Windows 10: Settings>System>Storage app not responding

Discus and support Settings>System>Storage app not responding in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi every time I go to settings then go to system then storage the screen freezes. I can click on the other icons and they work fine. Also apps &... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by paskdp, Dec 6, 2016.

1. paskdp Win User

Settings>System>Storage app not responding

Hi every time I go to settings then go to system then storage the screen freezes. I can click on the other icons and they work fine. Also apps & Features does the same thing. Is this maybe a software bug? Does anyone else have this problem and is there a fix?

:)

paskdp, Dec 6, 2016
  2. drtrees Win User

users

Windows settings>storage>other people. Thanks for responding.

drtrees, Dec 6, 2016
  3. Microsoft Store

Open Start > Settings > System > Storage

Under More storage settings

Click Change where new content is saved

In the New apps will save to list box then choose the hard disk.

Andre Da Costa, Dec 6, 2016
  4. Settings>System>Storage app not responding

Welcome to the forum.

As a standard diagnostic tool could you open a Command Prompt with Admin privileges and run SFC /scannow and report back your results.

Could you also post what version of 10 you are on, 1511 or 1607. Most systems have been updated through the update process but just to be sure.

Caledon Ken, Dec 6, 2016
  5. vanp Win User
    I just recently went to this screen for the first time in a long time. It goes into permanent 'search' mode, never displaying any information. Attached is a screenprint of this Settings screen. The dots just keep going from left to right, and the process never ends. Storage Service is running.

Settings>System>Storage app not responding [​IMG]

6. Hi vanp

Could you also run sfc /scannow and report results.

What version build are you on?

Windows key + R, type winver, enter

Caledon Ken, Aug 24, 2017
  7. vanp Win User
    I have the current version of CU. What is scannow supposed to do? Will it take a long time to run?

8. Settings>System>Storage app not responding

9. vanp Win User
    Caledon Ken, thanks for responding. I don't have time to deal with this now. It will have to be over the weekend. Is there any chance this process will hose up my computer; should I create a system image first in case something goes wrong? Thanks.

10. Having a system image is always a good idea and you can use Macrium Reflect.

Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect

I would say if you ran SFC 100 times it would not impact or hose system. That said the other day a member turned off IPv6, a communication protocol, and his machine started crashing.

Being Window users we all know not to use the word "Never" or "Impossible". I also keep my personal data backed up off machine. You just never know.

Ken

11. vanp Win User
    I ran scannow. It took a little less than 20 minutes and found nothing wrong. However, the Storage screen now displays properly. I guess I will assume scannow did something, if only by accident.

Thanks, Caledon Ken. As of now, at least, this issue is closed.

12. Excellent. If you get a chance please mark your thread solved.

Caledon Ken, Aug 27, 2017
  13. vanp Win User

I would, but it's not the least bit obvious how to do that.

14. My mistake, again. Only the OP (original poster) can mark solve. Glad yours is fixed, theirs, well we wait.

Had you been the OP, just above the Quick reply box, there would be two boxes, Reply to Thread and Mark as Solved.

Caledon Ken, Aug 28, 2017
  15. vanp Win User
    Got it. It still works. Thanks again.

Thema:

1. Settings>System>Storage app not responding - Similar Threads - Settings>System>Storage app responding

2. Why storage settings> Installed Apps not showing same storage sizes for the apps as...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why storage settings> Installed Apps not showing same storage sizes for the apps as...: I am having a problem with Windows 11 Pro storage settings as I have installed my software " Ableton" which is showing 8.03 gb on Settings> Storage > Installed Apps but the problem is as the software is installed on " ProgramData " Folder Windows C > ProgramData > Ableton...
  3. Why storage settings> Installed Apps not showing same storage sizes for the apps as...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why storage settings> Installed Apps not showing same storage sizes for the apps as...: I am having a problem with Windows 11 Pro storage settings as I have installed my software " Ableton" which is showing 8.03 gb on Settings> Storage > Installed Apps but the problem is as the software is installed on " ProgramData " Folder Windows C > ProgramData > Ableton...
  4. System Reserve Partition and Storage Settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System Reserve Partition and Storage Settings: Hey Community,I was reviewing my laptop from work and I notice a couple issues with the System Reserved files section. It is showing 41GB as the system & Reserved. I was under the impression that the system reserve only needed 500 MB.I then went to my disk management to check...
  5. System Reserve Partition and Storage Settings

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System Reserve Partition and Storage Settings: Hey Community,I was reviewing my laptop from work and I notice a couple issues with the System Reserved files section. It is showing 41GB as the system & Reserved. I was under the impression that the system reserve only needed 500 MB.I then went to my disk management to check...
  6. System Reserve Partition and Storage Settings

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. System settings shows much more app storage than control panel?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    System settings shows much more app storage than control panel?: The system settings shows that all of my apps are taking up 36.2GB, but when I go into programs and features in control panel, it only shows that all my apps are taking up 7.42GB. Why is there such a huge difference between the two? submitted by /u/DaFink212 [link]...
  8. Settings>System>Storage/Local Storage>Temporary Files?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Settings>System>Storage/Local Storage>Temporary Files?: Left click This PC and Temporary files show 3.77GB. When I left click Temporary files to remove the 3.77GB it populates and shows only approx. 20MB of files that can be removed. Where are the rest of the 3.7xGB of temporary files located that are indicated can be removed and...
  9. Settings>System>Storage/Local Storage>Temporary Files?

in Windows 10 Support
    Settings>System>Storage/Local Storage>Temporary Files?: Left click This PC and Temporary files show 3.77GB. When I left click Temporary files to remove the 3.77GB it populates and shows only approx. 20MB of files that can be removed. Where are the rest of the 3.7xGB of temporary files located that are indicated can be removed and...
  10. Apps not responding, system error restarting

in Windows 10 Support
    Apps not responding, system error restarting: Windows 10 seemed to work great in the beginning and then about 2 weeks ago I started having issues. Now I am unable to do anything within windows 10. All apps non responsive and shortly after I have attempted to open anything, system has an error and computer restarts. I...