Windows 10: SFC scannow offline

Discus and support SFC scannow offline in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; This is my first post on this excellent forum. I have been trying to run a sfc scan, both online and offline, but neither will get very far before the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Treble, Feb 17, 2018.

1. Treble Win User

SFC scannow offline

This is my first post on this excellent forum. I have been trying to run a sfc scan, both online and offline, but neither will get very far before the system cancels them.
    I read up (here as I recall) on how to run the scan offline. So far I have named 'C' as both offbootdir and offwindir, but I think this may be wrong.
    I am attaching an image of disk mapping for what I believe is my 'hybrid' Asus s550cb notebook, running win 10, fully patched except the recent update (KB4074588) which will not install properly. As part of my system, there is a small SSD drive in addition to what is revealed by the attached image.
    My question is, how to know which drives I should name for the sfc scan from boot. The image reveals only C & D with assigned drive letters, with D containing only personal data. Disk management does not allow assigned letters to the other partitions, so if I need one of those, I seem to be unable to run the sfc scan.
    Any help with this will be much appreciated.
    Thanks and regards to all.

:)

Treble, Feb 17, 2018

2. cmd.exe Application Error Windows 10 (0xc0000142)

Got it. Meanwhile, try running SFC scannow in offline mode.

Access WinRE and then run

SFC Scannow offline

Ramesh Srinivasan, Feb 17, 2018
  3. Buffy201 Win User
    sfc /scannow

This did not work .. My laptop won't even boot to windows

Buffy201, Feb 17, 2018
  4. dalchina New Member

SFC scannow offline

To find your Windows drive letter from an offline command prompt or having booted your PC from a boot disk such as Kari's very useful one available from the top of the Software and Apps section here:

a. the simple, crude pragmatic approach- from a command prompt use the DIR command on the various drive letters available and so discover which drive letter contains your Windows folder

b. the more sophisticated approach:
    use BCDEDIT - see step 5 in the guide below:

SFC Offline:
    How to Run SFC OFFLINE (System File Checker tool) - wintips.org - Windows Tips How-tos

dalchina, Feb 17, 2018
  5. EdTittel Win User
    You can also use diskpart to display this kind of information. Like so:

SFC scannow offline [​IMG]

HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Feb 17, 2018
  6. Treble Win User
    Thanks. I have now used a boot disc which i made a while ago with Macrium Reflect. That gave an option to open a Command Prompt, from which I tried to run sfc again, using the offboot and offwin string. However, I am getting a 'WRP could not start the service' or 'system repair pending' message. I assume the 'system repair' means the looping update, as i am not aware of anything else.
    This really is a very frustrating situation.

Treble, Feb 18, 2018
  7. dalchina New Member
    Hi, assuming from your first post that you can log in, try a couple of disk checks:
    1. Hard Disk Sentinel (trial) - best report- (or failing that a portable version of Crystal Diskinfo)
    2. From an admin command prompt
    chkdsk c: /scan

and report the results

What if anything is the actual problem you are trying to fix- other than running SFC /SCANNOW?

You can work through this:
    http://www.thewindowsclub.com/window...repair-service

and you might like to try the Image Health utility at post #2 here:
    Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk - Windows 10 Forums

dalchina, Feb 18, 2018
  8. zbook New Member

SFC scannow offline

Many times when sfc /scannow is malfunctioning or finds corruption that it cannot fix the DISM commands can fix OS corruption.

Open administrative command prompt and type or copy and paste:
    1) dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth
    2) dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
    3) sfc /scannow
    4) chkdsk /scan
    5) When these have completed > right click on the top bar or title bar of the administrative command prompt box > left click on edit then select all > right click on the top bar again > left click on edit then copy > paste into the thread

This is a link on the multiple DISM commands to repair a Windows image:
    Use DISM to Repair Windows 10 Image Windows 10 Tutorials

If there are problems where neither scannow nor restorehealth fix underlying OS problems the next step that can fix both is an in place upgrade repair:

This is a link on the in place upgrade repair:
    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade Windows 10 Tutorials

zbook, Feb 19, 2018
  9. Treble Win User
    I can report that my problem (installing updates properly) started after the Creators update. Throughout all of this my machine has and still does run very well indeed. My only outstanding issue is that of a correct and full installation of KB4048955 which shows as installed in the "uninstall updates" list, but which will always try to install again when I allow updates to run. The loop is continuous, slowing down my system as it never stops using my resources.
    Here is the report from DISM, SFC and CHKDSK. I will try the scans suggested by dalchina shortly.
    Many thanks for your continued help.

(c) 2017 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
    Version: 10.0.16299.15

Image Version: 10.0.16299.64

[======= 12.8% ]
    Error: 605

The specified buffer contains ill-formed data.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\WINDOWS\Logs\DISM\dism.log

C:\WINDOWS\system32>dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
    Version: 10.0.16299.15

Image Version: 10.0.16299.64

[===== 9.9% ]
    Error: 605

The specified buffer contains ill-formed data.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\WINDOWS\Logs\DISM\dism.log

C:\WINDOWS\system32>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
    Verification 13% complete.

Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>chkdsk /scan
    The type of the file system is NTFS.
    Volume label is OS.

Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ...
    413440 file records processed.
    File verification completed.
    11706 large file records processed.
    0 bad file records processed.

Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ...
    15778 reparse records processed.
    499752 index entries processed.
    Index verification completed.
    0 unindexed files scanned.
    0 unindexed files recovered to lost and found.
    15778 reparse records processed.

Stage 3: Examining security descriptors ...
    Security descriptor verification completed.
    43157 data files processed.
    CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
    37946336 USN bytes processed.
    Usn Journal verification completed.

Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems.
    No further action is required.

89432039 KB total disk space.
    46389796 KB in 168806 files.
    123464 KB in 43158 indexes.
    0 KB in bad sectors.
    526383 KB in use by the system.
    65536 KB occupied by the log file.
    42392396 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
    22358009 total allocation units on disk.
    10598099 allocation units available on disk.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

Treble, Feb 19, 2018
  10. Treble Win User
    I have installed Disk Sentinal. Here is what appears to be a perfect report.

SFC scannow offline [​IMG]

Treble, Feb 19, 2018
  11. dalchina New Member
    If SFC /SCANNOW and DISM both fail, an in-place upgrade repair install which keeps all programs and data and most settings is the next step.

Please confirm your build is 1709 (16299)
    Windows key + R, winver.
    @zbook posted the link to the tutorial

Make sure you have at least 20Gb spare (and a bit more) on your C: partition - enough for windows.old and some working space.

Note: if you wished, and don't need the manufacturer's recovery partition (20Gb) you could delete that. Or you may wish to keep it or archive it for future resale.

dalchina, Feb 19, 2018
  12. Treble Win User
    Grateful thanks to all who contributed to resolving my update problem. The in-place upgrade from an iso file did the trick and although the procedure took a long time, it was of course worth every minute. I am now fully updated and my system is running very well.
    Thanks again and kind regards.

Treble, Feb 20, 2018
  13. dalchina New Member

SFC scannow offline

Great- don't forget to create a new base disk image (e.g. Macrium Reflect- free + external storage) before something goes wrong- and routinely update the image (differential imaging) thereafter..

dalchina, Feb 20, 2018
  14. Treble Win User
    Yes indeed! A Macrium image is next on my list!

Treble, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

SFC scannow offline

1. SFC scannow offline - Similar Threads - SFC scannow offline

2. sfc /scannow

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    sfc /scannow: Whenever i try to do sfc /scannow in cmd i get this message : Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sfc-scannow/797942d5-5528-46b0-8d2f-6bfea428c9f6
  3. Sfc /scannow

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Sfc /scannow: Hi.I run sfc /scannow as administrator and after finished I got :Windows resource protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them .Then I restart pc .My question should I do dism or not because I search about it and didn't find an answer. Thanx for help...
  4. sfc /scannow

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    sfc /scannow: Hello! When I try to enter the command, it gives me an error:sfc : The term 'sfc' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.At...
  5. SFC /Scannow

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SFC /Scannow: When I do the SFC /Scannow from the CMD and within the admin area I am seeing after the scan the Verify Only is showing as No repair operation is performed.Is this informing me that I have to do the repair or no repair is needed from my end?Kenneth...
  6. sfc /scannow

in Windows 10 Gaming
    sfc /scannow: Hey.I've exhuasted all recommendations regarding how to fix the sfc/ scannow command and make it work, namely did the trustedinstaller thing from cmd, i changed the windows modules installer to auto and then back to manual, but I keep receiving the same messages. When I type...
  7. SFC / scannow

in Windows 10 Customization
    SFC / scannow: I ran SFC / scannow and I'm not sure there was a message. What can I do? I check the application event log for events 1001 and “SFC” I check the DISM.log file I use findstr in CMD to find "[SR]" entries in CBS.log Or Run SFC / showlog...
  8. sfc /scannow

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    sfc /scannow: Hi all, does anyone know anything about the logs in sfc /scannow? When I scan my Windows I get no integrity violations however in my logs I see a few things such as: 0000018b Warning: Overlap: Directory \??\C:\Program Files (x86)\ is owned twice or has its security set...
  9. sfc /scannow

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    sfc /scannow: i ran sfc /scannow and got when it reched around 54% i got the followingmessage "Windows Resources Protection could not perform the requested operation" https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sfc-scannow/425af61f-5e61-4f8e-badc-1e44ae02698e
  10. sfc /scannow

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    sfc /scannow: when I run sfc /scannow in command prompt it will only run to 71% and than it stop, how can i fix that problem? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sfc-scannow/5f81a97e-769a-413c-8139-2871d8c08b5f

Users found this page by searching for:

1. sfc offline