Windows 10: Setting File Associations - Another Step Backwards

Discus and support Setting File Associations - Another Step Backwards in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Periodically, I use Control Panel / Default Programs / Associate a file type ... to go through my file extensions and check the correct program is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Steve C, Feb 23, 2018.

1. Steve C Win User

Setting File Associations - Another Step Backwards

Periodically, I use Control Panel / Default Programs / Associate a file type ... to go through my file extensions and check the correct program is assigned. You used to be able to click on the right column to sort the program names and easily see all of the unassigned files types together. The latest build just shows a fixed list in the Settings menu designed for idiots. When did this this change occur since I haven't checked for a while? Is there a way of reinstating the old display format which was far more useful?

:)

Steve C, Feb 23, 2018

2. Always Ask Before Opening an image!!

Nope, It did not help.

The Photos app is not the problem, because even when I select another photo viewer app, its the same result.

Mohammad Jalili, Feb 23, 2018
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Always Ask Before Opening an image!!

WOW, that is a step backwards, in terms of setting defaults . . .

What might work is resetting the Photos App - that might automatically set the file associations . . .

In the Settings App, go to Apps

Select Photos in the list of installed apps and click 'Advanced Options'

Click Reset and confirm the Reset

DaveM121, Feb 23, 2018
  4. EdTittel Win User

Gadzooks! You're absolutely correct. I can't find a way to work around this, either. Perhaps one of the customization guys knows a trick here? @Brink @Edwin
    I'd be interested to learn if there's a tool or utillity available that can still do what Windows apparently no longer do as well itself.
    --Ed--

PS: I found a utility at TheWindowsClub called File Association Fixer v 2.0 that looks like it might do what you want. Check it out, and see what you think...

EdTittel, Feb 23, 2018
  5. dalchina New Member
    If you use Nirsoft's FileTypesMan (free) and click on column heading Type Name it seems (near enough) to sort them into the order you want.

Setting File Associations - Another Step Backwards [​IMG]

Not sure how helpful that really is.

(Note- in the above, e.g. iso files open in explorer; there's no specific association. Interestingly I couldn't seem to find iso in Settings, Choose default applications by file type....)

dalchina, Feb 23, 2018
  6. Steve C Win User
    I fixed it! Google is your friend. Create the following shortcuts and the previous more useful functionality is restored.

"Set your default programs": control /name Microsoft.DefaultPrograms /page pageDefaultProgram
    "Associate a file type or protocol with a program": control /name Microsoft.DefaultPrograms /page pageFileAssoc

These commands are on the forum here but I found them elsewhere List of Commands to Open Control Panel Items in Windows 10

Steve C, Feb 23, 2018
  7. dalchina New Member
    You probably need to go here in the Control Panel:

- nothing to fix?

Thus e.g:

dalchina, Feb 23, 2018
  8. Steve C Win User

That's what I'm doing but the latest build takes you to the settings menu.See my Post 2 for a fix which I posted the same time as yours.

Steve C, Feb 23, 2018
  9. dalchina New Member
    I'm using 16299.248 - which is yours?

A shortcut would be handy if you use it frequently, so useful find.

dalchina, Feb 23, 2018
  10. Edwin New Member
    I get to the proper window but it won't load.

Edwin, Feb 23, 2018
  11. EdTittel Win User
    Thanks for the great follow-up, guys. Dalchina: you and I seem to take turns recommending Nir Sofer's always great tools. I'm also glad the OP found a command line/command method to access "the right stuff."
    --Ed--

PS: Brink also points out the following

EdTittel, Feb 23, 2018
  12. dalchina New Member
    *cry*cry Does the equivalent (approx) Settings page open ok?

dalchina, Feb 23, 2018
  13. Edwin New Member

Yeah, but I miss this page:

Edwin, Feb 23, 2018
  14. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Feb 23, 2018
  15. Edwin New Member
    Edwin, Feb 23, 2018
Thema:

1. Setting File Associations - Another Step Backwards - Similar Threads - Setting File Associations

2. Another step backwards with Explorer and Taskbar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Another step backwards with Explorer and Taskbar: With Windows 11 it always seems to be 1 step forwards, 3 steps backwards. Why do "updates" actually cause more problems than they solve? Windows Explorer is still in a state of catalepsy since last year and the Taskbar icons which were "disappeared" in January have still not...
  3. Another step backwards with Explorer and Taskbar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Another step backwards with Explorer and Taskbar: With Windows 11 it always seems to be 1 step forwards, 3 steps backwards. Why do "updates" actually cause more problems than they solve? Windows Explorer is still in a state of catalepsy since last year and the Taskbar icons which were "disappeared" in January have still not...
  4. Setting up a shared drive - step by step

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Setting up a shared drive - step by step: Can anyone please help with this? :) Which order should the blocks be in? 164779
  5. Setting up a shared drive - step by step

in Windows 10 Support
    Setting up a shared drive - step by step: Can anyone please help with this? :) Which order should the blocks be in? 164779
  6. File Association Settings in Windows 10

File Association Settings in Windows 10: I have recent installed Lotus SmartSuite to my Windows 10 64 bit PC, as I have large numbers of old delivery dockets, created using Lotus WordPro years ago, that I need to access occasionally, when dealing with warranty claims & service matters. WordPro works perfectly....
  7. Can't set file association for php files

Can't set file association for php files: Using Windows 10, I want to set a file association for php files to a particular application, but when I do it is not stored. Example 1: In File Explorer I right click on the file and choose "Open with". I select the application I want to use and make sure that the "Always...
  8. Set file association for .NEF files

Set file association for .NEF files: I have Photoshop CS4 along with Camera Raw installed as well as Adobe Acrobat 9.5. Everytime I try to open a .NEF file Windows tries to open it in Acrobat 9.5. Naturally it cannot. When I go to the file associations Photoshop CS4 is not an option. Can anyone help me associate...
  9. Set File Association with .reg File

Set File Association with .reg File: Hi, i have a problem with File Associations in Windows (Build 1607). I want to set a File Association for .pdf so that i can start .pdf files with Adobe Acrobat Reader DC and not with Microsoft Edge (default). It is possible if i change it over System -> Default Apps...
  10. The W10 update process is a big step backwards

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    The W10 update process is a big step backwards: Maybe it is only me, but I have difficulties with this new update process. First they took it out of Control panel and made it only available in settings (although you can get it back in control panel by manipulating HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/WindowsUpdate/UX)...