Windows 10: Setup file sharing in a most secure and convenient way?

Discus and support Setup file sharing in a most secure and convenient way? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, I am setting up file sharing between my laptop & mini desktop PC, both running 10 Pro. I will be sharing content of 4x USB HDDs locally, and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Starlight5, Aug 21, 2018.

1. Setup file sharing in a most secure and convenient way?

Hello,

I am setting up file sharing between my laptop & mini desktop PC, both running 10 Pro. I will be sharing content of 4x USB HDDs locally, and need to make it as secure as possible without resorting to use of different OS or third party software. I am limited to NTFS and Windows for server because I rely on both Bitlocker and Everything! file search heavily.

So far I adjusted SmbClientConfiguration and SmbServerConfiguration on both machines (screenshot below), and removed SMB1 from Windows features.

Both machines have fixed IPs on my home network, so I would like to block SMB (and RDP, since the machine is running headless with dummy FHD monitor adapter) from communicating with any other IPs using built-in Windows firewall - which entries do I need to adjust exactly?

I also assume I better create additional user on the server machine instead of using local administrator credentials, or will it be overkill after applying the measures above?

What else do I need to do?

Please kindly help! I'm very new to this, have literally zero experience working with Windows sharing, and would really appreciate some advice from people with experience and deep understanding of it.

Setup file sharing in a most secure and convenient way? [​IMG]

:)

Starlight5, Aug 21, 2018
  2. btarunr Win User

GlobalScape Gives Business Users Secure and Convenient Mobile File Access

GlobalSCAPE, Inc. introduced a new capability today that enables users to securely access their business files from any popular smartphone or mobile device. The new capability, Secure Mobile Access module, combines TappIn's mobile file access with GlobalSCAPE’s proven solution, Enhanced File Transfer (EFT) Server, and allows businesses and IT departments to control the rapidly growing "Bring Your Own Device" trend.

The Secure Mobile Access module represents the first significant product integration with mobile file sharing innovator TappIn, Inc. since it was acquired by GlobalSCAPE last December. In just two months following the acquisition, GlobalSCAPE completed development to combine the convenience of TappIn’s mobile file access with the strong security measures of EFT Server.

In EFT Server, administrators have a variety of options for managing and controlling user access. With the Secure Mobile Access module, users can access files inside folders, including read-only access for specific users, with the easy-to-use TappIn interface after activating a TappIn account on their mobile device. Because the files are being accessed directly from the source, such as an office computer, and are not stored in the cloud, there is no uploading required before accessing the files.

“In today’s always-on environment, businesses know that employees need and are finding ways to access work files from mobile devices. GlobalSCAPE’s Secure Mobile Access module delivers the convenient access that business users demand with GlobalSCAPE’s enterprise-grade secure file transfer solution, EFT Server,” says GlobalSCAPE CEO Jim Morris. “TappIn’s expertise gives us a significant advantage in developing an advanced, effective mobile access solution, and we’re pleased to now offer these enhanced capabilities to our business customers.”

For more information please visit www.globalscape.com or stop by GlobalSCAPE’s booth number 1659 at the RSA 2012 Conference Feb. 28 to Mar. 1 to see a demo of this new capability.

btarunr, Aug 21, 2018
  3. Setting "Everyone" in File Sharing to Work with Specific Users

I tried post #9 instructions and could not make them work. I am quoting them below for the convenience of anyone following the thread:
    Below is what I did to test the share access. The No. 1 settings granted everyone access. The No. 2 settings granted no user access, including the user on the "white list.":

Setup file sharing in a most secure and convenient way? [​IMG]

toppinglift, Aug 21, 2018
  4. DTG1 Win User

Setup file sharing in a most secure and convenient way?

Cannot access shared network drive

Personally, I wouldnt use Everyone. If anyone hacks into you, they have full access to everything and can demolish everything on your raid. I would rather set up accounts and access separately for each person. That way, I know who did all that damage. In the end with a little extra work, I feel more secure by using Authenticated Users.

If this helps.
    step 1 create non-microsoft account and without email and address without admin rights
    step 2 share a drive or folder to specific user account (if Everyone is listed, remove it)
    step 3 set security > add Authenticated Users (if more than 1 account) or add specific users
    step 3a remove Everyone from list
    step 3b uncheck full control and write for all items listed except SYSTEM and Admin account.
    step 4 right click Start > Computer Management > System Tools > Shared Folders > Shares ... to verify settings and change anything else. You can also see the number of connections to each share here.

Thema:

Setup file sharing in a most secure and convenient way?

1. Setup file sharing in a most secure and convenient way? - Similar Threads - Setup file sharing

2. security vulnerabilities in shared files/directories?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    security vulnerabilities in shared files/directories?: Hi, I'd like some help please. I was trying to get a win10Pro desktop and a Win11 Pro desktop to talk to each other which they now do, but I am concerned if this is secure as I am seeing random Amazon devices in my Network from neighbours? when I boot up though they disappear...
  3. security vulnerabilities in shared files/directories?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    security vulnerabilities in shared files/directories?: Hi, I'd like some help please. I was trying to get a win10Pro desktop and a Win11 Pro desktop to talk to each other which they now do, but I am concerned if this is secure as I am seeing random Amazon devices in my Network from neighbours? when I boot up though they disappear...
  4. Sharing setup

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Sharing setup: I have two different routers for my home network , my downstairs router is hard wired to my upstairs router and both are different type routers though made by Linksys. Anyway what I want to do is share my files and folders from upstairs to downstairs but my laptop uses wifi....
  5. How to manage groups of apps in a convenient way

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to manage groups of apps in a convenient way: I am looking for a solution that will allow me to have essentially a 'game mode' and a 'work mode' with a different set of running apps for each. I know how to manage windows in this way, but am looking for an easy way to control which apps are running. submitted by...
  6. Network Down - File Sharing Mostly Gone

Network Down - File Sharing Mostly Gone: I'm new to the forum, so I apologize for any mistakes in advance. I've been running a network for myself and home business since Windows XP and Windows 7 - so several years. I have about 25 devices with about 13 PCs, a NAS, and multiple android and other devices connected....
  7. Is there an easy way to share files??

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there an easy way to share files??: Hello, I have 2 Win 10 Home machines sitting next to each other on a desk, both connected to the same wifi network. Is there an easy way to transfer files from one machine to the other?? I've been using a flash drive because I have googled my brains out and cannot figure...
  8. Looking for a (convenient) way to increase CPU real time performance

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Looking for a (convenient) way to increase CPU real time performance: I work in both Audio and Video. Latency in video editing isn't really a problem but with audio editing where changes need to be real time, latency becomes a problem. When editing audio I peak at around 40% CPU usage and can render audio nearly 400% faster than real time but...
  9. setup file sharing

setup file sharing: how do I setup file sharing https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/setup-file-sharing/a32c36c7-06aa-4a7e-823d-4aafe80748f9"
  10. The most straight-forward way to share a folder to another computer with Wifi

The most straight-forward way to share a folder to another computer with Wifi: I have googled and read a lot of articles on this supposedly straight-forward task, yet didn't find a straight-forward answer. So I want to ask here and try to word the question in a straight-forward way: What I have: Two PCs, a desktop and a laptop, both running...