Windows 10: Settings aren't taking effect

Discus and support Settings aren't taking effect in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Basically I'm trying to get rid of the delay between pressing a key and being able to use the mouse. When I pressing keys I can't use the mouse at the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by IndiaHawker, Apr 3, 2016.

1. Settings aren't taking effect

Basically I'm trying to get rid of the delay between pressing a key and being able to use the mouse. When I pressing keys I can't use the mouse at the same time - there is a short delay until the touchpad kicks into action. Very annoying when playing games. I fixed it before, but since updating the driver it's a problem again.

I went to settings>devices>mouse & touchpad, and underneath "Touchpad" it says "To help prevent the cursor from accidentally moving while you type, change the delay before clicks work". I changed it from "Medium delay" to "No delay (always on)". I thought this is what I did to fix it before, but maybe I'm wrong.

Doing that hasn't seemed to make a single bit of difference, even after restarting a couple of times. I messed around a bit, and noticed that when I tried something as simple as changing the primary mouse button from the left to the right, that didn't change either. Even after restarting. But the strange thing is that when I go back to settings, it's still showing up that it is changed (AKA the right mouse button still set as the primary button - despite the fact that the left is still working as the primary, and the right is still right-clicking). Which leads me to believe that maybe changing the touchpad setting to "No delay (always on)" IS the right setting to fix my problem - but it just won't take effect.

Please help me, it's driving me absolutely mad. Especially as I imagine/hope it's a simple fix. I can't seem to see any "apply" button so I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Please and thanks.
    Settings aren't taking effect [​IMG]

:)

IndiaHawker, Apr 3, 2016

2. Family Safety Screen Time - Get More Time Notifications Do Not Work

Windows 10 doesn't work with this troubleshooter. In fact, windows 10 has mucked up EVERYTHING that was awesome about family safety. Every process that used to be simple is now a long and convoluted task. I wanted to extend my kid's time limits for the
    summer, but the new settings aren't taking effect. Way to go microsoft. You really hit a home run with Win10.

MayaCointreau, Apr 3, 2016
  3. garym123 Win User
    anti-malware software for Win phone 8 (WP8)

Open IE and close all open tabs. Then go to settings and delete history.

You are caring it around in history or open tabs.

If the phone has malware why aren't other browsers effected?

garym123, Apr 3, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Settings aren't taking effect

dalchina, Apr 3, 2016
  5. I would go into Control Panel and access it through there instead of the "Settings" app.

1. Go to Start Menu
    2. Type in Control Panel, click on it when it pops up
    3. Then go to Mouse in one of the categories and you should be able to change it through there.

Sorry I am no in too detail, I am on my Mac at school (I have some free time right now), so I can't tell you the "exacts", but I think you can get the point. It's pretty simple really. *Smile

Hope this helps you any

Sincerely
    M

Edit: dang it dalchina you beat me to it haha *chuckle

Computer Chicken, Apr 3, 2016
  6. Thank you both. I've already tried that - I get a slightly different screen but managed to find my way to the correct page. (pictured below)

I've tried putting the top slider down to minimum, and the two below it. When I did this I was able to move the mouse after pressing keys with no delay/a very small delay. But if I was holding down a key, it would only allow me to move the mouse around for a short period of time before acting like I wasn't touching the mouse again. So when playing Minecraft, I could walk forward, start to look around but after about a second was stuck in the same position again - able to move forward with the arrow key, but not turn. So then I have to stop walking and start again - which is extremely impractical in survival and just generally clunky anyway. (Minecraft is the main problem I'm having here, and a good example). I've now put the settings on that page back to default as I'm sure that wasn't how I fixed the problem last time, and didn't fix it properly this time.

I still feel like the problem is more due to the fact that NONE of the settings are updating (perhaps this thread would be better off in the General Support forum where I originally posted it?) as I can't even get the primary mouse button to change (although in the settings it appears changed). I don't know... thoughts and help still appreciated please and thanks!

IndiaHawker, Apr 3, 2016
  7. dalchina New Member

dalchina, Apr 3, 2016
  8. dalchina New Member

Suggest you find a setting you can clearly and easily tell is changed, and convince yourself it is changing.

You can try uninstalling your touchpad driver and restarting to let it reinstall...

Also for now forget Minecraft and aim to get your cursor moving continuously whilst holding a key in a simpler context- over your desktop say.

Also check what happens after a clean boot.

