Windows 10: "Shadow Copies of volume C: aborted" (Event ID 36)...

Discus and support "Shadow Copies of volume C: aborted" (Event ID 36)... in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, The error wiil also crop up when you run Wise Diskcleaner's Advanced cleaning and let it create a restore point while have the feature... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by oxonsi, Feb 20, 2017.

1. fdegrove Win User

"Shadow Copies of volume C: aborted" (Event ID 36)...

Hi,

The error wiil also crop up when you run Wise Diskcleaner's Advanced cleaning and let it create a restore point while have the feature disabled.
    Possibly any other software that tries to do the same thing too.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Feb 21, 2017
  2. lx07 Win User

Macrium (and pretty much every backup software) uses VSS.

Funnily enough I replaced Apple HFS driver with Paragon HFS driver as it didn't cause the issue. Perhaps their EXTFS is less good or it could be a red-herring.

If you don't care to make restore points and whatever backup software you use works I'd not worry about it but the drivers are loaded earlier in the boot process. You'd have to stop the driver loading with autoruns not just disable the service.

3. oxonsi Win User
    I use Macrium Reflect to frequently save image files to an external hard drive. That works well for me. It is the main reason I feel OK with disabling System Restore.

Are shadow copies the same as restore points, or how are they related to one another?

I'm not inclined to remove ExtFS for Windows. I don't use it all of the time, but it is handy to have every once in a while.

Is there anything else you'd recommend doing to address the Event ID 36, or can I safely ignore?

Thanks for all the info!

oxonsi, Feb 22, 2017
  4. f14tomcat Win User

In the case of Macrium and like software, shadow copies are simply a snapshot mechanism to "freeze" a pic of the image while it's being created. So as to not try to deal with a moving target. There are several VSS writers, at least 5 or 6, that capture any data trying to be written so the image is pure. When Macrium and others finish, you will see they are "closing" VSS, which means they are checkpointing the data held back.....flushing it to get the SSD/HDD back up to date. They're not Restore Points, just temp holding areas.

f14tomcat, Feb 22, 2017
  5. lx07 Win User
    What @f14tomcat says is correct. My Apple HFS driver broke VSS (so both restore points and Macrium).

If Macrium is working (and it tells you if it is not) then don't worry about it.

6. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

The event log is generated by Windows itself in this case. It tries to create a restore point but it can't due to the imposed space limit.
    That's why I suggested TS to look at the registry because something is not correct.
    No big deal if left as is but still.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Feb 22, 2017
  7. oxonsi Win User
    Thanks for the replies and info.

Yes, I just did an image backup with Macrium Reflect, and it reported successful completion.

I will take a look at the registry info fdegrove posted in reply #10 and compare it to mine. I'll see if I can determine why Windows thinks system protection is enabled.

Thanks again *Smile

oxonsi, Feb 22, 2017
  8. oxonsi Win User

I did not see anything obviously wrong with my registry entries for volsnap and enum. Below are screen clips of registry and my system properties showing protection off for all drives.

Let me know if you see anything "off" that I may have missed. My next step will be to follow the instructions from the support forum...

Thanks!

"Shadow Copies of volume C: aborted" (Event ID 36)... [​IMG]

oxonsi, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. "Shadow Copies of volume C: aborted" (Event ID 36)... - Similar Threads - Shadow Copies volume

2. Volume shadow copy error

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Volume shadow copy error: Event viewer error.Unexpected error calling routine ConvertStringSidToSidS-1-5-21-442981339-3756801702-44240739-1001.bak hr=0x80070359.The security structure is invalid.Any clues, please?...
  3. Volume shadow copy error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Volume shadow copy error: Event viewer error.Unexpected error calling routine ConvertStringSidToSidS-1-5-21-442981339-3756801702-44240739-1001.bak hr=0x80070359.The security structure is invalid.Any clues, please?...
  4. Volume shadow copy error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Volume Shadow Copy Service error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Hi in recent few days im geting this eror message Help?Log Name: Application Source: VSS Date: 27.5.2023. 11:11:15 Event ID: 13 Task Category: None Level: Error Keywords: Classic User: N/A Computer: Binux1984 Description: Volume Shadow Copy Service information: The COM Server...
  6. Volume Shadow Copy Service error

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Hi in recent few days im geting this eror message Help?Log Name: Application Source: VSS Date: 27.5.2023. 11:11:15 Event ID: 13 Task Category: None Level: Error Keywords: Classic User: N/A Computer: Binux1984 Description: Volume Shadow Copy Service information: The COM Server...
  7. Volume Shadow Copy Service Not Working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Volume Shadow Copy Service Not Working: I am trying to backup my files but it is disabled. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/volume-shadow-copy-service-not-working/1d0404ed-9d64-47cb-a1a6-19242309da97
  8. Volume Shadow Copy Service Not Working

Volume Shadow Copy Service Not Working: I am trying to backup my files but it is disabled. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/volume-shadow-copy-service-not-working/1d0404ed-9d64-47cb-a1a6-19242309da97
  9. Volume Shadow Copy Service Not Working

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  10. Volume Shadow Copy and Restore Points

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Volume Shadow Copy and Restore Points: I am noticing I cant find my Automatic Restore Points AND I cant find the Restore Points Windows creates after a Quality Update .. in the System Restore application. I just checked my Task Scheduler for Restore Points and the last task to create an Automatic Restore point...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 shadow copy aborted