Windows 10: Settings UI is ugly / CU update feedback

Discus and support Settings UI is ugly / CU update feedback in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I don't mind Microsoft replacing Control Panel and such with something better and more efficient. But The Settings phone like UI is so f.. ugly. What's... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by dimar, Apr 7, 2017.

1. dimar Win User

Settings UI is ugly / CU update feedback

I don't mind Microsoft replacing Control Panel and such with something better and more efficient. But The Settings phone like UI is so f.. ugly. What's even worse, is that MS just removed Control Panel from Win+X shortcuts, and replaced Programs and Feature with Apps and Features, which is extremely inefficient. System info window is also replaced with another inefficient About window, which I find pretty stupid.

I predict that the next major update will get rid of File Explorer, and replace it with metro like UI, removing most of the features.

:)

dimar, Apr 7, 2017
  2. djherceg Win User

WHY IS WP7/8 UI SO BLEEPING UGLY?

I'd like to share my opinion on WP8.1 UI.

I like it, but still think it could be better.

When comparing my Lumia 820 with newest Samsungs and LGs, I cannot but think that my phone's screen is somehow 'squeezed' horizontally, while the Androids have beautiful wide spaceous layouts.

Thinking of it, I came to the conclusion that the wallpaper is to blame. On Windows Phone, the wallpaper only shows through transparent tiles, while on Android it covers the whole screen, with tiles hovering in front of it. Thick black lines between live
    tiles on WP don't help. The UI would look much better, IMO, with a semi-transparent grid and wallpaper covering the whole display area.

Furthermore, what's the point of having a color display when the icon design guidelines ask for monochromatic icons?

I'd like to have a choice regarding the shape of live tiles - slightly rounded corners would improve the looks significantly, I think.

And finally, let's discuss the monochromatic icon backgrounds. I think subtle gradients would do miracles here. Imagine quality ceramic tiles, for example. Even when they are single color, that color is perceived differently, depending on ambient light,
    angle and reflection. Even though modern design trends are against gradients, I tend to disagree. Smart and subtle (emphasis on subtle) gradients, maybe even changing depending on the orientation of the phone, could also improve the looks of the icons.

I love my Lumia and will continue to use and advocate it. But I'm expecting to see 'something beautiful come my way' with the new versions of WP.

Just my 2 cents.

djherceg, Apr 7, 2017
  3. WHY IS WP7/8 UI SO BLEEPING UGLY?

It's personal preference, I like the design myself, I don't see many people complaining about it either. Marketshare is growing, but WP is competing against established giants, it's not going to do an about face overnight.

fredgiblet, Apr 7, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member
  5. Phone Man Win User
    Phone Man, Apr 7, 2017
  6. dimar Win User
    It's true, but don't you find it weird that you have to go through phone like settings to get into normal settings? It just doesn't make sense to me..

dimar, Apr 7, 2017
  7. Phone Man Win User
    Brink, thanks for all the links. Lot of reading and learning in my future.

I am just poking around on this new version.

Two systems updated and one to go. But it will have to wait until next week. I will be at the French Quarter Festival in New Orleans all weekend. *Dinesh

http://fqfi.org/frenchquarterfest/pics.html

Jim *Party

Phone Man, Apr 7, 2017
  8. dimar Win User

Any way to make Control Panel like a retractable menu like in Classic Shell from Win+X power user menu?

dimar, Apr 7, 2017
  9. When the explorer shell (what we know as "the desktop interface") has been completely deprecated (and it will be), then a phone-like UI won't be weird.
    *Sad

Jody Thornton, Apr 7, 2017
  10. Polo6RGTI Win User
    I rarely use the Settings UI.

Polo6RGTI, Apr 7, 2017
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    If you like, you could use an expandable All Tasks Control Panel toolbar on the taskbar. The tutorial below is for Windows 8, but will work in Windows 10 as well. You may need to remove some of the shortcuts that no longer work in W10.

Control Panel All Tasks Toolbar - Create in Windows 8

Brink, Apr 7, 2017
  12. Edwin New Member
    Edwin, Apr 7, 2017
  13. dimar Win User

Along with Win32 API. I'll be officially an old man then *Shock
    Thank the multiverse for Classic Shell !!!

dimar, Apr 7, 2017
  14. enigma101 Win User
    I've installed the new so-called Creator's Update on a total of eight PCs. Two of these now have grey logon & shutdown backgrounds. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm on build 15063.13. All of these machines are running fully licensed Enterprise x64 version which i had to downgrade to Pro for the CU and then upgrade back to Enterprise when finished.

enigma101, Apr 7, 2017
  15. dimar Win User
    Might be software/driver conflict, or hardware failure like RAM or HDD/SSD. Maybe run Memtest and CrystalDiskInfo

dimar, Apr 7, 2017
Thema:

1. Settings UI is ugly / CU update feedback - Similar Threads - Settings ugly update

2. Ugly Fonts and Ugly spacing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Ugly Fonts and Ugly spacing: In the Desktop screen, everything is dispayed as it should be.Normal and easy to use.But in Explorer and Bing, the Font is changed to an UGLY Font with BIG charaters and BIG spacing.Can I change the Font and spacing in Windows 11?TIA...
  3. Ugly Fonts and Ugly spacing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ugly Fonts and Ugly spacing: In the Desktop screen, everything is dispayed as it should be.Normal and easy to use.But in Explorer and Bing, the Font is changed to an UGLY Font with BIG charaters and BIG spacing.Can I change the Font and spacing in Windows 11?TIA...
  4. Weird Setting UI

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Weird Setting UI: [ATTACH] Hi, I just noticed this a while ago. I've become so busy in the past few months that I barely notice my setting UI. Is this really the default one? Or is this part of an update? How to comeback to the one that has an image on it on the side? Is this something...
  5. Diagnostic and Feedback Settings

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Diagnostic and Feedback Settings: My win 10 laptop diagnostic and feedback settings says some of these settings are hidden or managed by my organization. The problem with that is this is my personal laptop. So no organization is controlling or hiding anything. Can someone please help me figure out how I can...
  6. Settings UI

in Windows 10 Customization
    Settings UI: The Settings UI is nothing less than horrendous.I'm looking at at entry in Apps called "WinGet Source" by Microsoft.1 It has nothing saying what it is.2 It has no link to info about what it is.3 It does not allow select / copy.4 When I click Advanced Options then to back,...
  7. The new SETTINGS UI

The new SETTINGS UI: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Default_Cube4646 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jc6py0/the_new_settings_ui/
  8. Segoe UI looks ugly at some sizes

Segoe UI looks ugly at some sizes: I've had this issue for years, since I used 7, and I want to fix it. Segoe UI looks really ugly at 8pt and 10pt on my laptop (only PC I have) and the resolution is 1366x768. If it's bold on 10pt it looks normal (just like 9pt, 11pt and larger). I tried MacType, that broke all...
  9. Windows 10 UI is UGLY and BORING!!

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 UI is UGLY and BORING!!: The Windows 10 UI is less than impressive when it comes to look and feel. Windows 10 seems to be a good operating system. However, you would think that Microsoft could do much more to impress the eye when it comes to the UI of this OS. Windows Vista was hands down the best...
  10. CU Power Settings?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    CU Power Settings?: I just upgraded my laptop to the CU and noticed there is a new option under Processor Power Management of Maximum Processor Frequency which is set to 0 MHz by default! What's this for and how should it be configured? [img] 95529