Windows 10: Setting up 'Childs' accounts without using emails?

Discus and support Setting up 'Childs' accounts without using emails? in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I am setting up a laptop with Windows 10 Pro for use by my 4 & 6-year-old niece and nephew. I will have a local admin account - it will not be... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Nick1303, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Nick1303 Win User

Setting up 'Childs' accounts without using emails?

I am setting up a laptop with Windows 10 Pro for use by my 4 & 6-year-old niece and nephew.
    I will have a local admin account - it will not be associated with any kind of 'Microsoft' account/email.
    I want each of them to have their own logins.
    I have read GREAT things about the features available under the Family settings if you set up a childs account.
    However despite all my attempts, and all my reading, I cannot find any information that would indicate a 'childs' account can be set up as a local user.
    I do NOT want these children to have an email address (not even a fake one like so many people seemed to have resorted to).
    In the years that this pain point has been discussed, has anyone found a way to make use of the Family-childs settings while only using local users?
    Local users are not the same as Child accounts from what I have seen and read, so even though a local user can be created without an email, I specifically am in need of the features made available to the 'Child' that are set up through Family settings.

Is it possible, or am I stuck resorting to local users, and 3rd party child/security software?

:)

Nick1303, Oct 12, 2017
  2. neicee2 Win User

How do I block websites without setting up a child account on Windows 10?

Original title: How do I block websites without setting up a child account?

I would like to block websites without setting up a child's account. How would I do this?

neicee2, Oct 12, 2017
  3. AEG111 Win User
    Changing Adult Account to Child Account

My child's account was mistakenly set up as an adult with a credit card. I have added the correct child birth date, deleted the credit card info, and added the child to my family account. Will my child still be able to change settings on their microsoft
    account without parental permission?

AEG111, Oct 12, 2017
  4. simrick Win User

Hi Nick1303 and welcome to Tenforums.
    As far as I know, a child account requires monitoring, (by MS, for your reports), and therefore needs an email address/account.
    I'd do it a bit differently, since they are not your children (I assume they don't have daily access to the system, and you won't need reports about their usage time and where they go).
    Yes, probably a 3rd-party application will be the best way to go for your needs.

simrick, Oct 16, 2017
  5. Nick1303 Win User
    Thanks for the feedback.
    I caved in and setup throwaway accounts for them, and what I'm finding is that the Family controls don't do quite everything I thought they would anyways. Lots of web limitations, time restrictors, but seemed like you would still need to manage it through GPO or other settings to really lock down localized behavior.
    I think you're right - 3rd party is probably going to be the more appropriate approach for my needs.

Nick1303, Oct 16, 2017
  6. simrick Win User
    Yes, I remember trying it a few years ago for my kid, and was not happy with it at all. Good luck. *Smile

simrick, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Setting up 'Childs' accounts without using emails? - Similar Threads - Setting 'Childs' accounts

2. Setting up Family Saftey account on child's computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Setting up Family Saftey account on child's computer: My child is the administrator of their computer and Microsoft 365 account. I want to set up the Family Safety- so I can restrict content and set up time allowance each time.Does it matter that they are the administrator of their computer and 365 account. Should I set up the...
  3. Setting up Family Saftey account on child's computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Setting up Family Saftey account on child's computer: My child is the administrator of their computer and Microsoft 365 account. I want to set up the Family Safety- so I can restrict content and set up time allowance each time.Does it matter that they are the administrator of their computer and 365 account. Should I set up the...
  4. Child account without link to family account

Child account without link to family account: My child's microsoft account has been "orphaned" - there is no link to a family. Because of this, she cannot change settings to her account. In the forum, it is advised to unlink from her existing family administrator and then add her to my family. This is not possible, as we...
  5. Child account with email

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Child account with email: Why have microsoft made it nearly impossible to create an account for a child that actually doesnt **** up within the first week of creation. then trying to reset password is impossible unless you a microsoft guru!! I have pre ordered games in preperation of the xbox x...
  6. How to set up a child account

How to set up a child account: I'm having trouble setting up a child account on a Windows 10 machine. I'm prompted to add a child, but the system won't accept the account because the email account isn't a Microsoft account, and I don't plan to give him a Microsoft account. So if I select instead the...
  7. Setting up Child accounts on a Laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Setting up Child accounts on a Laptop: How can I share Apps and software on my children's login on our family laptop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/setting-up-child-accounts-on-a-laptop/39cb219c-3b9e-4843-acf6-885725d87f58
  8. Set up new email account

Set up new email account: I'm trying to set up a new email account but it keeps telling me my Shawmail account setting are out of date. I have checked my password and security certificate and both are as they should be???...
  9. Child account email

Child account email: Why can I not block a child account access to the mail app? Why are discussions about this locked? This is egregious. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-outlook_mail/child-account-email/873519b7-34d3-4618-8291-351e3c64f967
  10. Can I set up an child account without an Microsoft account?

Can I set up an child account without an Microsoft account?: Hi, I do not have a Microsoft account but I'd like to set up an Windows account for my child (6 years old). I would like to basically restrict everything, and just let her play a couple of games. It is very important that she is not allowed to delete, change or...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. setting up free childs email