Windows 10: Several orphaned drive partitions after failed linux dual boot install

Discus and support Several orphaned drive partitions after failed linux dual boot install in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Partitions can be merged only when next to each other. Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by CountMike, Apr 5, 2018.

1. CountMike New Member

Several orphaned drive partitions after failed linux dual boot install

Partitions can be merged only when next to each other.

CountMike, Apr 5, 2018
  2. jimbot Win User

Hi,

I am new to windows 10 and have been a mac user for over 10 years...I know booo hisss! *Smile

I wanted to move away from Apple as the prices have continued to rise but the quality of hardware has dropped so I am out.

Anyway, I am a node.js developer and as a result I want to have my dev environment in Linux (Ubuntu based) with windows as my business and pleasure machine.

So today I received my new XPS 15 and tried to install elementary OS (an Ubuntu based os) and the wheels fell off. I have spent most of the evening cleaning up but I am left with at least two partitions that I cannot seem to include back into my C drive.

Please see the image:

Several orphaned drive partitions after failed linux dual boot install [​IMG]

I have two unallocated partitions that I cannot seem to extend my main C volume to. Also, I think some of the other smaller partitions may be hangovers from the attempted install.

Any help on how to get that space back would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

:)

jimbot, Apr 17, 2018
  3. Andre Da Costa, Apr 17, 2018
  4. Several orphaned drive partitions after failed linux dual boot install

Dual boot SSD, Windows 10, kali linux 3

Hi Tech Gurus,

I am wanting to dual boot kali linux with windows 10, however, I partition it in windows 10, I allocate 60 GB for kali linux, secure boot is off, boot from usb is on. I created a live kali image on a 64 gb usb c pen drive, I booted that and tried installing
    it in my ssd and kali linux doesn't seem to recognise the partition.

Then I used the same pen drive to install kali in the same live usb. I am missing something or my procedure is wrong, kali linux doesn't seem to install it in the pendrive. It says kernel is unresponsive and ext4 file format creation failed. So basically
    the installation fails.

I need to either dual boot in the ssd with out affecting the UEFI boot firmware or install it in my pendrive, since it is USB C, can accept the performance. Please recommend and advice.

Truly.

kalyana krishnanSomasekar, Apr 17, 2018
  5. Samuria Win User
    Welcome to the forum. I cant see the details of the paritions to advise the small ones can be the boot efui, recovery and oem drive. You will need some free paritioning software too sort it out as you will have to move things about but until we know what the paritions are we cant help some wont show up under windows or show empty when they are not try MiniTool Partition Wizard | Best partition magic alternative for Windows PC and Server it has lots of tutors Partition Software Tutorial | MiniTool Partition Wizard Tutorial Guide

Samuria, Apr 17, 2018
Thema:

Several orphaned drive partitions after failed linux dual boot install

1. Several orphaned drive partitions after failed linux dual boot install - Similar Threads - Several orphaned drive

2. Remove failed install dual boot kali linux with Windows11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remove failed install dual boot kali linux with Windows11: I tried installing Kali Linux as dual boot, however there were several AMDGPU errors i could not fix, even in the recovery mode. I decided I will go for another linux as dual boot next to Windows 11 at a later stage. First I would like to remove that partition, including all...
  3. Remove failed install dual boot kali linux with Windows11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Remove failed install dual boot kali linux with Windows11: I tried installing Kali Linux as dual boot, however there were several AMDGPU errors i could not fix, even in the recovery mode. I decided I will go for another linux as dual boot next to Windows 11 at a later stage. First I would like to remove that partition, including all...
  4. Kali Linux Dual Boot failed after Windows update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Kali Linux Dual Boot failed after Windows update: I successfully installed Kali Linux dual boot with W11 Home. Hardware: Acer Aspire.It worked well until there was a Windows update.Now I no longer have the option to dual boot. It just boots to W11W11 works fine.I created 100GB of free space by shrinking the C: drive. In Disk...
  5. Kali Linux Dual Boot failed after Windows update

Kali Linux Dual Boot failed after Windows update: I successfully installed Kali Linux dual boot with W11 Home. Hardware: Acer Aspire.It worked well until there was a Windows update.Now I no longer have the option to dual boot. It just boots to W11W11 works fine.I created 100GB of free space by shrinking the C: drive. In Disk...
  6. Deleted linux partition in dual boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Deleted linux partition in dual boot: I was dual booting windows and majaro but I deleted the majaro partition by mistake while increasing its size and now I cannot boot into windows. What can I do?...
  7. Deleted linux partition in dual boot

Deleted linux partition in dual boot: I was dual booting windows and majaro but I deleted the majaro partition by mistake while increasing its size and now I cannot boot into windows. What can I do?...
  8. Windows 10 fails to boot after installing Linux alongside the partition.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 fails to boot after installing Linux alongside the partition.: After I installed Manjaro Linux alongside the Windows 10 partition on my C drive, I haven't been able to boot into Windows. For some odd reason, Windows is being listed in both sda1 and sdb1 which I have tried booting from. Instead of launching properly I get 1 of these...
  9. Delete second EFI partition after removing Linux partition from dual boot

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Delete second EFI partition after removing Linux partition from dual boot: [ATTACH] Hi, I've recently uninstalled Linux from my system by just deleting the volume from Windows 10's disk management utility. I tried to delete the second EFI partition I created during the Linux installation [twice - once Kubuntu and once Manjaro]. When I used...
  10. dual-boot Linux

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    dual-boot Linux: I have a Lenovo laptop with Windows 10 (upgraded from Windows 8.1), and I'm considering setting it up to dual-boot Linux. I just had a look at the HD with Disk Management, and Lenovo has created 6 partitions (C, D, and 4 hidden partitions). Can I get further help here, or is...