Windows 10: SFC /Scannow can't repair storport.sys, DISM.exe can't find the source 0x800f081f. Random...

Discus and support SFC /Scannow can't repair storport.sys, DISM.exe can't find the source 0x800f081f. Random... in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello there, I've spent about 2 days trying to pinpoint the problem and I can't find the solution. At some point after recent updates my system... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by id Omikron, Jul 17, 2018.

1. SFC /Scannow can't repair storport.sys, DISM.exe can't find the source 0x800f081f. Random...

Hello there, I've spent about 2 days trying to pinpoint the problem and I can't find the solution.

At some point after recent updates my system started BSODing so I updated everything, every possible driver, even MB bios, and of course windows was updated as well.

Right now I have win 10 pro build 1803 17134.167.

I tried to run sfc /scannow - it always gives me the same error - some corrupted files were found but program was unable to fix them.

So I went to DISM.exe and used most recent windows iso as a source for the replacement.

However DISM also failed to fix anything. I used these commands:

Dism /mount-wim /wimFile:"c:\install.wim" /index:1/ MountDir:"%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\mount"
    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:"%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\mount\windows" /LimitAccess

I tried different mounting and source options, and tried about 10 different windows 10 isos but every attempt gave me the same result. Tried disabling antivirus and firewall, tried booting from the win10 dvd.

Dism always returns me an error 0x800f081f - the source files could not be found.

Here are my logs:

SFC log

Dism log

Recent bsod dump

:)

id Omikron, Jul 17, 2018
  2. RejZoR Win User

Can't get SFC and DISM to work anymore on Win10

Ok, can someone help me out because this crap is starting to piss me off. There was once a time when you could simply run SFC and DISM to check Windows files integrity and if there were any problems found with the local files, Windows repaired it automatically. The reason why I want to run this is because I'm getting stupendously huge amount of errors and warnings in Event Viewer, but I don't want to run refresh because it'll mess up tons of apps.

Commands I used:
    sfc /scannow
    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Fast forward few years and we now have glorious Windows 10. Trying to run the same tools, they find errors but stubbornly refuse to fix ANYTHING. What's the god damn point of it then?

Sfc finds issues but can't repair them and DISM constantly bitches how it can't find the source. All this used to work directly in Windows 7, but in Win 10, nothing. This was one of the best features to get OS back in good state and they go and ruin it. Because Microsoft!

I've checked this thread:
    https://social.technet.microsoft.co...sfc-failed-to-repair?forum=win10itprohardware

Nothing worked. And they keep mentioning install.wim where my Windows image downloaded from Microsoft itself! only carries install.esd which I can't seem to use with anything.

I've also tried this tool:
    CodePlex Archive

Which again wants .wim file and refuses to work with esd.

RejZoR, Jul 17, 2018
  3. SFC /Scannow can't repair storport.sys, DISM.exe can't find the source 0x800f081f. Random... :( DISM (Error 0x800f081f) and SFC (Failed to Repair)

Hi Brink,

Your tutorial regarding this error (see title) is wonderfully written and I give you two thumbs up, but so far no joy for me. I have tried everything in your tutorial from running all the steps suggested as much in an elevated Command Prompt as in PowerShell to no avail. I have attached the "sfcdetails.text" file for you to check out and see if you can come up with any valid suggestions with regard to my case.

I am a little bit hesitant to refresh Windows 10 since I have lots of applications and it will be mind-boggling to reinstall all of them. Below you have either a screenshot or a copy/paste of all the steps I have tried so far:

A-DISM CLEANUP-IMAGE TOOL IN POWERSHELL

Windows PowerShell
    Copyright (C) 2015 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Repair-WindowsImage -Online -CheckHealth
    Path :
    Online : False
    ImageHealthState : Repairable
    RestartNeeded : False

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Repair-WindowsImage -Online -ScanHealth
    Path :
    Online : False
    ImageHealthState : Repairable
    RestartNeeded : False

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth
    Repair-WindowsImage : The restore operation failed. Either the repair source was not found or the component store
    cannot be repaired.
    At line:1 char:1
    + Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (*Smile [Repair-WindowsImage], COMException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.Dism.Commands.RepairWindowsImageCommand

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:wim:E:\sources\install.wim:1 /limitaccess

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
    Version: 10.0.10240.16384
    Image Version: 10.0.10240.16384
    [==========================100.0%==========================]
    Error: 0x800f081f
    The source files could not be found.
    Use the "Source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more informat
    ion on specifying a source location, see Configure a Windows Repair Source.
    The DISM log file can be found at C:\WINDOWS\Logs\DISM\dism.log
    PS C:\WINDOWS\system32>

B-REPAIRING WINDOWS 10 IMAGE USING DISM:

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.10240]
    (c) 2015 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
    C:\WINDOWS\system32>Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
    The component store is repairable.
    The operation completed successfully.

