Windows 10: SFC not working and neither is DISM

Discus and support SFC not working and neither is DISM in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hey, I'm new here. Maybe I should start a new post, but let me just start here, as this thread is the closest to my problem that I can find. I have a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by 2hdq, Nov 14, 2015.

1. 2hdq Win User

SFC not working and neither is DISM

Hey, I'm new here.
    Maybe I should start a new post, but let me just start here, as this thread is the closest to my problem that I can find.
    I have a very old laptop, but despite the age it has worked relatively fine for my needs with just an HDD change. I bought this at the very end of Vista lifespan with an almost immediate Win7 upgrade offered. I then skipped Win 8 totally, but rolled a Win 10 when it came, and it has been working well. But you get the picture. This machine is old.

Onto the point: I'm getting an occasional fan rev up, with the CPU at 100%. The process is Service Host: Local System (Network Restricted). Recently, I also lost all sound on the computer, which chkdsk /f /r was able to salvage. I have a feeling these might relate to a same problem.
    I researched, and found out that sfc /scannow will help. OK. It starts the verification process, but fails at 18% saying corrupt files exist. When I export the sfcdetails.txt from the log, it does not really report which files are corrupt so as to replace them. 00000e22 [SR] Beginning Verify and Repair transaction and then the logfile ends.

Because I cannot complete SFC, I'm told to run DISM, and that is how I ended up here.
    When I run Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Image version 10.0.10240.16384
    At 20% an error 1726 with remote procedure call failed.

So I go to dowload the ISO and mount it. It will then give me the .esd
    so I'm having my fingers crossed while running Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:esd:F:\Sources\Install.esd:1 /limitaccess

... only to get Image version 10.0.10240.16384
    20% an error 1726. Remote procedure call failed.

Help me out here. What is going on with this machine and how can I get healthy system files without wiping the machine?

Thanks.

:)

2. JamieBas Win User

SFC /scannow and DISM not working

Ok I will try that, but my computer prompted me to restart to repair it. Now I can't seem to get on because there is no 'Skip' option. I left it on overnight to see if chkdsk would finish, but in the morning it told me to restart because Windows couldn't
    start properly. Which meant repeating the process. Any way I can stop it?

EDIT: I managed to get back onto it by unplugging all usb cables, do you think there might be an issue with my keyboard or something?

JamieBas, Nov 14, 2015
  3. SFC /scannow and DISM not working

Major file system corruption. I would run it again to see if it has re-occurred and if so the HD may be failing

For the second test (which is more important) go to the HD maker>download>run

I cant tell you which opengl it is.

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Nov 14, 2015
  4. 2hdq Win User

Problem solved with the Windows 10 fall update 1511.
    Alhough installing the update would always fail after 22% and revert back to the old Windows.

I only managed to run through the install when I let the program delete every program file, setting and driver I had, leaving only my own files intact.

Took a lot of time and patience, but SFC now runs without errors, so the system is fine.

Thema:

1. SFC not working and neither is DISM - Similar Threads - SFC working neither

2. Neither SFC not DISM can repair Windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Neither SFC not DISM can repair Windows: "sfc /scannow" command fails to repair installation with error:"Failed to load package: Package_for_RollupFix~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~22621.755.1.4 [HRESULT = 0x80070017 - ERROR_CRC]""dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth" does not help either, asks for source files -...
  3. Neither SFC not DISM can repair Windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Neither SFC not DISM can repair Windows: "sfc /scannow" command fails to repair installation with error:"Failed to load package: Package_for_RollupFix~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~22621.755.1.4 [HRESULT = 0x80070017 - ERROR_CRC]""dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth" does not help either, asks for source files -...
  4. Windows & USB install neither booting (trying SFC & DISM)

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows & USB install neither booting (trying SFC & DISM): Please bare with me to while I explain my unique situation. I bought my new MSI GL73 9SC-028 in May 2020, never had problems with it before. I even upgraded the memory with RAM I bought at same time (from 8 GB to 16 GB), never problems. Then I bought 64 GB RAM of the right...
  5. DISM AND SFC /SCANNOW NOT WORKING

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    DISM AND SFC /SCANNOW NOT WORKING: yesterday i played my game very smooth but today when i start playing it i found it very laggy i try the folowing comand ''SFC /SCANNOW" but stuck at 43% after that i run 'DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth' but stuck again help me plz......
  6. DISM and SFC not working.

DISM and SFC not working.: Hey, everybody. I can't run DISM or SFC on my computer. When I run Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth, it says this: Code: Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool Version: 10.0.16299.15 Image Version: 10.0.16299.64 Error: 216 This version of %1 is not...
  7. DISM and SFC not working.

in Windows 10 Support
    DISM and SFC not working.: Hey, everybody. I can't run DISM or SFC on my computer. When I run Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth, it says this: Code: Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool Version: 10.0.16299.15 Image Version: 10.0.16299.64 Error: 216 This version of %1 is not...
  8. SFC and DISM not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    SFC and DISM not working: So I have a windows home edition and when I run a command on cmd on admin. the scan is stuck like this[ATTACH] It is like this for both the commands. There's nothing afterwards Please give me a fix...
  9. SFC and DISM not working at all

SFC and DISM not working at all: 2016-04-18 Hi, glad to be again intouch with you. My laptop is one HPEnvy 17t-jooo – CTO Quad Edition, the previous OS was Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit andI upgraded it to 10 Pro 64bit the same day after receiving the Microsoftinvitation. On January 2016, I performed a clean...
  10. DISM and SFC

DISM and SFC: I posted in the Win 8 forum but saw I should have posted here. I read the corrective material in Win 8 as to how to fix this missing or corrupted files issue but either it is over my level or it is too difficult for me. I have run both programs and rebooted. i have run in...