Windows 10: Setting Default App Problem

Discus and support Setting Default App Problem in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I prefer to open pdf files in Acrobat. My computer is determined that I shall not. It will open only in MS Edge. I try to set the Default App by... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by w1ksz, May 27, 2017.

1. w1ksz Win User

Setting Default App Problem

I prefer to open pdf files in Acrobat. My computer is determined that I shall not. It will open only in
    MS Edge.

I try to set the Default App by Type to Acrobat, but even if I select it in the drop down table, it refuses
    to change.

How can I PERMANENTLY set my computer to open pdf files in Acrobat ?

Thanks,

Richard S.

:)

w1ksz, May 27, 2017

2. Default app setting keeps resetting with notification of problem with default app setting

Same here...I started having the problem after the 2/13/16 Windows 10 Update. The App reset continues to repeat non-stop when I play a video file. The message is "An App default was reset". "An app caused a problem with the default app setting for AVI
    files for .MOV files so it was reset to "Movies and TV". It does the same thing for .AVI files.

Solution?

GaryM_2016, May 27, 2017
  3. Default app setting keeps resetting with notification of problem with default app setting

I have the same issue, and it started happening after the most recent (12 Feb 2016) Windows 10 update.

Affects my licensed Creative Cloud apps, Acdsee etc.

DISM tool method described above doesn't seem to do much, neither does manual Default Apps selection - windows keeps complaining and breaking my file associations over and over again.

This is quite annoying, Microsoft. Please fix.

wiewioorek, May 27, 2017
  4. Setting Default App Problem

Have you tried starting Acrobat, selecting a pdf and you should get a dialog box offering to make Adobe the default viewer. It worked for me.

Good luck.

Wiley Coyote, May 27, 2017
  5. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Setting Default App Problem

1. Setting Default App Problem - Similar Threads - Setting Default App

2. Setting a Default App . . .

in Windows 10 Customization
    Setting a Default App . . .: My computer, is a Dell laptop. Running, Windows 10 Pro. The browsers, I have installed are: 1. Internet Explorer 2. Google Chrome 3. Mozilla Firefox 4. Comodo IceDragon Everything, I open. Movies email, etc. Uses, Internet Explorer. I don't even like,...
  3. Default app settings

Default app settings: Hi, Can someone help with the following please? I have Adobe Acrobat Pro DC installed on my computer, which has more features than Acrobat Reader. Every time I start the computer I have to choose this programme as default app for pdf files, and every time I shut down the...
  4. Default Apps settings

Default Apps settings: I was able until recently in Win 10 to send documents from within various Apps (Word, Excel, Acrobat, etc) using the "send Mail" feature incorporated in those Apps. Now I cannot do it and I get an error message telling me that they cannot connect to my mail server. I have...
  5. default apps problem

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    default apps problem: After latest upgrade I can not change any default application. Could you help, please. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/default-apps-problem/b2adf23d-9b82-47d2-91f6-8ab67c816dfb
  6. Problem with default apps

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Problem with default apps: When I change settings of my default apps to preferred one and then restart the system, the preferred disappear and they come to the default settings. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/problem-with-default-apps/ec2e27b3-3480-4e8a-bcdf-02bd28ecc4a3
  7. App caused a problem with the default app settings.

App caused a problem with the default app settings.: After the latest Windows Home update, Windows is giving the message 'An app caused a problem with the default app setting files, so it was reset to Photos. A similar messsage appears for .cr2 files and .NEF files. All of my 'photo' and 'image editing programs are...
  8. default app setting

default app setting: Good day ! I am unable to set Google Chrome as a default browser on my PC with windows 10. Is automatically set to Microsoft Edge and all attempts to change it to other type are in. Please help me to resolve this issue. Regards, J.M.Bhuskute...
  9. Setting defaults by app

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Setting defaults by app: I need help to understand how do set ALL supported file formats to associated app. In Settings > Default Apps > Defaults by app > APP > Manage I get overlong list of file formats, most of them unassociated. I don't find any method how to select them all and assign them to...
  10. Problem with Default apps

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problem with Default apps: Hello again everyone, This is something else I found happening to my PC since the installation of the windows 10 pro (service pack) update. I change all the default apps to apps I prefer to use by selecting them as you would in the defaults app area. I have been using these...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. vivint phone app problems