Windows 10: Settings can't be opened using the built-in administrator account

Discus and support Settings can't be opened using the built-in administrator account in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I installed Windows 10 from Windows 7, and now I can't open Settings using my account (which is an administrator account). I apparently have to use a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by dabz, Jun 17, 2015.

1. dabz Win User

Settings can't be opened using the built-in administrator account

I installed Windows 10 from Windows 7, and now I can't open Settings using my account (which is an administrator account). I apparently have to use a different account, but I don't have one, and with no access to Settings, I can't make another account. I tried booting into Safe Mode, but I couldn't create an account there, either -- I clicked "create new user in PC settings" (or something along those lines), but nothing happened. Does anyone have a clue what I'm supposed to do?

:)

2. Error: Settings can't be opened using the Built-in Administrator account. Sign in with a differnet account and try again.

Hi Hitesh,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I can understand the inconvenience caused. This is a design by default, However, you can change it by following method:

Enable the User Account Control for the Administrator account.

Open Local Security Policy, go to Local Policies –> Security Options –> User Accoumt Control: Admin Approval Mode for the Build-in Administrator Account, and click
    Enabled.

Please refer the link for more details on Local Security Policy:
    Open the Local Group Policy Editor

Check if the issue persists. Get back to us with the response for further assistance.

Wungraileng Vashi, Jun 17, 2015
  3. Error: Settings can't be opened using the Built-in Administrator account. Sign in with a differnet account and try again.

*Original Title: Please Help me solve the problem

Please Help me solve the problemPlease Help me solve the problemPlease Help me solve the problemPlease Help me solve the problemPlease Help me solve the problemPlease Help me solve the problemPlease Help me solve the problemPlease Help me solve the problem
    Settings can't be opened using the built-in administrator account [​IMG]

HiteshSathawane, Jun 17, 2015
  4. Mystere Win User

Wait, is it the built-in administrator, or a regular account that is set to be an Administrator?

Mystere, Jun 17, 2015
  5. Fragment Win User
    You should be able to open an elevated command prompt (CMD.exe) window tho'.

You can add a user there.

Code: net user /add <username> <password>[/quote] optionally to put this user into the group of admins, type this after the first command

Code: net localgroup administrators <username> /add[/quote] the problem you encounter happens with the built-in "Administrator" account.
    Or if you stop/disable app-dependent windows services.

Oh and by the way... *Smile if you want to make it simpler you can of course go to the user accounts via the control panel, instead of via "Settings" ;-)

Fragment, Jun 17, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Dabz, and welcome to Ten Forums.

The build-in Administrator will be able to open settings by pressing the Windows + i keys.

See the blue note box at the top of the tutorial below for more details. *Smile

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3...dows-10-a.html

Brink, Jun 17, 2015
  7. angus Win User
    Hello,
    Unfortunately I have the same issue as Dabz from upgrading win7 to win10.
    I've tried opening settings using all the suggested methods and it will not load using my account with Administrator access nor the built-in Administrator profile. I also tried other methods not listed such as using Run. Control panel is just a stepping stone to add users in Settings.
    I'm also having explorer.exe issues, which I believe is preventing Settings from loading.
    Using cmd (Admin) I successfully created a new user profile [and granted admin access also using cmd (Admin)], however win10 will not allow this account to log on. win10 does not list this new user within control panel but it does in the start menu. win10 will not allow to log in or switch to the new account via the start menu either.
    I can access settings in Safe Mode but this will not allow me to create a new account.
    Any help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers

angus, Sep 26, 2015
  8. Settings can't be opened using the built-in administrator account

Hi guys

I have same issue in safe boot mode with networking!

First of all it blocks the networking

Then states:

Settings cant be opened using the built in administrator account sign in with different account and try again.

Yet clicking on windows i opens settings fine

It also states broadband blocked, yet I can happily get on the net but at first I couldn't.

When I asked about it the guy from Microsoft tech answers couldn't understand why I wanted to use safe boot mode with networking????????

After he did nothing to help but emailed some scripts which didn't refer to safe mode. I rebooted and suddenly safe mode with networking worked with the net but windows 10 still claims broadband is blocked!

Im also still getting the message on trying to unblock broadband:

cant be opened using the built in administrator account sign in with different account and try again.

What is going on there?

Lokiroarsamba, Feb 13, 2016
  9. I am having the same issue as Lokiroarsamba . Except I have not been able to get the system to open at all in safe mode with networking.

BpGeorgeMichael, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Settings can't be opened using the built-in administrator account - Similar Threads - Settings can't opened

2. Edge can't open using built-in Admin account

in Browsers and Email
    Edge can't open using built-in Admin account: Hello, My office updated to Win 10 about three months ago. One of my co-workers has discovered that she can't boot Edge. I've tried these potential fixes, but still no go. Fix #1: 1. >Win/R & type “secpol.msc” (no quotes); browse to: >Local Policies, >Security...
  3. Built in administrator account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Built in administrator account: I've been using Windows 10 since the auto update from 8.1 Everything has worked since then, but then this happens. Randomly in the last days, if I click on any app, I get prompted "App cannot be opened using the built-in administrator account." I don't know where...
  4. The ...cannot be opened with built-in administrator account problem

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    The ...cannot be opened with built-in administrator account problem: I am trying to help my neighbor upgrade to windows 10 from 8 (we have downgraded once because of these problems, and if I can't get this solved soon, I will have to do it again). In 8 apparently, she was using the builtin admin account as her primary/only account, though...
  5. Microsoft Edge can't be opened using the built-in administrator

in Browsers and Email
    Microsoft Edge can't be opened using the built-in administrator: I only have one user account on my Windows 10x64 Pro machine and it has administrator privileges with UAC turned off and has been that way ever since it was installed. Now whenever I try to open Microsoft Edge I get a pop-up that says: "Microsoft Edge can't be opened using...
  6. Mail Can't be Opened using the Built-in Administration Account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mail Can't be Opened using the Built-in Administration Account: I can't use any of the panes (calendar, weather, store, etc.) on Windows 10. I receive a message "this app can't open. Mail can't be opened using the built in administration account. How to resolve this issue quickly and reliably? 32598
  7. Can't open photos with built in administrator

Can't open photos with built in administrator: Okay as it implies I can't open photos, I did have this problem before on my other computers. Whenever I try to add a new account it takes me to setttings and when I hit the button to add another account I get a black windows box for half second and nothing happens. Should I...
  8. App can't be opened using the built-in administrator account.

App can't be opened using the built-in administrator account.: [img] [img] I was getting UAC shields appearing on some of the icons. I found the solution how to get rid of them by going to the "Local Security Policy" > Local Policies > Security Options and disabling: User Account Control: Run all administrators in Admin Approval Mode...
  9. Settings cant be opened using the Built-in Administrator account

in Windows 10 Support
    Settings cant be opened using the Built-in Administrator account: When we received the acer we open a new outlook.com account. Never used it for any thing else. We apparently used the wrong password to many times and MS locked us out of the acct. They will not let us back in. We have the password to log into the computer and I used another...
  10. "...can't be opened using built-in Administrator account."

in Windows 10 Support
    "...can't be opened using built-in Administrator account.": Hi all, Working on a Win10 touchscreen desktop for a friend who just got scammed by one those fake "call this number, your computer is infected" ads. She foolishly let somebody from Indian remote into her computer and install some fake "weather" software which just caused...