Windows 10: Settings, Start Menu, Store and tray icons are not working (again)

Discus and support Settings, Start Menu, Store and tray icons are not working (again) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've recently created a thread stating that Start Menu, Settings and everything on taskbar were not working (such as volume control and wi-fi... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ksio89, Aug 12, 2015.

1. ksio89 Win User

Settings, Start Menu, Store and tray icons are not working (again)

I've recently created a thread stating that Start Menu, Settings and everything on taskbar were not working (such as volume control and wi-fi networks). I reinstalled Windows (clean install) and it was good again until today, when it started again.

I tried to open Settings via "ms-settings:" via Run, but it says that "limit time was reached" (It's a rough translation, as Windows language in my notebook is not in English). If I press Windows key + P (ms-settings:display), it won't open and I get a message that "this file has not an associated program to it to perform this task". Install a program, or in case there's one already installed, create an association in Defaul Programs control panel." Basically, this a list of what is not opening anymore:

Start Menu, Settings (and all options within it), Windows tray icons (power options, wi-fi networks etc.).

I've already rebooted Windows but I didn't fix anything. I don't know man, this is the second time this issue arises after a clean install. Windows 10 is buggy as hell, what's up with Settings and Start menu not opening anymore? Is Windows 10 still in beta? Seriously, did MS test Windows 10 at all? It doesn't look so. If this keeps happening I'll have to return to Windows 8.1 which was working fine *Sad

Windows version is Home Single Language x64.

:)

ksio89, Aug 12, 2015

2. My start menu icons aren't showing up properly!

I have same problem, the start menu is not working. when you click it , nothing happened. Microsoft edge and store icon are missing on the taskbar.

start menu not working, Aug 12, 2015
  3. Start menu and notification tray are not transparent

Hi,

For us to effectively assist you, can you confirm if you're referring to the themes of your computer? If yes, kindly refer to these links

Get started with themes
    to see on how you can personalize the looks of your computer and

Personalize your PC
    to view available themes, desktop background and as well with language packs.

Hope this helps and if ever you have other questions, don't hesitate to post back.

Regards.

Jomel_Santos, Aug 12, 2015
  4. jds63 Win User

Sounds like possibility Windows 10 not activated, anyway to get to System Properties.When right click Start icon, select System, bottom right, does it say Activate Windows ?

jds63, Aug 12, 2015
  5. ksio89 Win User
    Yes, it says Windows Activated. It's exactly how it was before. And I noticed that Store taskbar shortcut is not opening as well.

ksio89, Aug 12, 2015
  6. jds63 Win User
    Wish i was able see message you are seeing exactly to determine this issue, parts of message you gave me falls into categories of device limit is reached, more has to do with Windows store or Account limit is reached which more due to activation.

Only wonder if some other software is conflicting in anyway. By no means is Windows 10 in Beta.

jds63, Aug 12, 2015
  7. Mystere Win User
    It sounds like you have something that's messing with your registry. Have you installed any applications? Run any of those "cleaner" type programs? etc? They can damage the registry if they aren't compatible with Windows 10.

Mystere, Aug 12, 2015
  8. ksio89 Win User

Hey guys, I found out a fix to solve this issue. It has to do with Error 67758 in which ms-settings do not have the correct association or something like that. Here's the link to the fix:

http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...g67758.diagcab

Apply this and then reboot your system, and Settings and everything else will open again. This looks like a extremely common issue with Windows 10, I would even suggest Ten Forums mods to make this fix sticky. Thanks everyone for the help.*Biggrin

ksio89, Aug 12, 2015
  9. jds63 Win User
    YW. Strange part of this even though it was fixed by this, it was the second time it happened after 2 clean installs.

jds63, Aug 12, 2015
  10. This has happened to me several times in the last week. There are 'solutions' you can google involving powershell scripts to reinstall the windows store apps. I never found them to solve the problem. IME, user profile corruption has been the culprit. I would suggest creating a new user, sign in, and see if the start menu is working for that new user. If it is, then probably your other users profile are corrupted.

