs" and re-setting it (believe me, when you do it everyday, the click or two less means a lot)
    or better yet, I can make that registry edit file executed each time windows loads.

can anyone here provide such a file?

:)

dorigoor, Mar 18, 2018
  2. Drithliu Win User

How to set phone feature default browser

Thank you for trying Heather, however, there is no problem with Win 10 Pro and selecting the default browser.

The question I asked is why the default is ignored by the phone feature. In all other regards Chrome behaves normally as the default browser.

My default browser on my Android phone is set to Chrome.

When I share a link to my Win 10 laptop, the Windows Phone Linked to my Android smartphone ignores the default browser setting.

I repeat Chrome behaves as the default in all other circumstances.

This is a Window 10 problem with the phone feature in settings. It has nothing to do with Google.

Can someone point me at the correct section of the registry that holds the phone settings?

Thanks in advance

Drithliu, Mar 18, 2018
  3. KSeg Win User
    Setting Chrome as my default browser - Windows 10

Trying to change my default browser to Chrome, but when I go to select it in Settings the pop up just freezes.

Help.

4. setting chrome as default browser in registry

What you are trying to do is virtually impossible even with admin rights, I have tried many times.
    Besides it is against rules to bypass restrictions, you are only allowed to make changes in HKCU.

I guess, that you are trying to open URLs in Chrome? Since you can easily use Chrome Portable.
    If you are concerned about links from within Windows Mail, MS will solve it in 1803, it will force Edge.

Microsoft wants to force Windows 10 Mail users to use Edge for email links - The Verge

TairikuOkami, Mar 18, 2018
  5. torre Win User
    my workplace has a group policy

Not cool to go against the IT folks should you encounter a virus/malware.

torre, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

setting chrome as default browser in registry

1. setting chrome as default browser in registry - Similar Threads - setting chrome default

2. google chrome as default browser

in Windows 10 Gaming
    google chrome as default browser: Hello!I'm having a strange repeting problem and I don't know what is causing it. I set google chrome as my default browser and yes when I open it, it's chrome that I see. The problem is when I open a new tab: it switches browser for no reasons. I ofter opens bing or yahoo...
  3. google chrome as default browser

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    google chrome as default browser: Hello!I'm having a strange repeting problem and I don't know what is causing it. I set google chrome as my default browser and yes when I open it, it's chrome that I see. The problem is when I open a new tab: it switches browser for no reasons. I ofter opens bing or yahoo...
  4. google chrome as default browser

in Windows 10 Customization
    google chrome as default browser: I have been using Google Chrome as my default browser forever, however now the last few days every time I click on the icon to launch it, it won't open. I have tried everything! I have uninstalled and reinstalled it at least 6x and still nothing has worked.Is or has anyone...
  5. Can't set Google Chrome as default browser

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't set Google Chrome as default browser: Like the title says, I can't set Chrome as my browser. When I go to default apps, Chrome doesn't appear as an option under the browser category. It's also not in the Microsoft app store. I've uninstalled and reinstalled it. Still nothing. I've seen threads on this issue with...
  6. Default Browser Setting

Default Browser Setting: I want my default browser to be Chrome. I change it in settings from Edge to Chrome, then when I re-boot, it goes right back to Edge. How do I make the change permanent?...
  7. set chrome as default browser

set chrome as default browser: how to set chrome as default browser https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/set-chrome-as-default-browser/620d5e83-ab61-4586-93dc-eb5244b96387
  8. set CHROME as my default browser

set CHROME as my default browser: Since, CHROME is not in the MicroSoft "App Store" how do you set CHROME as my default browser? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/set-chrome-as-my-default-browser/f21285f8-fc6b-4e5f-97ef-380d306de7b5
  9. setting registry settings to default

in Cortana
    setting registry settings to default: I downloaded iobit advanced system care and CCleaner to get more storage but it made some changes to the Windows registry due to which, my search bar is displaying correct results. I tried searching for troubleshooting and add or remove a program, but no or incorrect result...
  10. Identification of default browser in registry?

in Browsers and Email
    Identification of default browser in registry?: Is there some place in the registry that identifies the default browser? I've already found HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Clients\StartMenuInternet, but that continues to contain FIREFOX.EXE even after I change the default to Chrome. 95110

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows default browser registry

2. chrome browser and registry

3. registry setting for chrome as default browser