Windows 10: Setting up new Laptop with Win 10 and having problems with PROGRAM

Discus and support Setting up new Laptop with Win 10 and having problems with PROGRAM in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; DEFAULTS. I do not want to use MAIL, any Microsoft mail but use YAHOO. on a web page where they supply a link or email address, if you click, MAIL... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by jagman, Jul 11, 2017.

1. jagman Win User

Setting up new Laptop with Win 10 and having problems with PROGRAM

DEFAULTS.
    I do not want to use MAIL, any Microsoft mail but use YAHOO.
    on a web page where they supply a link or email address, if you click, MAIL will open up.
    Found a page in Win 10 found CONTROL PANEL/PROGRAM DEFAULTS/PROGRAM ASSOCIATIONS
    BUT THE DEFAULT BOXES WILL NOT UNCHECK.
    T his is not the only Win 10 default I need to disable.

Where can I turn these defaults OFF?

:)

jagman, Jul 11, 2017
  2. Mojo418 Win User

New Laptop with Win 10 64bit and Old with Win 10 64bit

I called HP and cancelled original order and started another order with the max 16GB memory and the dual 256GB SSD /1TB HDD combination. If I going to go for a new spruced up laptop have to go all the way.

I was searching for an external SSD with a dock and the PCIe with the external adapter, That is so I wouldn't have to open laptop and when warranty was over can install it internally. By the time I priced it out and the work I would have to do setting up,
    it was cheaper to have it done by HP. The delivery time was the same because laptop on sale came with everything but SSD.

Thanks for your thoughts it weighed in on my decision to not mess around with laptop.

Thanks again Andre, talk to you later,

John

Mojo418, Jul 11, 2017
  3. New Laptop with Win 10 64bit and Old with Win 10 64bit

My honest advice, leave either computer as is. Your HP Envy will be fast enough, even if it does not have an SSD.

Switching around drives or attempting to install a new one might further complicate issues with licensing the operating system.

I can see simplifying things by purchasing a new drive and add it to your system, but based on what you do with a computer, I would just let things be the way they are.

Also, because its a laptop, it is proprietary in design, which might not make it expandable for adding another drive.

Andre Da Costa, Jul 11, 2017
  4. JBGoode Win User

Settings>>Apps>>Default Apps and set your Yahoo mail as default. You can change all of your default apps there- browser, music player, etc

JBGoode, Jul 11, 2017
  5. jagman Win User
    When your link(s), Settings>>Apps>>Default Apps,
    It only lists THREE options:
    OUTLOOK 2016
    MAIL
    LOOK 'FOR APP IN STORE

I see no "add", Yahoo, or anyway to "add" like yahoo.

jagman, Jul 11, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    @jagman, you want a mailto: link on a web page to open your browser, logged in to your Yahoo web mail and to open at the 'compose mail' page?

There are two parts to this question. First, you need your browser registered as a handler for the MAILTO protocol, by default none are. Second you need to configure the browser to handle a MAILTO request. For the first part you need to edit the registry. For the second you need to choose a browser that can be configured that way.

Here's how I did it so that I could use my Yahoo webmail in Firefox whenever I click a mailto: link.

In the case of Firefox, a new String named mailto should be added to the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\StartMenuInternet\FIREFOX.EXE\Capabilities\URLAssociations with the value FirefoxURL (the same value as all the existing strings there).

Setting up new Laptop with Win 10 and having problems with PROGRAM [​IMG]

It's then available as an option in 'choose default applications by protocol'.

Setting up new Laptop with Win 10 and having problems with PROGRAM [​IMG]

In addition, Firefox itself need to be configured to handle a mailto: by opening your chosen webmail service (or whatever else you use). For Firefox the relevant setting are found by putting aboutSetting up new Laptop with Win 10 and having problems with PROGRAM :preferences#applications in the address bar. If you want to go straight in to composing the reply then you'll have to have previously logged into Yahoo mail in Firefox and ticked 'remember me', otherwise you'll get the Yahoo mail login page before you go to 'compose mail'.

It should be relatively straight forward adapting these instructions for another browser and/or another webmail service.

