Windows 10: sfc /scannow taking forever...

Discus and support sfc /scannow taking forever... in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; @zbook If the time is the issue you can open the log and see what it did from start to finish. cbs.log Thanks for reminding me of the log.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Geosammy, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Geosammy Win User

sfc /scannow taking forever...

@zbook

Thanks for reminding me of the log.
    I'm aware of it and will have a close look at it.
    Thanks again.*Smile

Geosammy, Apr 4, 2018
  2. Geosammy Win User

I just did a clean install of the latest Windows updated version of 1803 (OS Build 17134.1) and the sfc /scannow command is taking forever to complete.
    It's been on 8% for over an hour now and still running.

What gives?

:)

Geosammy, Apr 30, 2018
  3. auto update fails

I've already tried that, I have since done a system file check with the "admin command prompt" sfc/ scannow. and trying to download again. Fingers crossed but its taking forever !!

Bobhickling, Apr 30, 2018
  4. Buffy201 Win User

sfc /scannow

This did not work .. My laptop won't even boot to windows

Buffy201, Apr 30, 2018
  5. Could be any number of things I suppose. Have you tried exiting and restarting it? I have had it "get stuck" before and that usually solved it.

indianacarnie, Apr 30, 2018
  6. Geosammy Win User
    I clicked on the maximize icon,
    of the CMD dialog.
    Then clicked on the minimize icon and the sfc /scannow process shot well over 30% and seems to be running quite well now.

It finally completed the scan,
    without any integrity violations.

Very odd behavior...

Geosammy, Apr 30, 2018
  7. ltron Win User
    Have you got memory integrity enabled in the core isolation setting in Windows Security Centre(formerly Windows Defender)? This gives me similar issues with SFC.

ltron, May 1, 2018
  8. Geosammy Win User

I'm afraid that wasn't the case.
    I have it turned off.
    As can be seen in my screenshot below.

sfc /scannow taking forever... [​IMG]

By all accounts,
    things seem to be running nicely.

Geosammy, May 1, 2018
  9. zbook New Member
    Perform the following steps and report the results into the thread.

Open administrative command prompt and type or copy and paste:
    1) dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth
    2) dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
    3) chkdsk /scan
    4) When these have completed > right click on the top bar or title bar of the administrative command prompt box > left click on edit then select all > right click on the top bar again > left click on edit then copy > paste into the thread

zbook, May 1, 2018
  10. Geosammy Win User
    @zbook

I understand that you're trying to help.
    However,
    everything is running fine and very quickly.

With scf scans working correctly with no integrity violations.

The chkdsk /scan shows nothing wrong.

Why should I run the dism commands?

Geosammy, May 1, 2018
  11. zbook New Member
    The dism commands above can be run as needed.
    If sfc /scannow is ok then you are set.

If the time is the issue you can open the log and see what it did from start to finish.
    cbs.log

zbook, May 1, 2018
  12. Geosammy Win User
    @zbook

Okay thanks! *Thumbs

Geosammy, May 1, 2018
Thema:

1. sfc /scannow taking forever... - Similar Threads - sfc scannow taking

2. sfc /scannow

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    sfc /scannow: Whenever i try to do sfc /scannow in cmd i get this message : Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sfc-scannow/797942d5-5528-46b0-8d2f-6bfea428c9f6
  3. Sfc /scannow

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Sfc /scannow: Hi.I run sfc /scannow as administrator and after finished I got :Windows resource protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them .Then I restart pc .My question should I do dism or not because I search about it and didn't find an answer. Thanx for help...
  4. sfc /scannow

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    sfc /scannow: Hello! When I try to enter the command, it gives me an error:sfc : The term 'sfc' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.At...
  5. SFC /Scannow

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SFC /Scannow: When I do the SFC /Scannow from the CMD and within the admin area I am seeing after the scan the Verify Only is showing as No repair operation is performed.Is this informing me that I have to do the repair or no repair is needed from my end?Kenneth...
  6. sfc /scannow

in Windows 10 Gaming
    sfc /scannow: Hey.I've exhuasted all recommendations regarding how to fix the sfc/ scannow command and make it work, namely did the trustedinstaller thing from cmd, i changed the windows modules installer to auto and then back to manual, but I keep receiving the same messages. When I type...
  7. SFC / scannow

in Windows 10 Customization
    SFC / scannow: I ran SFC / scannow and I'm not sure there was a message. What can I do? I check the application event log for events 1001 and “SFC” I check the DISM.log file I use findstr in CMD to find "[SR]" entries in CBS.log Or Run SFC / showlog...
  8. sfc /scannow

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    sfc /scannow: Hi all, does anyone know anything about the logs in sfc /scannow? When I scan my Windows I get no integrity violations however in my logs I see a few things such as: 0000018b Warning: Overlap: Directory \??\C:\Program Files (x86)\ is owned twice or has its security set...
  9. sfc /scannow

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    sfc /scannow: i ran sfc /scannow and got when it reched around 54% i got the followingmessage "Windows Resources Protection could not perform the requested operation" https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sfc-scannow/425af61f-5e61-4f8e-badc-1e44ae02698e
  10. sfc /scannow

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    sfc /scannow: when I run sfc /scannow in command prompt it will only run to 71% and than it stop, how can i fix that problem? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sfc-scannow/5f81a97e-769a-413c-8139-2871d8c08b5f

Users found this page by searching for:

1. sfc scan taking forever

2. sfc taking forever to complete