Windows 10: Setting the location for application data

Discus and support Setting the location for application data in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Does anyone here know where/how you can set the location for an applications data? I'm in the process of tidying up the "My documents" folder on my PC... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Teflon, May 29, 2018.

1. Teflon Win User

Setting the location for application data

Does anyone here know where/how you can set the location for an applications data? I'm in the process of tidying up the "My documents" folder on my PC and for some strange reason, along with all my documents, there are a number of folders belonging to applications installed on the pc. These include folders for Adobe, Rock Star games, Tomb Raider, etc, etc. The folders are auto generated by their application: if I delete the Tomb Raider folder, it reappears in the same location as soon as I run the game.

Presumably there is a setting somewhere that dictates the location of these files? I would have thought that they would more properly belong somewhere like C:\User\appdata\.... or similar, and can only imagine that, at some point in the past, I changed something that has resulted in them currently residing in my documents library.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Cliff

:)

Teflon, May 29, 2018

2. Cortana and Location Settings

Hi,

I realize the inconvenience you are facing. Let me help you in resolving the issue.

This issue may occur if location settings are not turned on for Cortana.

To turn on location settings for cortana, I suggest you to try these steps and check if it helps.

• Click on Start Button and type Location in the search.

• Open Location Privacy Settings.

• Under the option "choose apps that can use your location" check if Cortana is turned on.

• If not turn on and check if it helps.
    Also suggest you to check if similar issue persists on another user account.

Create another administrator user account by referring to

Set up accounts
    on Windows 10 article.

The corrupted user profile does not function normally such as not launching
    Start menu, Cortana, Search bar, Store and other
    Windows applications. In such cases creating a new profile and checking for the same will help in identifying if the is specific to corrupted user profile or the OS.

Write to us with the status of the issue on the same post for further assistance.
    Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Nachappa C K, May 29, 2018
  3. Kem Mon Win User
    Unable to turn on the Location from the Location Settings.

Hi Rafiul,

It is possible that the
    GPS chipset
    is not working properly causing your location settings to be
    disabled or cannot be turned on. Kindly run the
    Hardware and Device Troubleshooter
    and check if there's any changes. To run the
    troubleshooter, follow these steps:

• On the search bar, type
      Troubleshooting
      and hit
      Enter.

• Choose
      Hardware and Sound.

• Click on the
      Hardware and Devices
      to run the
      Troubleshooter.

If the issue
    persists, we suggest that you contact your
    computer/laptop's manufacturer
    for further assistance.

Update us on how it goes.

Regards.

Kem Mon, May 29, 2018
Thema:

Setting the location for application data

1. Setting the location for application data - Similar Threads - Setting location application

2. Promote Application Data

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Promote Application Data: What is this folder for? When I opened it, all I found was a string of characters. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/promote-application-data/9146ae25-9542-4407-b485-16a3dfef48f0
  3. Promote Application Data

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Promote Application Data: What is this folder for? When I opened it, all I found was a string of characters. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/promote-application-data/9146ae25-9542-4407-b485-16a3dfef48f0
  4. application error at location

in Windows 10 Gaming
    application error at location: application error 0x00000000770E3A2 site: 0xc06d00e https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/application-error-at-location/4a020659-dcc4-4f26-af70-c3f299c846f4
  5. application error at location

application error at location: application error 0x00000000770E3A2 site: 0xc06d00e https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/application-error-at-location/4a020659-dcc4-4f26-af70-c3f299c846f4
  6. application error at location

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Photos Application settings location ...

Photos Application settings location ...: Hi everyone! I would like to know where a list of all of the photos/videos that are added to an Album in the Photos application are stored on my PC. For example - Album Name - Holiday 2020 Contains - Photo1, Photo2 and Video 1 This is so I can copy the relevant...
  8. Thunderbird data location

in Browsers and Email
    Thunderbird data location: I am new to Mozilla Thunderbird and need (want) to know where TBird keeps its messages, address book, calendar and the like. All under W10 ver 1909. Thank you. 161064
  9. transfer all settings, data and applications

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    transfer all settings, data and applications: Hi. As most old men, I lost my PC, I installed win 10 home edition N by mistake, When I tried to activate windows I could not because my key is for home edition "without N", then I installed and activated correct one on PC. Now I need : 1- transfer all settings, data and...
  10. Application Data permissions

in Windows 10 Support
    Application Data permissions: I was trying to look at C:\ProgramData\Application Data but got an "access is denied" exception. So I right-clicked and opened Application Data Properties/Security and tried to change the Administrator permissions, but after I checked the box for full permissions and then...