Windows 10: Setting Up a Second Router as a Repeater/Range Extender/Bridge

Discus and support Setting Up a Second Router as a Repeater/Range Extender/Bridge in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am quite a distance from the modem/router (several acres property) and must use a Range Extender/Repeater. Insider Build 16215 has knocked my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Wynona, Jun 9, 2017.

1. Wynona Win User

Setting Up a Second Router as a Repeater/Range Extender/Bridge

I am quite a distance from the modem/router (several acres property) and must use a Range Extender/Repeater.

Insider Build 16215 has knocked my WiFi into the next county, it seems and I find I must hard wire my computer to the router or Range Extender if I want Internet. Of course, the Range Extender (NetGear Nighthawk AC1900) is three rooms away from my computer equipment. Sigh . . .

I've had several suggestions over in the Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16215 PC + 15222 Mobile Forum, and thought it would be best to move this particular thread over here where it belongs rather than take up Insider Preview space.

One question I have is, "What is the difference between Range Extender, Repeater, Bridge, Electrical Extender, etc.

I've had suggestions for setting these up, but need to do more research and talking about it.

:)

Wynona, Jun 9, 2017

2. Wifi Adapters and Homegroup in windows 10

Thanks for that. I have tried the forum before but found no similar posts. As i'm not an xfinity customer I cannot post. However, it appears that the comfast repeater cannot be set up in bridge mode. So its creating a second LAN which is in conflict
    with my existing LAN.

The Comfast repeaters appear to be only suitable to extending internet access.

I've already given up using a second Billion router to extend my wifi range and will take a look at Internet over power supply.

Thanks for all the assist.

regards

Erick

ErickTreetops, Jun 9, 2017
  3. CEGates Win User
    Home WiFi connectivity

In my home I have a router provided by Dish and two daisy chained range extenders. I have my router at one end of my home and three Nest cameras located at the other end of my home. Till the signal gets from my cameras to the router the signal is very week
    and the camera signal drops out frequently. Hence the two range extenders are used to keep the signal up to acceptable limits. I have one range extender within about 20 feet of the camera yet the signal bypasses the range extenders and continues to go to the
    router. Any ideas on what I can do to make the cameras see the range extenders? My setup is as follows:

1 = Router

2 = TP-Link Model RE355

3 = LINKSYS Model N600 Pro

Cameras are Nest indoor

In a related issue, I have a wireless printer connected to my router. If my laptop, cell phone etc. is connected to the router it prints fine. On the other hand if my laptop or cell phone is connected to 2 or 3 my laptop or cell phone can't
    print to the printer because it can't see it. I read something about "Bridging" but I have no idea of what that is or how to do it. Any ideas?

CEGates, Jun 9, 2017
  4. AndreTen Win User

Good move, your drag us here, Wynona.

Some of the above phrases are the same, just from different communities, and some are really different.

Range Extender/ repeater is what you have now: new device is taking input from Main router and extend signal further. You can also connect devices to its Ethernet ports...

Bridge is basically the same, but usually describe two devices, that doesn't allow ordinary Wifi users to connect.

Media bridge is usually used to describe wifi device with Ethernet ports, that connects to wifi and is serving devices via Ethernet ports ..

Most of the routers can be set to any mode described above.

Notice "usually" in descriptions above, since different manufacturers use different names for same functionality - this just to confuse intelligent users...

AndreTen, Jun 9, 2017
  5. Fafhrd Win User
    How to create a Network Bridge on Windows 10

• Use the Windows key + X to open the Power User menu and select Network Connections, Ethernet, Network and Sharing Center,Change adapter settings
    • Select both, the WiFi network adapter that connects to the internet and the Ethernet adapter you want to use in the bridge connection.
    • Right-click the selection and click Bridge Connections.

There may be more, working from memory, since I am on HP laptop with 16215, connected by ethernet, and WiFi adapter is not working of course!

Fafhrd, Jun 9, 2017
  6. AndreTen Win User
    There is more...
    Why not just use repeater / extender mode instead of media bridge mode (without serving original wifi signal) - extender mode basically cuts throughput in half for other users. So if you put another extender in your network (and you already have one), network speed would be 1/4 or 1/3rd of the original one, depending on how they are connected.

Other users will describe this in more professional way...

