Windows 10: Setting up a network with different Operating systems

Discus and support Setting up a network with different Operating systems in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I need to set up a very small network with computers using older versions of Windows so I don't want to use homegroups. I believe I did set up a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jonobugs, Dec 11, 2016.

1. jonobugs Win User

Setting up a network with different Operating systems

I need to set up a very small network with computers using older versions of Windows so I don't want to use homegroups. I believe I did set up a Workgroup network (which is the default name) which is fine and all the computers can see each other, but I haven't figured out how to allow the computers to share files, etc.

If you click on a computer with Windows 10, it asks for a name and password.

Do I need to create a user account on each computer? If so, is it possible to setup a generic name such as <companynameEmployee> for everyone? Kind of like using <guest>. This is a private network and only about 5 computers.

I'm just not sure about the exact procedure to create a name, etc. as I'm not a computer guru, but I do know how to get into the user account, etc.

I want to be able to give read/write privileges as well, not just read.

Thanks for any help!

:)

jonobugs, Dec 11, 2016

2. Apps from different operating systems look different across different screen resolutions

Original title: Apps, and Program window size

Programs I install such as Quicken, PowerDVD, and similar the windows (for Windows 8) are very small, and the text even smaller. Normally this is easily remedied by changing the screen resolution from 3840 x 2160 to a lower resolution such as 1920 x 1440.
    Unfortunately this causes problems for windows 10 apps.

How can I adjust resolution compatibility with apps that are for Windows 7, and 8?

Hassan Elhassan, Dec 11, 2016
  3. Jessen P Win User
    Apps from different operating systems look different across different screen resolutions

Hi Hassan,

Since apps made for Windows 7 and Windows 8 would look good in some resolution, the apps for Windows 10 will appear properly in some resolution.

I would request you to install the up to date graphics card driver and then check if you find issues in the appearance of apps across different apps.

Thank you.

Jessen P, Dec 11, 2016
  4. Samuria Win User

By default Windows pass's current login details to the PC your trying to login with so if you have the same username password then it's simple. Depending on how many PCs installing a server means yu can grant access to any pc the simple way is to save all files on just one pc so you only have to connect to one pc this lets you backup files as well. Another way is to create a very simple and file to map a drive and pass username and password so you then just click on it to connect

Samuria, Dec 11, 2016
  5. bro67 Win User
    A LAN does not care what Operating System that you are using. A OS has zero effect on how the Router/Gateway handles traffic across the LAN or out the WAN interface to the Internet.

Local accounts are still available on Windows 10. Homegroups have been around for quite a while and all that they are doing is sharing "Libraries", which are basically shortcuts to folders with a key to connect to them. Has zero effect again how a LAN works.

bro67, Dec 11, 2016
  6. jonobugs Win User
    Thanks for the information. I had read that older systems (XP) are unable to network with the homegroup option and when I tried to make a homegroup, none of the computers could see the homegroup even though all the computers were off when the group was created.

jonobugs, Dec 12, 2016
  7. bro67 Win User
    Homegroup is a big failure on behalf in Microsoft's fault. On a normal network setup, no one uses it, because it is too restrictive and if something happens, you end up with having to go to each machine and removing the Homegroup information that is retained by the registry.

bro67, Dec 12, 2016
  8. jonobugs Win User

Okay, so I managed to network all the systems using Windows 10, but there is still one laptop that is stubborn (which is using Windows 7). Although all the computers can see this laptop, the laptop comes up with an error message when you click on the network icon in the file folder. I'm not sure why this is happening.

Unfortunately, I'm not really able to understand what the error message says because it's in Japanese and my boss doesn't understand the Japanese meaning (although he is Japanese, he doeesn't understand tech stuff all that well) in order to translate it for me. I mean, what he says is not understandable.

Just to be clear, I'm NOT tech support! I am just the 'guy' in the office who gets the computer things running while I'm doing my real job.

jonobugs, Dec 13, 2016
  9. bro67 Win User
    Have your boss translate the message for you. If he could at least do that part, you could understand what the issue is. There are phone app's that can translate from a photo. The biggest mistake you made was being the Computer Girl Friday. Never let on to the bosses that you know about computers. If they do not pay you extra for doing computer problems, then the boss needs to either pay for you to take a second language course or hire someone who understands the Asian Language that is being used on his computer.

bro67, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Setting up a network with different Operating systems - Similar Threads - Setting network different

2. Difference between system software and operating system software

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Difference between system software and operating system software: What distinguishes system software from operating system software? * Moved from Community Participation Center https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/difference-between-system-software-and-operating/273dd2c1-9bd0-4ad2-9afb-f30adbc354ff
  3. Difference between system software and operating system software

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Difference between system software and operating system software: What distinguishes system software from operating system software? * Moved from Community Participation Center https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/difference-between-system-software-and-operating/273dd2c1-9bd0-4ad2-9afb-f30adbc354ff
  4. Differences in Operating System

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Differences in Operating System: Hi Support,I want to know the differences in operating systemWe are Small Medium Business and whether we can use Windows 10 Home instead of Windows 10 Professional Operating system?What are the differences in Windows 10 Home & Windows 10 professional Operating system.Looking...
  5. Differences in Operating System

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Differences in Operating System: Hi Support,I want to know the differences in operating systemWe are Small Medium Business and whether we can use Windows 10 Home instead of Windows 10 Professional Operating system?What are the differences in Windows 10 Home & Windows 10 professional Operating system.Looking...
  6. Differences in Operating System

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. My Operating Systems Use Different Drive Letters

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My Operating Systems Use Different Drive Letters: I reinstalled both of my operating systems, both on separate SSDs. Western Digital Blue, 250GB. What one calls C drive the other calls D drive and vice versa. I don't know if this is a great problem, but there seems no way to change my C drives to D or voce versa....
  8. two operating systems on start up

in Windows 10 Customization
    two operating systems on start up: Disc manager will not let me remove any or adjust any except the one I use! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/two-operating-systems-on-start-up/6aeec18f-a519-44d5-a633-0d9187fd6ab6
  9. Tranfer files and system set up from an old computer with the same operating system and...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Tranfer files and system set up from an old computer with the same operating system and...: Good day, So we have a new HP all in One that is for the company. We also have an old system which is similar. Both systems have the Windows 10 Home on them. We are trying to eliminate hiring an outside person to come in and set up the system. Can we just simply...
  10. 2 different operating systems

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    2 different operating systems: I currently have Windows 10 - However, I have WD passport external drives that do not run on 10, Can I download XP without causing problems???? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/2-different-operating-systems/a1b4f068-bdc8-4203-ae3a-35c3e6e17f39