Windows 10: Setting up Backup on New HD, but don't want to reformat a partition

Discus and support Setting up Backup on New HD, but don't want to reformat a partition in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I haven't yet fully restored Outlook from a recovery. (I did restore it, but I have to recover it again.) In attempting to set up a new backup, the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by BellaDonna, Jul 15, 2016.

1. Setting up Backup on New HD, but don't want to reformat a partition

I haven't yet fully restored Outlook from a recovery. (I did restore it, but I have to recover it again.)
    In attempting to set up a new backup, the drive has an unformatted primary partition. It may contain the recovery image I need, so I don't want to format it.
    As a matter of fact, I don't want to do anything that might hurt my chances of a recovery at all.
    I would assume that the .vhd has been protected from people like me.
    I already created a new image... (Only.)

I'm also running an HD Tune error check, which may reveal the location of the 26 damaged sectors.

Suggestions would be welcome in setting up Macrium - it offers far more that I am used to with Backup & Restore.

I've had restore/recovery problems, so having a new HD offers one kind of peace.
    I'm shutting it down - the backup - and waiting for some proper direction.

Thank you.

:)

BellaDonna, Jul 15, 2016

2. Windows 10 Reset (clean OS install + disk clean) - "There was a problem resetting your PC. No changes were made"

Hi there

I don't think it's strictly correct that after a clean install the only files left are new files - yes, the old file address register is gone so you can't see the old files in Explorer, but the data still sits on the HD and can be accessed if someone with
    a certain level of IT knowledge (and some software tools) wants to. This is what I was wanting to address with my original query.

Anyway, I followed the "before you sell or gift your device" link, but ended up with the same problem as I had at the very start so no resolution i.e. "There was a problem resetting your PC. No changes were made".

SInce I've spent too much time on this now, the only solution I came up with was to reformat the partition on my HD that does NOT have the Win 10 OS. I had never saved any personal or work files on the OS partition so leaving that with the new OS install
    but not reformatted is low risk IMO.

If anyone has a better solution, then I'd love to hear about it!

Alastair Fife, Jul 15, 2016
  3. cko1xxxx Win User
    I put in a new SSD, copied my old disk using Samsungs SW, and want to make my original disk a second disk.

Dennis,

Thank you. I was able to access the old HD and reformat the data partition. There are currently six partitions on the old drive but I can only reformat the data partition. How do I format the entire drive? It is a 2GB HD and I can only reformat the large
    data partition (1.8 GB) so its not terribly important since I have plenty of space but I'd like to know. Thanks again.

cko1xxxx, Jul 15, 2016
Thema:

Setting up Backup on New HD, but don't want to reformat a partition

1. Setting up Backup on New HD, but don't want to reformat a partition - Similar Threads - Setting Backup don't

2. don't want to set up personal Microsoft account on new computers for store POS system

in Windows 10 Gaming
    don't want to set up personal Microsoft account on new computers for store POS system: I am setting up multiple new Windows 11 computers for a point of sale system. How can I bypass setting each one up with a Microsoft personal account? We need an Ethernet local domain....
  3. don't want to set up personal Microsoft account on new computers for store POS system

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    don't want to set up personal Microsoft account on new computers for store POS system: I am setting up multiple new Windows 11 computers for a point of sale system. How can I bypass setting each one up with a Microsoft personal account? We need an Ethernet local domain....
  4. Extending a partition with a backup set up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Extending a partition with a backup set up: Hi!, My backup partition is running out of space and I want to expand it. I went to computer management > disk manager and I freed some space and went to extend disk, then a message popped up saying that it will convert this disk to a dynamic and you won't be able to boot...
  5. Difficulties partitioning my new HDD. Faulty HD?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Difficulties partitioning my new HDD. Faulty HD?: 0x80300024Hey guys, I received a new WD 4TB HDD I'm planning to use to install windows 10 on. However the strangest thing is happening making me suspect that the HDD is faulty. I booted Windows 10 install set up and and choose advanced/custom install I identified my new HHD...
  6. Partition portion of External HD for System Files Backup

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Partition portion of External HD for System Files Backup: Current Windows Version 2004 (OS Build 1904.329) I have a secondary 3TB External USB HD. Once formatted leaves me with 2.72 TB of storage. What I would like to do is have two partitions on this physical drive. Logical Drive K which would have about 600gb and that would leave...
  7. Reformatting SSD and not HD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reformatting SSD and not HD: Hello there! I have an MSI Laptop with a 128gb SSD and a 500gb HD. I have windows installed on my SSD and personal files on my HD. But now my SSD is almost full i wish to format it / reinstall windows 10 on it for a fresh start, but without losing the data on my HD. I...
  8. Setting up new laptop and wanting no log in screen

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Setting up new laptop and wanting no log in screen: I am setting up my wifes new laptop and she has never had to enter a password so that isd how she wants it to stay. My googling resulted in me unticking a box re needing a password, and when the laptop startys up its fine, straight to the desktop, but then when it times out...
  9. Does BackUp to an external hd do a new backup with date?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Does BackUp to an external hd do a new backup with date?: I have been backing up my Win10 to external harddrives. However, when I check the harddrives, the only File History I can find was dated 1.31.18 It seems as if when I want to change the HD used, the laptop balks at this and I have to go to Adv. Settings and turn backup on...
  10. Reformatting Old OS Drive Partition

in Windows 10 Support
    Reformatting Old OS Drive Partition: Just cloned Windows 10 system disk from 230 Gb SSD to 900 Gb SSD using Acronis. New system drive works fine. Trying to remove the OS partition from old OS drive and get "OS (E*Smile Simple Volume is currently in use" and statement regarding forced deletion may affect...