AndreTen, Jun 9, 2017
  7. badrobot Win User
    Just bear in mind that any of the above will not improve your speed and connection stability as it is still wireless (between your house and your daughter's). In fact, it may slow you down further. What you are trying to achieve here is just to trick your PC that you are using wired connection as wireless seem to pose some problems with some Insider updates.

badrobot, Jun 9, 2017
  8. AndreTen Win User

I have to disagree with you about this one badrobot. I was connected via wireless bridge with second house for years. It is far more stable than individual connections via wifi adapters.

And speed is usually not an issue any more, since wireless can go to several hundred Mbps without any hiccups. ISP is bottleneck here.

AndreTen, Jun 9, 2017
  9. Wynona Win User
    I'm reading and absorbing, guys. Thanks to you all . . .

Wynona, Jun 9, 2017
  10. Fafhrd Win User
    You have various options, Wynona - you could make comparisons regarding workability, speed and stability afterwards, if you wish.

Fafhrd, Jun 9, 2017
  11. badrobot Win User
    Yes you can disagree. But that doesn't mean I am wrong. YMMV.
    EDIT.
    But this networking solution is definitely worth a try.

badrobot, Jun 9, 2017
  12. tracit99 Win User
    Wynona,
    You said in the OP of this thread that you have a Range Extender (NetGear Nighthawk AC1900). Doesn't it have Ethernet ports?

tracit99, Jun 9, 2017
  13. AndreTen Win User

It's in the wrong part of the house (as it was said in one post) - not sure about it.

AndreTen, Jun 9, 2017
  14. AndreTen Win User
    Of course, I can only speak from my experience... *Smile That second part of your post is important part of it, anyway

AndreTen, Jun 9, 2017
  15. tracit99 Win User
    Yes, she said it was like three rooms away in the OP. May be it can moved closer to her equipment or she can use a really long Ethernet cable temporarily. Of course either of this two options depend on whether the Netgear range extender has any Ethernet ports at all.

tracit99, Jun 9, 2017
Thema:

1. Setting Up a Second Router as a Repeater/Range Extender/Bridge - Similar Threads - Setting Second Router

2. RANGE EXTENDER CONNECT

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    RANGE EXTENDER CONNECT: NEED HELP TO CONNECT WIFI TO RANGE EXTENDER https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/range-extender-connect/c60932bd-359e-4c9e-8fe9-121b2b586916
  3. Range Extender

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Range Extender: How do I connect a tp-link wifi range extender to my pc? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/range-extender/ecdd9823-8486-4b89-9795-c2f9d50287ff
  4. wireless range extender

wireless range extender: was trying to put in a wi fi 4 extender. put in the wrong password. now i cannot connect. how do i completely get rid of it and start over. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wireless-range-extender/757037cb-f493-4175-8177-7c12b8c1d06a
  5. Setting up 2nd Fritz!Box 7490 router as mesh repeater

Setting up 2nd Fritz!Box 7490 router as mesh repeater: Within a few weeks I expect to receive a 2nd Fritz!Box 7490 router, which I plan to setup as a mesh repeater to extend the range of my wifi signal. I plan on using this guide: Setting up the FRITZ!Box as a Mesh Repeater | FRITZ!Box 7490 | AVM International The existing...
  6. Laptop unable to switch between router and range extender

Laptop unable to switch between router and range extender: Hi,I am using windows 10 on Asus A555LF, since past few weeks my laptop is unable to switch from range extender to my router. I have Tenda router and tenda range extender installed at 1st floor and ground floor respectively. All other laptops and mobile devices switches as I...
  7. Alexsixs WiFi Range Extender

Alexsixs WiFi Range Extender: I just set up the Alexsixs WiFi Range Extender to boost the signal strength of my Router for the four WiFi Windows 10 PCs being used at my home. The boosted signal gets invariably picked up by my mobile phone and by my Amazon Fire TV Stick. But my PCs sometimes pick up the...
  8. Router Extender

Router Extender: I am going to upgrade to Windows 10 in the near future. I am in need of a WiFi extender. Does it make any difference on the OS? Compatible with Windows 10? Thanks in advance. 9504
  9. How extend range of wi-fi

How extend range of wi-fi: I'd like to know what the options are to extend my wi-fi signal range. I have extra routers if that help and I'm hoping to not spend a lot of money. Thank you. 98411
  10. no internet via wifi range extender

no internet via wifi range extender: windows 10 installed major updates this morning now I cannot get onto the internet via my range extender this has always been intermittent in the past but could get it to work eventually I have run the connection diagnostics and its telling me there are components missing and...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. setting up a 2nd router after repeater