claytoncarney, Aug 13, 2015
  11. jds63 Win User
    Few different reasons for you to get this error, but it is stated differently, either account, Device limit is reached.

jds63, Aug 13, 2015
  12. zoom05 Win User
    TY for your suggestion Ksio89. Sadly, the message I received stated it could not repair. Grrrrr!

zoom05, Aug 21, 2015
  13. ksio89 Win User

And..... it happened again today, can you believe? I've never seen an OS as buggy as Windows 10, even after a clean install. This loss of settings protocol association issue is like a running gag and the "spiritual successor" to the issue in Windows 8.1 in which Modern apps, Store and Settings would not open, requiring a batch file with a script to restore their functionality. I've reported this issue several times in Windows Eight forums, and now it's Windows 10 time!

Sorry If I'm ironic, but I get mad because it's very frequent. I'm kinda afraid one of these days this fix won't work anymore, making a Windows 10 fresh install the only remaining way to solve this issue.

By the way, Microsoft has some insight and a possible fix for this issue:

Settings doesnt launch, or launches the Store instead - Microsoft Community

ksio89, Oct 6, 2015
  14. Mystere Win User
    That specific issue was fixed months ago. It's likely there are a large number of possible causes of this problem, although they may all look the same, they probably aren't and each one will need to be analyzed and fixed individually.

Mystere, Oct 6, 2015
  15. ksio89 Win User
    I run this fix, and despite the wizard telling me that there wasn't anything to fix, I rebooted and Settings worked once more. Looks like just rebooting fixes this issue, so good so far.

ksio89, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Settings, Start Menu, Store and tray icons are not working (again) - Similar Threads - Settings Start Menu

2. Icons missing in 'Other system tray icons' in Setting menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Icons missing in 'Other system tray icons' in Setting menu: Hi all,Not sure how to fix this, have searched online and most suggest to delete Icon.db cache thing but doesn't work and I believe that is for like start menu icons missing.Does anyone have any clue how to restore icons back and delete that missing blank entry?...
  3. Icons missing in 'Other system tray icons' in Setting menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Icons missing in 'Other system tray icons' in Setting menu: Hi all,Not sure how to fix this, have searched online and most suggest to delete Icon.db cache thing but doesn't work and I believe that is for like start menu icons missing.Does anyone have any clue how to restore icons back and delete that missing blank entry?...
  4. Hide an icon in the tray menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hide an icon in the tray menu: How can i hide an Icon from the Tray menu the arrow on the taskbar on the right bottom, i just want to remove one icon there but the program itself doesnt have a setting for thati know that there is a "Notification Area Icons" in the old control panel but if i want to hide an...
  5. Hide an icon in the tray menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hide an icon in the tray menu: How can i hide an Icon from the Tray menu the arrow on the taskbar on the right bottom, i just want to remove one icon there but the program itself doesnt have a setting for thati know that there is a "Notification Area Icons" in the old control panel but if i want to hide an...
  6. Hide an icon in the tray menu

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. setting & start menu not working

setting & start menu not working: In my pc has a problem right now but I can't do anything at this moment. please help me. The problem is setting & start menu not working, it automatically off....
  8. Start Menu Button not working again

Start Menu Button not working again: The only thing that seems to work is to reset the machine. All the other troubleshooting steps are not working. Right click works, left click does not, none of the icons works. Come on Microsoft fix this already, its been an issue for years, and resetting computers in a...
  9. Start menu icons not working.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Start menu icons not working.: So, there is a program in my start menu which I deleted that wont go away. I've checked the folders where the start menu icons are located and found no remains of the particular programs' icon. Upon trying to click on the icon, it just gets highlighted and nothing happens....
  10. Tray Icons and Windows Start button stops working.

in Windows 10 Support
    Tray Icons and Windows Start button stops working.: The Tray icons and Windows start button stop working at random times, when this happens nothing shows up when i click the icons. Does anyone know a fix for this issue? 26862