Windows 10: Setup Windows Backup in Windows 10

Discus and support Setup Windows Backup in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Setup Windows Backup in Windows 10 How to Set Up Windows Backup in Windows 10 [img] Information The Backup and Restore (Windows 7)... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by favha, May 29, 2017.

1. favha Win User

Setup Windows Backup in Windows 10

How to: Setup Windows Backup in Windows 10

How to Set Up Windows Backup in Windows 10

Setup Windows Backup in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information The Backup and Restore (Windows 7) feature (aka: Windows Backup) was originally included in Windows 7. It was deprecated in Windows 8 and removed in in Windows 8.1, but has been included in Windows 10.

While you can use Backup and Restore (Windows 7) to restore any Windows 7 backups on your Windows 10 PC, you can also use it to back up and restore files on your Windows 10 PC.

Windows Backup will backup all files in the libraries, folders, and drives you choose or let Windows choose. You will have a choice to include a system image in the backup. You can also choose to have these items be backed up on a regular schedule.

It's always good to have a backup. Keep copies of your files on another drive in case something happens to the originals.

After you have set up Windows Backup, you can make changes to these settings as needed.

This tutorial will show you to set up Windows Backup to backup and restore files on your Windows 10 PC.

You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to setup and use Windows Backup.

Note Windows Backup event logs are stored in the .evtx file below. It will open in Event Viewer when double clicked/tapped on.

*Arrow C:\Windows\System32\winevt\Logs\Microsoft-Windows-Backup.evtx

Backups are created in sets also known as backup periods.

When a backup is created the first time after you set up Windows Backup, Windows will create a full backup of all files in the folders you selected into the drive:\computer name\Backup Set YYYY-MM-DD HHMMSS\Backup Files YYYY-MM-DD HHMMSS folder location. The Backup Files YYYY-MM-DD HHMMSS folder contains Backup files #.zip folders that are your actual backed up files for that date and time period.

When you create a differential backup, it will create a new full backup saved into a new Backup Set YYYY-MM-DD HHMMSS folder.

When you create an incremental backup, it will create a backup all of the files that have changed since the last backup, and saved in a new Backup Files YYYY-MM-DD HHMMSS folder in the current Backup Set YYYY-MM-DD HHMMSS folder.

Here's How:

1. Open Settings, click/tap on the Update & security icon, click/tap on Backup on the left side, and click/tap on the Go to Backup and Restore (Windows 7) link under Looking for and older backup on the right side. (see screenshot below)

Note You can also open Backup and Restore (Windows 7) by opening the Control Panel (icons view), and click/tap on the Backup and Restore (Windows 7) icon.

2. Click/tap on Set up backup. (see screenshot below)

3. Windows Backup will now start. (see screenshot below)

4. Do step 5 (local drive) or step 6 (network location) below for where you want to save your backup.

5. To Save Backup On Local (internal or external) Drive
    A) Select a drive (ex: "Test1 (ESetup Windows Backup in Windows 10 :)"), click/tap on Next, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

6. To Save Backup On a Network Location
    A) Click/tap on the Save on a network button. (see screenshot below)

B) Click/tap on Browse, browse to and select the network location (ex: "\\BRINK-ROUTER\MyBook"), and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

Note If you like, you could manually enter the network location path instead of browsing to and selecting it.

C) Enter your username and password credentials for this network location, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

D) Select this network location (ex: "\\BRINK-ROUTER\MyBook"), click/tap on Next, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

7. Select (dot) Let me choose, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

Note If you do not want to choose what to back up, then you could select (dot) Let Windows choose and go to step 9 below instead.

8. Select the check boxes of the items you want to include in the backup, select if you want to include a system image or not, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

9. Click/tap on the Change schedule link. (see screenshot below)

10. Do step 11 (on) or step 12 (off) below for if you want to automatically run this backup on a schedule or not.

Note You will always be able to turn on or off the schedule as needed.