7. jagman Win User
    When i get to:I URLAssociations

then:'choose default applications by protocol' is not available

only: fields like: (default), ftp, http, http....
    any fields i need to type into? if so, what?

jagman, Jul 12, 2017
  8. jagman Win User

ps: Win 7 used to, when a email address was provided, opened a box and you choose the email provider, then went to that page, the entered the "hidden" address if i remember correctly

jagman, Jul 12, 2017
  9. Bree New Member
    As I said, there are two parts to this question, the first requires editing the registry by running Regedit. You have to be very careful doing this, any mistake can damage your system. For Firefox if you click on URLAssociations key in the left hand pane at :
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\StartMenuInternet\FIREFOX.EXE\Capabilities\URLAssociations it should only contain the strings (Default), ftp, http and https - each of type REG_SZ with the last three containing the text FirefoxURL. The mailto string doesn't exist yet, you have to make it. Right-click in an empty part of the right hand pane and select New > String Value. Give it the name mailto then double-click on it to edit it and type in FirefoxURL (the same text as you should see in the ftp/http/https strings). Click OK then close Regedit, you may need to restart for the changes to take effect.

Now you can set the default application by protocol. Open Settings, there's a 'find a setting' search box at the top. The quickest way to find the 'Choose default applications by protocol' settings page is to type protocol in this search box. Scroll down to MAILTO which will currently say 'Mail'. Click on 'Mail' and you should now find Firefox is available as one of the choices.

The second part is to set up Firefox to use your Yahoo Mail for mailto. Open Firefox and go to its aboutSetting up new Laptop with Win 10 and having problems with PROGRAM :preferences#applications page.

Bree, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Setting up new Laptop with Win 10 and having problems with PROGRAM - Similar Threads - Setting Laptop having

2. New laptop set up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New laptop set up: Hi I have just bought a laptop for my son, I am using my Microsoft account for 365 etc as am allowed 5 devices.The problem is all my information ie, one drive etc..So he can see bank details etc very private stuff. I don't want him seeing all this and want a empty laptop for...
  3. Setting up a new laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Setting up a new laptop: Hello,I'm setting up a new laptop for the first time and don't want to bring any of my other linked computer apps or documents to it. When I log into my Microsoft account or OneDrive account it automatically connects the two. Is there a way to set it up independently under...
  4. setting up new laptop

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    setting up new laptop: hi. I have a windows 10 laptop that uses my Microsoft account and email. When my wife bought her laptop we set it up with my Microsoft account and added her email to it. Now we are buying her a new laptop with windows 11 and when we set it up, can she set it up with her own...
  5. setting up new laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    setting up new laptop: hi. I have a windows 10 laptop that uses my Microsoft account and email. When my wife bought her laptop we set it up with my Microsoft account and added her email to it. Now we are buying her a new laptop with windows 11 and when we set it up, can she set it up with her own...
  6. Problems setting up new laptop with Windows 10

Problems setting up new laptop with Windows 10: Just bought a new laptop with Windows 10 and run through the setup procedure bearing in mind I'm a bit green. All went well except for one thing:When it asked for a Microsoft account is wouldn't accept my email address saying I already had one news to me? so I created a new...
  7. Set Up New Laptop

Set Up New Laptop: When setting up new laptop, windows account is not recognised, when windows account entered into create account 'you cannot log in with work account' message is received? Other colleagues at same company do not have this issue....
  8. Transfer PROGRAMS and files to new win 10 laptop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Transfer PROGRAMS and files to new win 10 laptop: Hi all, Can someone tell me how to transfer PROGRAMS, files and settings from my old windows 10 laptop to my new windows 10 laptop? I want to transfer the programs also, not just the file and settings. Also, both systems are 32 bit. Thanks John...
  9. Having problems setting up my microsoft account on my new laptop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Having problems setting up my microsoft account on my new laptop: We have recently bought a new laptop and Im at the stage of setting up my Microsoft account but when I get to the stage of verifying my password it wont accept it and says it invalid. But it has just accepted it when I logged into this Microsoft.com I even tried setting up...
  10. setting up new laptop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    setting up new laptop: i am trying to set up a new laptop and do not know how to get my pop.windstream settings to get onto my outlook existing account that is on my desktop...