Windows 10: Setting up a Data Drive D:/ - some queries

Discus and support Setting up a Data Drive D:/ - some queries in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I have a new computer. It came pre-configured with an SSD drive C:/ and a larger hard disk for data D:/ However, the usual programs were... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Squibbler, Apr 29, 2017.

1. Squibbler Win User

Setting up a Data Drive D:/ - some queries

Hi,

I have a new computer. It came pre-configured with an SSD drive C:/ and a larger hard disk for data D:/

However, the usual programs were still all pointed at C:/ for documents. I have successfully changed them and moved my documents directory and all the others to a DATA folder on D:/ and everything works, but am now left with a user directory in c:/ which no doubt contains hidden files and also contains a visible folder called "roaming".

There doesn't seem to be a "location" in folder properties associated with "roaming" to change so I have left it there untouched. I have also read that you cannot move a complete user profile folder up on drive D:/ (or even set one up on that drive easily and can only move the doc folders etc like I have done. is this correct?

So this brings me to backups. When I backup my data, do I need to back up the c:/ user profile as well?

Would appreciate some help with how to set this up correctly. Many thanks

:)

Squibbler, Apr 29, 2017

2. How can I reset Windows 10 File History settings. It will not backup my second drive.

I am using Windows 10 File History Backup to backup my files to a network drive. I have a C:\ and D:\ drive. The majority of my data is on the D:\ drive.

All was working well - backing up the data directories on both my C:\ and D:\ drive.

I went to add some new directories on the D:\ drive to the backup set. I inadvertently added the entire D:\ drive. So, I removed the drive from the backup set. Now it will not backup any directories on the D:\ drive. I deleted and re-added the directories.
    No luck.

Is there anyway to completely reset the File History Backup settings?

LaVentanaW84Wind, Apr 29, 2017
  3. Williamzm Win User
    How can I reset Windows 10 File History settings. It will not backup my second drive.

I am having the same problem as LaVentanaW84Wind??? In simple terms How do I solve this problem? Where do I go on my computer and what do I click on to solve this problem?

Williamzm, Apr 29, 2017
  4. Squibbler Win User

I hate user profiles. When you don't need different ones and only have 1 computer user, they are a pain in the neck!

Squibbler, Apr 29, 2017
  5. cereberus Win User
    You will not need to backup that C drive just to backup data on D drive. However, you should make an image backup of the C drive anyway.

cereberus, Apr 29, 2017
  6. Squibbler Win User
    Thanks - yes I was going to do that too, but less often. I was reading system image of c:/ is good and then data more regularly.

So am I right about the fact you cannot put the entire user profile directories straight on D:/ ? You have to have this stupid mostly empty folder on c:/ ?

What about the "Roaming" folder ? Should I move that or leave it there?

Squibbler, Apr 29, 2017
  7. Squibbler Win User
    These are the ones I moved... are they all okay to be on D:/ ? Just wanted to check!

Setting up a Data Drive D:/ - some queries [​IMG]

Squibbler, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Setting up a Data Drive D:/ - some queries - Similar Threads - Setting Data Drive

2. Data Drive D not accessible

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Data Drive D not accessible: This morning I restarted my computer to install the latest batch of windows updates. Some time after the computer restarted a message appeared in the lower-right corner of the screen. It disappeared too quickly for me to read all of it, but I did catch the word SATA and...
  3. Data Drive D not accessible

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Data Drive D not accessible: This morning I restarted my computer to install the latest batch of windows updates. Some time after the computer restarted a message appeared in the lower-right corner of the screen. It disappeared too quickly for me to read all of it, but I did catch the word SATA and...
  4. Data Drive D not accessible

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. What is the use of the Data D: drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What is the use of the Data D: drive?: What is the use of the Data D: drive? My Windows C drive is now 9,49 GB free of 119GB and its red and I am worried about this as it keeps on changing to the lowest figure of 7,20 GB and yet my Data D is 340 GB free of 341 GB. Please assist in this regard. Thank you....
  6. Drive D data lost

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Drive D data lost: Hello there, about month ago I installed Win11 and lost my data from drive D. went to Best buy the installed Win 10 and were not able to recover data. Please find me a best solution. there was my studying file some much important files. please any solution windows????...
  7. Drive D data lost

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Drive D data lost: Hello there, about month ago I installed Win11 and lost my data from drive D. went to Best buy the installed Win 10 and were not able to recover data. Please find me a best solution. there was my studying file some much important files. please any solution windows????...
  8. Data D Drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Data D Drive: My computer has relatively low storage space. My computer shows me that under "storage on other devices" an internal drive has 920 GB of storage. I am trying to move Steam apps to this drive but I have no way of doing this. I have no way to send the applications to the other...
  9. What is this Data (D:) drive showing up on my laptop?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What is this Data (D:) drive showing up on my laptop?: As far as I know, I only have one drive installed on my laptop. I bought it brand new and it has another slot open which I have plans to add another M.2 in the future. The laptop I have is the MSI GS65, fyi. Recently I noticed that I'm about to run out of space on my main...
  10. Some file and folder in Data: D lost

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Some file and folder in Data: D lost: Some files and folder in my Driver (D) are lost after i turn off my laptop, this never happen before is there any way i can recover it? Windows version 10...