Windows 10: Settings not appearing when I search for them in search bar

Discus and support Settings not appearing when I search for them in search bar in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi I Just bought a new XPS 13 (lowest end model) that came with Microsoft 10 pre-installed (bought it from Microsoft store). my problem is that I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by puppydays, Aug 28, 2015.

1. puppydays Win User

Settings not appearing when I search for them in search bar

Hi
    I Just bought a new XPS 13 (lowest end model) that came with Microsoft 10 pre-installed (bought it from Microsoft store). my problem is that I cannot search for settings in the main search bar or even the settings search bar, the settings search bar simply doesn't work at all, and to double check that this wasn't a windows 10 issue I tried it out on a friend's Laptop and it worked fine. I took screenshots of both my Laptop and my friend's.

My Laptop:

Settings not appearing when I search for them in search bar [​IMG]

searching for "add or remove" brings up nothing, even in the settings search

My friend's Laptop:

as you can see it works fine on my friend's laptop bringing up the settings i was searching for

I appreciate any help

thank you

:)

puppydays, Aug 28, 2015

2. Apps Wont Open When I Search for Them

Hi everyone,

I just started having this problem where when I searched in the search bar, for example, microsoft store, the store app would pop up, but when I clicked on it, nothing happened. I am aware that the same or a similar problem has already been discussed but
    the solution provided did not work for me. This is getting really annoying because I can't open any apps that are not already pinned to my taskbar. I can right click, for example, on the microsoft store app, and it gives me the option to pin to start. When
    I go to start however, it's empty.

I appreciate any help that I can get, if it works.

Thank you.

Philip Christainsen, Aug 28, 2015
  3. John Zab Win User
    Apps Wont Open When I Search for Them

Hi Philip,

To further assist you with the issue regarding apps, can you share with us which troubleshooting have you done so far?

Have you tried the following:

Method 1: Install any uninstalled updates to Windows. Go to Settings >
    Update & Security > Check for Updates.

Method 2: Date and Time settings.

• Check for
      connection problems
    • Check if you are signed in with a Microsoft account.
    • Check Date and Time settings.

Go to Settings > Time & Language.
    Method 3: Run System File Checker (SFC) and Restore health.

Method 4: Windows Store PowerShell command.

• Click Start, type PowerShell.
    • Right-click PowerShell, and then click Run as administrator.
    • If the User Account Control dialog box appears, confirm that the action it displays is what you want, and then click
      Continue.
    • Copy and paste or type the command powershell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $Env:SystemRoot\WinStore\AppxManifest.xml and hit
      Enter.
    • Reboot the computer to take effect the changes.

These are the most common steps in fixing app issues. If you have done any or all of the following, let us know.

Keep us posted.

John Zab, Aug 28, 2015
  4. sml156 Win User

On my computer it seemed to take a while to figure out where everything was I was seeing dots at the top of the search while searching I left my computer running all night to let it figure stuff out, You might want to run Windows Update a few times, I never had the problem of the settings page being empty though. Also when you search for something it may be painfully slow until everything is indexed

sml156, Aug 28, 2015
  5. puppydays Win User
    oh okay I'll try thanks

puppydays, Aug 28, 2015
  6. puppydays Win User
    hi again, I've tried what you suggested to no avail. I'm completely puzzled as to what could cause this

puppydays, Aug 28, 2015
  7. Eaglesail Win User
    Ever heard of a 'lemon'? Since another pc can perform your desired tasks...maybe this not an OS problem!

Eaglesail, Aug 28, 2015
  8. puppydays Win User

this does seems like a software issue, I also realized one difference between our two PCs
    My friend's laptop originally had Windows 8.1 and was upgraded to 10
    While my one had windows 10 pre-installed

puppydays, Aug 28, 2015
  9. Eaglesail Win User
    Yea.........I'm finding this annoying issue also in 10....also did in 8.1 as well.

