Windows 10: setup Same account with different logins/profiles

Discus and support setup Same account with different logins/profiles in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I want to create different usernames or profiles for the same device without creating a new windows account for each. For example, I want one login for... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by caradoc, Aug 24, 2017.

1. caradoc Win User

setup Same account with different logins/profiles

I want to create different usernames or profiles for the same device without creating a new windows account for each. For example, I want one login for the device for my kid when it is used for school, but then another for when it is to be used for recreation/at home so all configuration are separate. Or to add siblings to use who don't have their own windows accounts so they can't use their siblings' personal stuff.
    This used to be quite easy

:)

caradoc, Aug 24, 2017
  2. Jasesc Win User

The User Profile service failed the sign-in.

I'm having the same problem. I can login with my Microsoft account no problem. But any attempts to add new user accounts fail with the "User Profile service failed" error. I've tried two different Microsoft accounts, one of which was never used with my
    computer before (no pre-existing profile), and variations of the family, non-family setups. Hope a resolution comes soon.

Jasesc, Aug 24, 2017
  3. how do i sign out the current profile signed into xbox smartglass?

I'm not sure, but I don't think it works that way.

Windows Phones are setup using a Microsoft account. It is presumed that XBOX Music and XBOX Games use this same account. If that's the case, then sign in automatic. The creation of the random profile linked a temporary xbox profile to your current wp
    login. I don't know if you can link a xbox account that is not your current WP login. Hopefully a game will see this.

You can try to go to xbox .com and look it up there. See if there is a way to link the WP and xbox profiles, and allow 1 click login ,

Or, you can set your phone up using your xbox login.

Again there are tons of options on xbox.com. I originally had my phone login, my zune music account and my xbox as different logins. I learned how to make it all 1 and now when I set up the phone, its 1 account and I see all my music and xbox games too.

check it out.
    http://support.xbox.com/en-US/billing-and-subscriptions/account-management/switch-gamertag-to-different-microsoft-account
    . My gamertag stayed the same...but my accounts were backended tomy login account

Phil101 Outlook, Aug 24, 2017
  4. cereberus Win User

Use local accounts for each user. Sharing an MS account is insecure and you can get things royally tangled up as well.

cereberus, Aug 24, 2017
  5. Samuria Win User
    You will have to set up local account for each profile so they login for each one they don't need ms account

Samuria, Aug 24, 2017
  6. caradoc Win User
    And how do you create a local account?
    (which sounds like what I want)

caradoc, Aug 24, 2017
  7. Kari Win User
    See the tutorial: Add User Account in Windows 10 Windows 10 User Accounts Tutorials

Please notice that Windows 10 Child accounts told in that tutorial (Option One) require a Microsoft account for each child. In your case it might be easier to go with standard local accounts (Option Three).

Kari, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. setup Same account with different logins/profiles - Similar Threads - setup Same account

2. Xbox Account? Microsoft Account? Same? Different? Not working?

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Xbox Account? Microsoft Account? Same? Different? Not working?: Hi,I bought Minecraft on my laptop for my kiddo--required a "Microsoft Account", which I made.When to download the installer, and it forced me to open the "Xbox App". Went to sign in there, and it said "Sign in with Microsoft Account?" I chose "Yes", and it now says that SAME...
  3. Same program runs differently on different logins

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Same program runs differently on different logins: I have a Windows 7 Pro computer on a work network domain that has three logins set up as local admin.I have a laser engraver control program installed by login1.On login1, the program runs in the background with an icon in the dashboard "tray" with a menu that allows the...
  4. Same program runs differently on different logins

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Same program runs differently on different logins: I have a Windows 7 Pro computer on a work network domain that has three logins set up as local admin.I have a laser engraver control program installed by login1.On login1, the program runs in the background with an icon in the dashboard "tray" with a menu that allows the...
  5. Different email same Microsoft account

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Different email same Microsoft account: I changed my email in my Microsoft account, and now i cant log in to my laptop. Cant find the option to change the user or email in the start screen before singing in. I tried the option of reseting the password in the laptop but it goes back to the old user when i have to...
  6. Different email same Microsoft account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Different email same Microsoft account: I changed my email in my Microsoft account, and now i cant log in to my laptop. Cant find the option to change the user or email in the start screen before singing in. I tried the option of reseting the password in the laptop but it goes back to the old user when i have to...
  7. Different email same Microsoft account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Different accounts on the same pc

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Different accounts on the same pc: Hi guys! So my sister and I share a desktop computer that we just bought. We both have our own accounts and they're admin accounts. I was wondering if there is a way that we can't access to each other's stuff (programs, documents, photos). Something like having "two" separate...
  9. Remote into different account on same computer

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Remote into different account on same computer: Is there any way to control (as in, remote login-esk way to use) second account on same computer? I have several different user accounts on my computer, one is for game servers (killing floor, minecraft, etc), I'd like to be able to control it in a window from my main...
  10. Win 10 - Same login - different computers - different mouse settings

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Win 10 - Same login - different computers - different mouse settings: Good afternoon, I have Windows 10 on two computer with the same login profile. On one computer, I have a left handed mouse on it with the buttons switched. On my laptop, it has a normal touch pad. The issue is that my left button on my Desktop is switched so it is back to...