C:\WINDOWS\system32> Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
    The component store is repairable.
    The operation completed successfully.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
    Use the "Source" option to specify the location of the files that are required t
    o restore the feature. For more information on specifying a source location, see
    Configure a Windows Repair Source.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:wim:E:\so
    urces\install.wim:1 /limitaccess
    Use the "Source" option to specify the location of the files that are required t
    o restore the feature. For more information on specifying a source location, see
    Configure a Windows Repair Source.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

SFC /Scannow can't repair storport.sys, DISM.exe can't find the source 0x800f081f. Random... [​IMG]

I am really hoping that you can have a look at my case. Thanks.

IronZorg89, Jul 17, 2018
  4. Steve C Win User

SFC /Scannow can't repair storport.sys, DISM.exe can't find the source 0x800f081f. Random...

SFC /SCANNOW Errors After Update

I've just updated a Windows 8.1 Pro PC to Windows 10 using the Techbench ISO which updated without any problems. However, I've just run sfc /scannow and it found errors it could not repair. I have managed to get sfc /scannow to run without errors - see what I did below:

• Ran sfc /scannow which showed error "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them."
    • Ran Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth which reported "The component store is repairable."
    • Ran Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth which failed with Error: 0x800f081f "The source files could not be found.Use the "Source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature."
    • Mounted the W10 Techbench ISO and ran Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:wim:G:\sources\install.wim:1 /limitaccess which reported successfully "The restore operation completed successfully."
    • Ran sfc /scannow wich completed successfully with report "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them."

Please advise:
    • Why would sfc /scannow fail on a newly updated installation which ran sfc /scannow error free immediately before the upgrade?
    • Why did I have to use install.wim from the Techbench ISO at step 4 above for Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth to work and will I have to use install.wim from the Techbench ISO every time I need to run this Dism command?
    • How can I configure my PC so it has the correct install.wim file for the Dism command to work properly?

Steve C, Jul 17, 2018
Thema:

SFC /Scannow can't repair storport.sys, DISM.exe can't find the source 0x800f081f. Random...

1. SFC /Scannow can't repair storport.sys, DISM.exe can't find the source 0x800f081f. Random... - Similar Threads - SFC Scannow can't

2. DISM can't find source.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    DISM can't find source.: So i've been having some pretty severe issues with Windows recently.https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/computer-freezing-and-crashing-randomly-updated/c2e680bc-e756-4bba-99b4-b69bc2f063dbIt's SEVERLY hindered my ability to do pretty much anything on it.But...
  3. Can't run Sfc /scannow and Dism scan

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't run Sfc /scannow and Dism scan: When i run DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth or DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /Restorehealth, i will get a error like Error: 483 The request failed due to a fatal device hardware error. The DISM log file can be found at C:\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log. i searched google for...
  4. Random freezes, sfc /scannow can't repair some files

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Random freezes, sfc /scannow can't repair some files: Windows 10 Version: 1909 (OS Build 18363.752) Few weeks ago I noticed my laptop randomly freezes - I can't do anything when this happens and my only option is to shut it off using the button (which isn't a great idea obviously) It's happened maybe 4 times so far, once when...
  5. DISM Can't Find Sources

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    DISM Can't Find Sources: I've been trying to fix a laptop that got corrupted after an antivirus was running during a windows update. It booted but couldn't get past the login screen. Tried several things to at least get logged on but started focusing more on repairing the corruption off of a repair...
  6. SFC scannow and DISM can't repair MicrosoftEdgeSquare44x44

SFC scannow and DISM can't repair MicrosoftEdgeSquare44x44: So I ran sfc scannow because I feel something odd about my windows, I have felt this since couple months ago. The result was "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them". Below I attach my cbs log. I did run the sfc scannow couple times...
  7. SFC scannow and DISM can't repair MicrosoftEdgeSquare44x44

in Windows 10 Support
    SFC scannow and DISM can't repair MicrosoftEdgeSquare44x44: So I ran sfc scannow because I feel something odd about my windows, I have felt this since couple months ago. The result was "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them". Below I attach my cbs log. I did run the sfc scannow couple times...
  8. :( DISM (Error 0x800f081f) and SFC (Failed to Repair)

:( DISM (Error 0x800f081f) and SFC (Failed to Repair): I was having some issues with Cortana on the recently released windows 10, so decided to run a SFC /Scan Now and DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /restorehealth. DISM Failed with "Error: 0x800f081f The source files could not be found. Use the "Source" option to...
  9. sfc /scannow cant fix errors dism is unable to find source.

sfc /scannow cant fix errors dism is unable to find source.: I've been using Microsoft's OSs since dos 6ish and win 3.11. I always adapt early and usually figure the bugs out on my own, this time not so much. So i updated from win 8.1 pro x64 to win 10 pro x64 on day 2 of RTM as soon as I got my invite. I had been wanting to do a clean...
  10. "Error (0x800F081F) - DISM Unable to find source" & "sfc /scannow"

in Windows 10 Support
    "Error (0x800F081F) - DISM Unable to find source" & "sfc /scannow": I have upgraded 5 machines and clean installed 3 machines. Experienced an issue with one machine with continuous corruption problems After the 3rd attempt I discovered that even with a Clean Install of Win 10 I get unrepairable errors - Sorry I don't have screen...