Otherwise its a matter of searching and researching in the hope someone's posted a fix.

dalchina, Apr 3, 2016
  9. I have been trying it without Minecraft - just on the desktop and it's exactly the same, with the delay. Not sure what you mean about convincing myself it's changing but that's why I picked the primary mouse button setting to test it out in - because it's obvious if it's working or not - and in this case it's not. Might try the driver thing, but want to see if there's a fix for the fact that none of the settings are changing first.

IndiaHawker, Apr 3, 2016
  10. dalchina New Member
    I had in mind a setting not related to your touchpad- just to convince yourself you can change sthg.

You might be lucky in sorting this out by uninstalling the touchpad.

Another idea might be to create a new user. If somehow it's a permissions issue, testing this in a new profile might demonstrate this. You can always just delete the user. Doesn't take long.

dalchina, Apr 3, 2016
  11. Wow, that is weird. My Control Panel or Settings have never done that *Think I wonder why yours is doing that.

Computer Chicken, Apr 3, 2016
  12. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Apr 3, 2016
  13. Settings aren't taking effect

It seems to be just touchpad related settings that won't change. If I uninstall and re-install the driver, do I have to have a spare mouse to hand to be able to use the laptop without the touchpad driver?

IndiaHawker, Apr 4, 2016
  14. If you have a mouse use that, it is a lot better than using a touchpad. Believe me *really *Smile

Computer Chicken, Apr 4, 2016
  15. dalchina New Member
    It's certainly convenient, but you can navigate most things without a touchpad or mouse using the keyboard.
    (Tab, Return, arrow keys, hot keys....)

dalchina, Apr 4, 2016
Thema:

1. Settings aren't taking effect - Similar Threads - Settings aren't taking

2. "PowerShell -nologo" doesn't take effects.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "PowerShell -nologo" doesn't take effects.: The operating system running on the computer is "Windows 11 Insider Preview Build 23545.ni_prerelease.230908-1421".The version of the PowerShell is "5.1.23545.1000".According to page 11 in "windows_powershell_3.0_step_by_step", the method of launch Windows PowerShell without...
  3. Volume adjustments wont take effect.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Volume adjustments wont take effect.: Hello, a quick question and fix please. My volume button wont take effect on the actual audio, the sound keeps playing at probably 100 volume even if it is set to mute. I tried restarting windows explorer and running the troubleshooter....
  4. Volume adjustments wont take effect.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Volume adjustments wont take effect.: Hello, a quick question and fix please. My volume button wont take effect on the actual audio, the sound keeps playing at probably 100 volume even if it is set to mute. I tried restarting windows explorer and running the troubleshooter....
  5. Power button on latop won't take power option settings in effect

in Windows 10 Customization
    Power button on latop won't take power option settings in effect: I tried setting the power button to sleep / shutdown the system when it's plugged.None takes effect.Pressing the power button when the laptop is on does nothing.The system can sleep / shutdown normally by using options from start menu.What has gone wrong?System:MSI 15M...
  6. Changing Touchpad Settings but changes aren't taking effect

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Changing Touchpad Settings but changes aren't taking effect: So my touchpad one day started being weird. It is super unresponsive to tap touch, and also i've lost right click unless I tap with two fingers... I open up touchpad settings and I have now realised that no matter what I do, the changes I make simply don't change anything. I...
  7. Registry not taking effect?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Registry not taking effect?: I made some changes in the registry lately, but they still haven't taken effect. I rebooted my computer, changed permissions for the registry key, but they still don't work. I am very confused, this key has worked perfectly fine in the past, and I have no idea why it's not...
  8. Changing PATH does not take effect

in Windows 10 Support
    Changing PATH does not take effect: I have extended the PATH as in the attached screenshot, but when I open a new CMD Prompt, the directory I have placed at the end of the PATH is missing.*Confused [img] 134488
  9. Mouse custom settings don't take effect on startup

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Mouse custom settings don't take effect on startup: I have a Microsoft Mouse (Microsoft M03-00090 Wireless Optical Mouse 5000) with customizable buttons that can be set via the Mouse and Keyboard Center. In Windows 7, all worked fine, but after upgrading to Windows 10, every time I turn the computer on, or restart it, the...
  10. File and Dir security permission settings not taking effect

in Windows 10 Support
    File and Dir security permission settings not taking effect: I have been going nuts with this. For the past 3 days I have been getting messages saying I do not have permission to write in directories where I am listed as the owner. I have ensured that the users MyuserID, Administrators, and SYSTEM all have Full control over the...