Windows 10: setting for default action when replacing file

Discus and support setting for default action when replacing file in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Is there a windows 10 setting that changes the default action when a file by the same name replaces it? Currently my PC appends (1) or (2) etc which... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by rtischer8277, Dec 16, 2017.

1. setting for default action when replacing file

Is there a windows 10 setting that changes the default action when a file by the same name replaces it? Currently my PC appends (1) or (2) etc which causes me to have to do a lot of extra steps.

:)

rtischer8277, Dec 16, 2017
  2. Mattew24 Win User

Change the default action for .reg files

In Windows 10 when you right click on a ".reg" (registry) file the default action is "Merge" (in bold).

I would like to set "Edit" as the default action because in my opinion I brelieve that it's more safe.

In Windows XP I've used with success these keys:

1) set "Edit" as the default action

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\regfile\shell]

""="edit"

2) restore "Merge" as the default action

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\regfile\shell]

@=""

but I think that this method doesn't work in Windows 10.

Some help?

Mattew24, Dec 16, 2017
  3. Windows 10 / Surface Pro 4 default DVD app and Autoplay problem using VLC

I'm running a Surface Pro 4 with an external Samsung USB DVD drive. I've installed VLC from the Windows Store so I can watch DVD films.

From settings > system > default apps > set defaults by app I've set VLC as the default app for all associated file types.

However when I select Autoplay in File Explorer for the drive I'm presented with the option to 'Find a new DVD app' or 'Take no action'. If I select 'Find a new DVD app' I'm taken to the Store where VLC is recommended and shown as installed. In Control
    Panel > Autoplay I've tried to change the action for DVD movie but the four options are 'Find a new DVD app', 'Take no action', 'Open folder to view files' and 'ask me everytime'.

How can I set VLC as the default action?

Tommy.Pro4, Dec 16, 2017
  4. spunk Win User

setting for default action when replacing file

When you copy a file to a location with the same file name A dialog box listing duplicate file names will appear asking you if you want to save the existing file or the newer one. If you select both files (existing + new one), windows will save both by adding a suffix number to the newer file.

spunk, Dec 17, 2017
  5. f14tomcat Win User
    What @spunk posted is correct. However, @rtischer8277, what you posted looks like what happens when you download a file (app, song, pic, etc.) to your default Download folder (usually C:\Users\{user name}\Downloads) and that file already exists. The system will append (1), (2), (3) to distinguish it from the original or any other duplicates. I don't know of any way to change that behavior, perhaps someone else does.

f14tomcat, Dec 17, 2017
  6. Actually, the appending behavior occurs regardless of which directory the file lands in. Perhaps this is a new "feature". The old behavior let you decide and was customary for any SaveAs action. I know that the behavior is customizable when programming the SaveAs feature, so why can't it be set using the GUI?

rtischer8277, Dec 17, 2017
  7. f14tomcat Win User
    No idea. Can't find a way to do that.

f14tomcat, Dec 17, 2017
  8. lx07 Win User

lx07, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. setting for default action when replacing file - Similar Threads - setting default action

2. Default action for basic image files is print.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Default action for basic image files is print.: I just noticed this problem when I upgraded to windows 11. When I search for a specific image using the windows key, and hit enter, it goes to "print pictures," but I just want it to open with photos. I right clicked the image files and saw that print was at the top in bold....
  3. Default action for basic image files is print.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Default action for basic image files is print.: I just noticed this problem when I upgraded to windows 11. When I search for a specific image using the windows key, and hit enter, it goes to "print pictures," but I just want it to open with photos. I right clicked the image files and saw that print was at the top in bold....
  4. Copy and Replace Default

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Copy and Replace Default: I need to replace files from my old computer to new with Windows 11 and it just makes a copy. How do I change it so it asks me if I want to replace the file? Thanks...
  5. Copy and Replace Default

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Copy and Replace Default: I need to replace files from my old computer to new with Windows 11 and it just makes a copy. How do I change it so it asks me if I want to replace the file? Thanks...
  6. Change default action when connecting a USB

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Change default action when connecting a USB: when you put a usb stick example in outlet you get a black box up asking what you want to do with this device. How can you change your choice to something else[Original Title: usb]...
  7. Setting the action when lid is closed

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Setting the action when lid is closed: Is it possible to set this action to shut down, sleep or hibernate the computer? What is the effect on battery life of sleep or hibernate? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/setting-the-action-when-lid-is-closed/7841bd04-51d2-4421-93bc-0bb887938c54
  8. Default Actions

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Default Actions: How can I change the default actions taken when plugging in USB devices? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/default-actions/d26e20ea-7007-4296-9813-32faca0edb64
  9. Setting Defaults by App or File

in Windows 10 Customization
    Setting Defaults by App or File: I recently bought a new 1Tb SSD drive to use as my system drive, I have been trying to associate opening of xml files in either Notepad++ or Sublime Text 3 I have seen many "Solutions" through Google however none seem to work for me. The "Set defaults by app" doesn't show...
  10. Replace delete action

in Windows 10 Customization
    Replace delete action: Greetings, is there any way to replace the default action performed when i press the del key (or rightclick > delete) within Explorer process? (maybe via registry edit?) Like instead of moving to recycle bin i whish to call an executable with that particular file as...