Windows 10: Setting File Explorer columns - and KEEPING them

Discus and support Setting File Explorer columns - and KEEPING them in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Having set Win 10 columns (types and positions) I’ve several times used the option to apply this to ALL. But this never seems to survive, even within a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Terrypin, Oct 28, 2017.

1. Terrypin Win User

Setting File Explorer columns - and KEEPING them

Having set Win 10 columns (types and positions) I’ve several times used the option to apply this to ALL. But this never seems to survive, even within a session (i.e. before a reboot). Is there a registry hack or a freeware tool that can achieve this reliably please? And can this work for all file browser dialogues as well as File Explorer folders?

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

:)

Terrypin, Oct 28, 2017

2. File Explorer Column Headings Keep Resetting

Yes, that's the first method. However, you can also see this
    link
    on how to change the column settings in Windows Explorer.

Keep us informed for further assistance.

Joseph Ban, Oct 28, 2017
  3. File Explorer has gone crazy after last nights upgrade.

My only has icons instead of full descriptions. I can not get back to a point where I have tabs that actually say something. Please tell me how to get my view repaired? help... Help.... HELP!!!

File Explorer, Oct 28, 2017
  4. Terrypin Win User

After a tip elsewhere I found a string "BagMRU Size" at:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local>Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags\AllFolders\S hell

It had no value assigned. I optimistically modified it to 10000 and that seems to have worked.
    Setting File Explorer columns - and KEEPING them [​IMG]

My setting is now appearing on all half dozen or so 'similar' folders.

Anyone have any ideas as to how that (rather important?) registry setting can have been created with no value assigned?

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Terrypin, Oct 28, 2017
  5. Callender Win User
    if you have automatic folder type discovery enabled windows can determine it's own folder view settings based on folder content (as far as I know)

I keep it disabled and apply general template to all folders and subfolders but that's my personal preference. See note under Option 3 here;

Change Folder Template in Windows 10 Customization Tutorials

Callender, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Setting File Explorer columns - and KEEPING them - Similar Threads - Setting File Explorer

2. File explorer - Set the top columns ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File explorer - Set the top columns ?: Please don't tell me to open folder properties and View tab / Apply to all folders, because this does "not" work. Ms default setting is to have the columns at the top Name Date Type Size, etc.Some of my files have long names, and I need to be able to see the full name, so I...
  3. File explorer - Set the top columns ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File explorer - Set the top columns ?: Please don't tell me to open folder properties and View tab / Apply to all folders, because this does "not" work. Ms default setting is to have the columns at the top Name Date Type Size, etc.Some of my files have long names, and I need to be able to see the full name, so I...
  4. File Explorer Tags column

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer Tags column: Hello How do I get PDF tags to show in the File Explorer Tags column? please see image below.Thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-tags-column/20e8c79b-6499-4e5e-bf02-3247f28ab7c9
  5. File Explorer Ratings Column

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer Ratings Column: 1. How do I unrate a file. There is no 0 star option?2. How to rate folders? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-ratings-column/d01892b5-44d6-4b09-840e-bcdac7dbe284
  6. File Explorer Ratings Column

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer Ratings Column: 1. How do I unrate a file. There is no 0 star option?2. How to rate folders? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-ratings-column/d01892b5-44d6-4b09-840e-bcdac7dbe284
  7. Setting default columns size in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Customization
    Setting default columns size in File Explorer: Since I have read this forum about so many people asking how to apply settings for a default column size in File Explorer, I thought I would answer it since no one here at Microsoft correctly identified it. Even though they did give you their best answer - it is rather quite...
  8. file explorer columns

file explorer columns: The problem is since update to version 1909 the bit rate is not showing in file explorer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-columns/a243c5e2-ac14-4cae-b62e-895a75d97cae
  9. "Status" column in File Explorer

"Status" column in File Explorer: What is the signification of the symbols which appear in the "Status" column in File Explorer e.g. a OneDrive type "cloud", a green circle enclosing a tick etc?...
  10. File Explorer Column Headings

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Column Headings: Hello, Each time I make a new folder to store there some media files such as music or video, imediantly the column headings (automaticaly) are (except the name), as follows: # , Title, Contributing Artists, Album. So I have to click on each heading to change it (except...