11. To Turn On Automatically Run backup on a Schedule
    A) Check the Run backup on a schedule box. (see screenshot below)

B) Select How often, What day, and What time you want for the backup schedule.

C) Click/tap on OK, and go to step 13 below.

12. To Turn Off Automatically Run backup on a Schedule
    A) Uncheck the Run backup on a schedule box, click/tap on OK, and go to step 13 below. (see screenshot below)

13. When ready, click/tap on the Save settings and run backup button. (see screenshot below)

14. Windows Backup will now create a backup based on what you set above. (see screenshots below)

15. When the backup has finished, you will be able to click/tap on the Back up now button to manually create an incremental backup on demand whenever you want. (see screenshot below)

16. You can now close Backup and Restore (Windows 7) if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

favha, May 29, 2017
  2. Sumit Dhiman2, May 29, 2017
  3. Sumit Dhiman2, May 29, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, May 29, 2017
  5. Hemimax Win User
    Hi Brink,
    I read somewhere that this app would be discontinued in a future update, do you have any knowledge of that to be true?

Many thanks for this forum.

Hemimax, Aug 11, 2017
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Setup Windows Backup in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Setup Backup

2. Is there a way to delete all the backups that I see on the windows setup process?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there a way to delete all the backups that I see on the windows setup process?: I had to factory reset my pc so many times and now I am want all those windows backups gone in the setup screen when factory resetting my pc. It shows me all my backups from 2019 to now and I want them all gone. Is this possible? Please Advise....
  3. Is there a way to delete all the backups that I see on the windows setup process?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is there a way to delete all the backups that I see on the windows setup process?: I had to factory reset my pc so many times and now I am want all those windows backups gone in the setup screen when factory resetting my pc. It shows me all my backups from 2019 to now and I want them all gone. Is this possible? Please Advise....
  4. Can I restore apps from Windows Backup after initial Windows setup?

Can I restore apps from Windows Backup after initial Windows setup?: I plan on cloning my new laptop's factory-installed SSD to a larger one as soon as I've completed Windows setup to the point where I can download and run the cloning tool. If it's possible, I'd rather not wait for Windows to restore all of the apps it has logged in Windows...
  5. Can I restore apps from Windows Backup after initial Windows setup?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I restore apps from Windows Backup after initial Windows setup?: I plan on cloning my new laptop's factory-installed SSD to a larger one as soon as I've completed Windows setup to the point where I can download and run the cloning tool. If it's possible, I'd rather not wait for Windows to restore all of the apps it has logged in Windows...
  6. Can I use System Image backup from one laptop that have been setup & installed with default...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I use System Image backup from one laptop that have been setup & installed with default...: Hi All,I'm planning to create image from one laptop that have been setup & installed with default company program like Office 365 etc as a template, and I will use that image for copy to other future new laptop -- this will really help me for saving time than starting update...
  7. Can I use System Image backup from one laptop that have been setup & installed with default...

Can I use System Image backup from one laptop that have been setup & installed with default...: Hi All,I'm planning to create image from one laptop that have been setup & installed with default company program like Office 365 etc as a template, and I will use that image for copy to other future new laptop -- this will really help me for saving time than starting update...
  8. Can I use System Image backup from one laptop that have been setup & installed with default...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  9. How to setup automatic backup of Windows Explorer Folders to Microsoft One Drive in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to setup automatic backup of Windows Explorer Folders to Microsoft One Drive in Windows 10?: How to setup automatic backup of Windows Explorer Folders to Microsoft One Drive in Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-setup-automatic-backup-of-windows-explorer/9919693d-f37f-4b77-9398-ec9545a69516
  10. How to setup automatic backup of Windows Explorer Folders to Microsoft One Drive in Windows 10?

How to setup automatic backup of Windows Explorer Folders to Microsoft One Drive in Windows 10?: How to setup automatic backup of Windows Explorer Folders to Microsoft One Drive in Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-setup-automatic-backup-of-windows-explorer/9919693d-f37f-4b77-9398-ec9545a69516