Windows 10: Setting Default Save Destination for Files to Desktop in Windows 10

Discus and support Setting Default Save Destination for Files to Desktop in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I wish there were some system-wide default. I like to save to Desktop. When you remove or move those folders, Windows asks to save to ThisPC or to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by TairikuOkami, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Setting Default Save Destination for Files to Desktop in Windows 10

When you remove or move those folders, Windows asks to save to ThisPC or to Desktop by default, not sure now, still the Desktop shortcut is close by. You can also setup any startup directory for Windows Explorer, it just has to be named Downloads. I also use the other worthless folders, by changing their locations.

TairikuOkami, Apr 4, 2018
  2. Rayzen Win User

I have looked everywhere to find out how to set the default destination of my files being saved to the desktop, but cannot find it. Everything I've seen, so far, only tells me how to set the default destination to a different drive, but not to my desktop. Maybe it's not possible.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

:)

Rayzen, Apr 20, 2018
  3. Windows 10 Gamebar

I cannot set a saving destination for game bar. Hence it is not opening.I cannot chose the location in setting it is not responding.Is there any other way to choose the destination to save files for windows gamebar?

[Moved from: Windows / Apps on Windows 10 / Xbox on Windows]

jothiram niswandh, Apr 20, 2018
  4. Setting Default Save Destination for Files to Desktop in Windows 10

Ramesh Srinivasan, Apr 20, 2018
  5. tomhollow Win User
    I don't know what programme you are trying to save from, but see if you can select:
    "C:\Users\this is me\Desktop"
    Where "this is me" is what ever user name you are using to log on.

tomhollow, Apr 20, 2018
  6. Plankton Win User
    Are the files that are to be saved; are they being saved from with a browser? If so, then that's a browser setting.

With in windows 10: go to settings>system>storage>.....on the right go to more storage settings>change where new content is saved>....and have a look.

Plankton, Apr 20, 2018
  7. Try3 Win User
    Rayzen,

It depends on each application. Generally, if you save a file to the Desktop then this is the folder its SaveAs routine will open to in the future so it becomes, in effect, a default setting.

I do this for all my applications and do not have any problems doing so.
    - I merely have to avoid navigating to a different folder because doing so would change the 'default' behaviour.
    - Having said that, I have added a shortcut to the Desktop in my File explorer, Quick access group so I can easily get back to it.

Some applications let you go further and specify the Desktop as a proper default folder. MS Office 2007 & MS Office 2016 let you do this

Denis

8. pepanee Win User

Setting Default Save Destination for Files to Desktop in Windows 10

I also believe it depends on the program's default settings that are trying to save files.

For example, I use Google Chrome.
    Look at the address that I have in the Green Box. I have it set to the Desktop.
    I opened a page, right clicked an image, Save As, then the Save As Dialog Box showed me the Desktop.
    I then changed that default location to just: C:\
    I tried to right click on an image > Save As > and the Dialog Box showed me C:\
    I set my Google Chrome settings back to the Desktop.

Setting Default Save Destination for Files to Desktop in Windows 10 [​IMG]

pepanee, Apr 27, 2018
  9. spunk Win User
    If you're talking about saving downloaded files from the internet, then what browser are you using?
    If using Edge, Go to the 3 dots on the Upper Right of the toolbar (ie) Tools, choose Settings, scroll down to View Advanced Settings/ Downloads/Save download files to.. Choose C:\Users\[UserName]\Desktop.

spunk, Apr 27, 2018
  10. I wish there were some system-wide default. I like to save to Desktop.

Documents is worthless.
    Videos is worthless.
    Pictures is worthless.
    Music is worthless.
    Those are (and will remain) forever empty on my computers.

When I create or download something I want to put it HERE, right on my Desktop.
    It may eventually go elsewhere, but certainly not in Documents/Videos/Pictures/Music.

Yet after all these years there's no default in Windows. And, even with quick-view ... I have to scroll up up up up up to find the Desktop icon.

Sux.

margrave55, Apr 27, 2018
Thema:

Setting Default Save Destination for Files to Desktop in Windows 10

1. Setting Default Save Destination for Files to Desktop in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Setting Default Save

2. Remote desktop - Set default settings.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Remote desktop - Set default settings.: Hi there, I click onto an rdp file everyday to remote into my work comouter but have to select certain options each time which is a pain. Is there anyway I can default some boxes to be ticked everytime. The boxes I want ticked/Unticked are:- TICK Use all monitors- TICK Record...
  3. Change default save location to Desktop

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Change default save location to Desktop: For a Windows 10 laptop, is there a way to change the default save location from Onedrive to the PC Desktop? I don’t like to save Word files on the cloud, especially as some documents are sensitive. Every time I click ‘save’ on a new document, I always have to click a few...
  4. Error 0x80070005 when changing default save destinations

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Error 0x80070005 when changing default save destinations: I recently upgraded from windows 10 home to windows 10 pro after doing a clean insall of windows 10 home. It just gives me this error code and says to try again later. I am trying to swich my download for my apps to my hard drive from my ssd drive. Can anyone help?...
  5. How to set default save destination for “microsoft print to pdf”?

How to set default save destination for “microsoft print to pdf”?: How do i set default location everytime print to pdf is clicked? I do not want to have the save as prompt coming up as im trying to automate saving internet explorer webpage using powershell....
  6. WORDPAD for Windows 10 setting AND SAVING as DEFAULTS

in Windows 10 Customization
    WORDPAD for Windows 10 setting AND SAVING as DEFAULTS: I really do not like the SPACING default of "1.15" and change it to 1.0. BUT despite wasting lots of time reading others opinion of how to CHANGE TO DEFAULT, has been a total waste of time. I CAN'T FIND A "SAVE AS DEFAULT of ANY CUSTOMIZATION I TRY TO DO. Question: IS...
  7. Saving file location defaults

Saving file location defaults: So specifically with PDF files. When I do a "save as" or sign with a digital signature, it brings up the explorer window. The explorer window opens to the file location of the last file I saved a PDF in. I would like explorer to default the the folder the file I am working...
  8. Setting default save location?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Setting default save location?: I have a friend who is asking me for some help with her computer. It's a fairly basic issue but I'm afraid I don't know the answer so I thought I'd try here. Some of her programs are saving to OneDrive, otherwise known as The Cloud. She strongly prefers to save to her own...
  9. Recent (Save Files) - Change Default Settings to OneDrive

in Windows 10 Support
    Recent (Save Files) - Change Default Settings to OneDrive: Recent (Save Files) - Change Default Settings I am trying to save my files to OneDrive as a default. It has always worked as my default. For some reason, the default save location is now Recent. Something caused it to change. All default locations settings in Word Options,...
  10. Save Remote Desktop Connection Settings to RDP File in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Save Remote Desktop Connection Settings to RDP File in Windows: How to: Save Remote Desktop Connection Settings to RDP File in Windows Save Remote Desktop Connection Settings to RDP File in Windows [img] Information You can use the Remote Desktop Connection (mstsc.exe) or connect to and control your Windows PC from a remote...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. save as destination

2. save destination in 10

3. windows change save destination desktop

4. how to change save as windows 10 to last destination,
  5. the all save destination,
  6. set file save destination,
  7. document save destination for windows 10,
  8. save document destination in windows 10,
  9. how to save to desktop with edge,
  10. set document save destinations,
  11. save folder destination windows,