Eaglesail, Aug 28, 2015
  10. YOU
    You Win User
  11. Kjellvis Win User
    Any progress or fix on this? Having the exact same issue on a couple of Thinkpad L440s upgraded from 7 pro to 10 pro.
    Called up MS support and they guided me through rebuilding the index ...to no avail.

I can search for apps and programs, no problem. Anything that has to do with system settings ..nope.

Upgraded a custom desktop from 7pro to 10 pro at the same time and no problems there. My Surface Pro 3 also went from 8.1 to 10 without a hitch.

Kjellvis, Aug 29, 2015
  12. caperjack Win User
    did you click settings icon , to check the settings

caperjack, Aug 29, 2015
  13. Kjellvis Win User

Kjellvis, Aug 29, 2015
  14. puppydays Win User
    yea the settings wheel just has cortana and web options that are irrelevant. I tried doing a complete rebuild of the index as suggested and nothing has worked yet

puppydays, Aug 30, 2015
  15. puppydays Win User
    so no solution yet, i tried making a folder with shortchuts of settings and adding that folder to the index and still nothing

puppydays, Sep 1, 2015
Thema:

1. Settings not appearing when I search for them in search bar - Similar Threads - Settings appearing search

2. Applications that showed up when I search in the search bar on the taskbar no longer appear

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Applications that showed up when I search in the search bar on the taskbar no longer appear: I recently reinstalled windows after an update that corrupted my windows installation, and I managed to salvage the contents of the drive, like programs, program data etc. I copied these files over to the new installation and the applications, once launched, work perfectly...
  3. Applications that showed up when I search in the search bar on the taskbar no longer appear

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Applications that showed up when I search in the search bar on the taskbar no longer appear: I recently reinstalled windows after an update that corrupted my windows installation, and I managed to salvage the contents of the drive, like programs, program data etc. I copied these files over to the new installation and the applications, once launched, work perfectly...
  4. Search bar settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search bar settings: How do I remove this ? It's for international tea day but I don't give a **** about it and want it off my screen. Where can I disable this kind of garbage in my settings ?...
  5. Search bar settings

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Search bar settings: How do I remove this ? It's for international tea day but I don't give a **** about it and want it off my screen. Where can I disable this kind of garbage in my settings ?...
  6. Search bar isn't appearing on taskbar

in Windows 10 Customization
    Search bar isn't appearing on taskbar: I got a new update on my computer but now the search bar isn't appearing on the taskbar. I already tried using the taskbar settings too. Is anyone else experiencing this problem as well?...
  7. CANT SEARCH IN THE SEARCH BAR, THE CONTROL PANEL BAR OR THE SETTINGS BAR

in Cortana
    CANT SEARCH IN THE SEARCH BAR, THE CONTROL PANEL BAR OR THE SETTINGS BAR: Whenever i try to type something in the search bar it doesnt type anything but my keyboard is working on google and other programs. I have tried writing the commands in powershell and command prompt, disabled all programs, doing the indexing thing etc. but it is still not...
  8. Search bar appears as a black box

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Search bar appears as a black box: After I power on my laptop and log in, I would normally use the search function to pull up Steam or Instagram. Though recently I've noticed that when I type anything into the search bar, the box above it which should display the results is a black box. It does not show any...
  9. When I left click anywhere a search bar appears

in Windows 10 Customization
    When I left click anywhere a search bar appears: When I left click anywhere on my screen using my laptop mouse pad and buttons, be it in a document, on the web, on desktop, anywhere. A search window appears in the bottom left of my screen, it has recently saved files, all my accounts linked to my computer, recent activity,...
  10. Search for settings entries in the normal search bar

in Windows 10 Support
    Search for settings entries in the normal search bar: I just installed the latest preview build yesterday. And I noticed that some search functionality is now different. I want to be able to search for 'power options' right on the normal search bar. I can no longer do that. I need to first search for settings, open settings app...